ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 es350 heater problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 08:34 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ricktek7
What in gawd's name are u talking about...?
Air bubbles can lead to overheating issues. Im guessing that when the pocket of air moves to the overflow tube, it "burps" or bleeds the system as the pocket of air is replaced by coolant. That must have been what happened in my case probably because I didn't bleed it correctly or long enough. Does that make sense?

Just for clarification, burping/bleeding the system means to get all the air bubbles out of the system. You don't want them in the coolant system which can be introduced when doing a coolant service. Im just surprised that big air moving air bubble wasn't an issue for more than a year.

Last edited by cl206; 02-05-18 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 08:47 AM
ricktek7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mechanic really knew what he was doing. He used a special type of hose fitted into the rad pipe. As the engine was revving at 2000 rpm, the hose gradually sucked out the air bubble (apparently large) replacing it with coolant. No engine heating issues; perhaps the cold -15c weather kept engine in the mid range between C and H. Radiator and heater core works like a new car now.
Old 02-05-18, 10:42 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

My mechanic really knew what he was doing. He used a special type of hose fitted into the rad pipe. As the engine was revving at 2000 rpm, the hose gradually sucked out the air bubble (apparently large) replacing it with coolant. No engine heating issues; perhaps the cold -15c weather kept engine in the mid range between C and H. Radiator and heater core works like a new car now.
I wish I can find a mechanic like that down here in NY. Im sure they are out there but I have yet to find one.
Old 02-07-18, 05:53 AM
ricktek7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your post: The air bubble issue started recently within the last week. Mechanic said that these air bubbles may occur randomly from season to season (hot summer to cold winter) and are rare, but they do happen.

Originally Posted by cl206
This is an OLD post and funny thing is the OP posted once and never posted again LOL. However I also wanted to contribute to this thread because I recently did a simple coolant drain and fill. I jacked the car up on jack stands and let it drain only from the radiator. I believe there are one or two more drain ports for the engine block but since I only had 62k miles I just did the radiator. I left the car on the stands and let it run for about 5 to 10 min to "burp" / bleed the system. The next day I checked and saw that the overflow tank was very low. I had filled it to the F the day before. I filled it to F again and it has been good. My point is whenever you do coolant service, for the next few driving sessions, be vigilant about checking the coolant level. Im actually very surprised that big air pocket of yours didn't cause an issue for 2 years?!?!
Old 02-07-18, 05:55 AM
ricktek7
Driver School Candidate

Default Go to a franchise (Mr Lube for example)

I wish I can find a mechanic like that down here in NY. Im sure they are out there but I have yet to find one.
Go to a franchise (Mr Lube for example). They have talented mechanics their
Old 02-07-18, 06:41 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

OMG. Please stay away from Mr. Lube. These guys are more about getting the maximum number of cars in and out. Nothing about quality of work done. They will also pressure you into services you don't need.
Old 02-07-18, 01:05 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Thanks for your post: The air bubble issue started recently within the last week. Mechanic said that these air bubbles may occur randomly from season to season (hot summer to cold winter) and are rare, but they do happen.
Good to know!

Sounds like you got the teacher and not an apprentice lol.

Originally Posted by jkayca
OMG. Please stay away from Mr. Lube. These guys are more about getting the maximum number of cars in and out. Nothing about quality of work done. They will also pressure you into services you don't need.
Sounds like every repair shop Ive been to. But all kidding aside, I guess it depends on the mechanic/tech you get. I don't recall seeing that chain down here in NY.
Old 02-07-18, 04:00 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Lets look at some of the causes of air being introduced into the cooling system.
1. Change of coolant with improper bleeding of the system
2. Low coolant level causing water pump cavitation
3. Bad water pump
4. Leak in the coolant system
5. Blown head gasket

Any one of these conditions and also a bad thermostat will cause an over heat condition. Also a blocked radiator , heater core or heat valve . A bad thermostat can also cause the engine to never reach operating temperature if stuck open. Also another reason for poor in car heating can be caused by a bad or failing or blocked air temp sensor. In auto temp mode the this sensor controls the heater and AC system.
A good dealer or independent repair shop will have a power flush system to drain and fill the coolant system without introducing air into the system.
Old 02-08-18, 07:00 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Good to know!

Sounds like you got the teacher and not an apprentice lol.

Sounds like every repair shop Ive been to. But all kidding aside, I guess it depends on the mechanic/tech you get. I don't recall seeing that chain down here in NY.
Mr Lube is a Canadian chain. They are similar to Jiffy Lube in the US. While I agree with you that it depends on who you get, you are far less likely to get someone who knows what they are doing and cares about what they are doing when you go to one of these quick oil change places.
Old 02-25-19, 06:54 AM
mjh7111
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater blowing cold air

Good morning, my wife called me on her way to work this morning and said heater began blowing cold air (32 degrees outside), I told her to pull over immediately, she was about to pull into her parking garage. I remember reading here when I joined the first time that, this could cause catastrophic failure and the temperature gage may not register as hot. There is great information here and I'm thankful for this forum...has anyone had any other "warnings" that this was happening; valves ticking, coolant smell etc.? We bought this Lexus with 54000 miles on it, currently has 175000 on it with no major services. No recent service but oil change about 800 miles back...no leaks in driveway. I'm uncertain of the coolant level until I get there this afternoon. This is an '08 model, any additional tips/insights are much appreciated.
Old 02-25-19, 07:35 AM
mjh7111
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thankful the mods leave these posts on here. I stumbled across it when I first joined in '14 or so and needed to reference it today with the same problem on one of our Lexus'