ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Windshield with distorted view at lower left...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 05:52 PM
lexus2009j
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield with distorted view at lower left...

Greetings all,
I've recently purchased a used 09 ES350 from Brooklyn Bay Ridge Lexus, didn't realized the front windshield was a cheap XYG aftermarket replacement, and it creates distorted view when I look to the lower left from driver's seat. A friend of mine works at a different brand dealer told me that they don't take back leased vehicle unless it has factory/OEM parts with aftermarket windshields, obviously my own mistake didn't ask my Dealer if this was the case with them as well. Does anyone else have this similar experience and don't mind share some thoughts? I've emailed my Sales about it but I don't think he will offer anything for free.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-12, 06:10 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like your dealer did. I know it's too late now but in general, it's better to fully examine a used car for a few hours to find faults that would need to be fixed before signing of any purchase documents. I would take the vehicle back to Bay Ridge Lexus and insist they give a remedy.
Old 10-29-12, 08:53 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had XYG(?) windshield on my previous SC after cracking oem windshield. It was so wavy I got headaches. Then I complained to the shop so I got replaced with PPG windshield, same thing. I got tired of it so I I looked for used oem windshield at a junk yard and problem is solved. It was pretty tough finding oem unit though.
Old 10-29-12, 09:39 AM
lexus2009j
7th Gear

Thanks both, @KA08 - isn't PGW (formerly known as PPG) an oem and that still gave you problem ? How much did you get it from junkyard btw?
Old 10-29-12, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Thats why I always insist on an OEM, factory branded windshield.

The OEM windshield is manufactured by Ashi Glass Corp by the way. Insurance companies will call PPG, Pilkington, etc "OEM Glass" but that just means they are "built to OEM quality", which they aren't. Insist the glass says "LEXUS" on it.
Old 10-31-12, 08:41 PM
lexus2009j
7th Gear

Thanks all, I've already escalated this issue to Lexus Headquarter since my Sales guys Mr. John Palmieri is dodging my call + email for 2 days already, in fact when we locked into this Deal couple of weeks back he had already stop calling/emailing me back unless I checked in person. I still remembered his notorious line at the day of delivery "Everyone can move a car, but not everyone is here to service when an problem arise" I guess this was a self-evident statement that he will never be there for any of his customers!

We're seriously disappointed not because of this aftermarket windshield part, but dismayed at how poorly this Dealer is reflecting on the reputation of Lexus in general, really sad that these nearsighted ppl only focus on short-term not long-term opportunities. Bay Ridge Lexus - I hope one of you is out there checking stuff posted here, sadly you've lost our trust & all future buying. Period.
Old 10-31-12, 08:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I mean...it is a used car...and it doesn't have to have an OEM windshield...
Old 10-31-12, 08:50 PM
lexus2009j
7th Gear

Understood, I meant to say we can live with this windshield, but as a customer you want a response and knowing someone is always there for you to help out, on that front they failed to meet our expectations.
Old 11-01-12, 05:08 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it a CPO? If so, you can complain to Lexus that they certified a car with non-oem glass on it. Is there anything on service history that indicates a glass replacement? You can get your service history when you register your VIN on mylexus.com. It only shows service done at dealer, so if there is a glass replacement record, you can complain because the dealer is not supposed to use non-Lexus glass.
Old 11-01-12, 08:17 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus2009j
Thanks both, @KA08 - isn't PGW (formerly known as PPG) an oem and that still gave you problem ? How much did you get it from junkyard btw?
PPG had same problem but not all PPG's are bad. Coworker had '03 M3 with aftermarket PPG unit and it was ok. I got it at junkyard for $50 but finding it was a chore.
Old 11-01-12, 09:27 AM
lexus2009j
7th Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by lexus2009j
Understood, I meant to say we can live with this windshield, but as a customer you want a response and knowing someone is always there for you to help out, on that front they failed to meet our expectations.
Originally Posted by lexusfan05
Was it a CPO? If so, you can complain to Lexus that they certified a car with non-oem glass on it. Is there anything on service history that indicates a glass replacement? You can get your service history when you register your VIN on mylexus.com. It only shows service done at dealer, so if there is a glass replacement record, you can complain because the dealer is not supposed to use non-Lexus glass.
Thanks, previously forgot to mention these guys charge a hidden 1k so called "Dealer Service Fee" in addition to their markup, I just called them again spoke to a different Sales - the guy confirmed they would not certify a non-Lexus windshield and that 1k fee is used to replace those junk parts. My original sales just dodging so I asked Lexus HQ to connect me with their GM. On mylexus.com I can't seem to find any glass replacement record - some just states "repair record" so will find out the exact details from their GM directly once the communication is established.
Old 11-01-12, 09:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
PPG had same problem but not all PPG's are bad. Coworker had '03 M3 with aftermarket PPG unit and it was ok. I got it at junkyard for $50 but finding it was a chore.
PPG is decent glass.Much better than Safelite,IMO.
Old 11-07-12, 02:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I just replaced the windshield on my F. My insurance company was not going to do OEM because of the age of my car, a 2008. But after a day of negotiating and with the help of my agent, I got the OEM stuff, but with a twist. I have built a relationship with the parts manager at my dealer, I actually started the relationship before he became the parts manager. I have found over my long life time, that building these kinds of relationships with businesses and folks who you deal with makes life a lot easier. But, who you choose to build that relationship with is very important.

Anyway, I could get the windshield at a discounted price, cheaper than State Farm could. So they agreed to pay me the out of pocket costs for the windshield, if I bought it directly, and they would pay the installer directly for the installation. The only issue was, since the installer was not doing the install, they would not take responsibility for moving the glass. So, I had to have it installed in the dealer's parking lot. Not really a big deal. So, persistence here and an understanding agent along with knowing the parts manager all paid off in getting me the OEM windshield I wanted.

Now, as regards to Pilkington, I noticed some of the OEM windshields on the dealer's lot were marked Lexus, Pilkington and I asked the installer about this. He told me that Pilkington has two plants, one for OEM glass and one for aftermarket. He told me that they are not the same, but they are good quality for aftermarket stuff. The best glass is OEM. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but, who knows.

My glass is not Pilkington but was marked exactly like the glass they removed.

Lou
Old 11-16-12, 04:44 PM
lexus2009j
7th Gear

Thanks for all your inputs guys, I always able to get a hold of their GM Eugene Woods and made him aware of this windshield + low gas mileage problem (12 mpg...for mixed city/freeway driving). Slated to meet him in person tomorrow will update afterward.

A unrelated question I have is how long does it take normally for your engine to cool down? Mine can take 1 to 2 hours after a short 15-min local ride. Is that within expectation?

Last edited by lexus2009j; 11-16-12 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 05:42 PM
lexus2009j
7th Gear

[QUOTE=lexus2009j;7602923]Thanks for all your inputs guys, I always able to get a hold of their GM Eugene Woods and made him aware of this windshield + low gas mileage problem (12 mpg...for mixed city/freeway driving). Slated to meet him in person tomorrow will update afterward.

- Finally picked up my car last wk, got my windshield replaced with OEM by the GM, win!