aftermarket navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 01:16 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default aftermarket navigation system

for years i have been using a Pioneer indash navigation unit

i have it in my cadillac and i have the harness that allowes me to use my steering wheel controls to control the unit also

i am wondering in the Lexus ES or GS models witch ever i choose to go with
what features are not going to work if i remove the OEM radio head unit

will i still have Blue Tooth for my Phone ?
Old 01-31-13, 03:20 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan on using a non-OEM nav unit such as the Pioneer, you need to have a vehicle that does not have an OEM nav system.

If you have a vehicle WITH the OE nav system, it's going to be much more difficult and costly as the climate controls also run off the head unit.

To my knowledge, it's damn near impossible to run a non-OE nav system on a 3rd gen GS like the ones you're looking at.

Most Lexus models 07+ do have built in bluetooth regardless of nav or not.
Old 01-31-13, 06:29 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jcat_350
If you plan on using a non-OEM nav unit such as the Pioneer, you need to have a vehicle that does not have an OEM nav system.

If you have a vehicle WITH the OE nav system, it's going to be much more difficult and costly as the climate controls also run off the head unit.

To my knowledge, it's damn near impossible to run a non-OE nav system on a 3rd gen GS like the ones you're looking at.

Most Lexus models 07+ do have built in bluetooth regardless of nav or not.

ok cool now if i replaced the factory radio in a non oem nave unit like an 07 ES 350 that is more possible then one with a OEM nav unit
but will i loose my Blue Tooth ? for the phone ?
Old 02-01-13, 01:15 AM
jacobjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will loose the bluetooth if you replace the OEM unit, but you might as well get a new head unit with bluetooth! Most non-OEM nav units come with bluetooth anyways.
Old 02-01-13, 04:43 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jacobjohn
you will loose the bluetooth if you replace the OEM unit, but you might as well get a new head unit with bluetooth! Most non-OEM nav units come with bluetooth anyways.
i already have a head unit i want its a pioneer x930bt i removed it from my old car it has BlueTooth build in but the mic really sucks so i figured the car would have a better blue tooth and the pioneer unit i had
Old 02-01-13, 06:02 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as I know, no one has taken the stock head unit out and when replacing the unit, hooked up the factory microphone. That being said, the "bluetooth" part is in the head unit; it's not an off-board item. So you'll still be stuck with the crappy Pioneer microphone unless you figure out how to wire up the factory microphone. Even then, it might not work right (various things regarding how it operates with the stock Lexus amp, impedance mismatches etc.)

I plan on trying to do this one day to see if I can retain the stock microphone. If not, I plan on routing the replacement microphone into the stock mic area so that it's hidden.
Old 02-01-13, 06:45 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

a non-nav OE head unit can be replaced with your pioneer, you'll just have to find a double-din kit that works and looks correct. Lots of them don't match the color of the dash.

As to the bluetooth, your head unit has it built in, so that would work for streaming audio. As for the phone, I don't believe the stock mic can interface with the head unit.

You also, I believe, will lose your steering wheel controls unless you buy an adapter that will support them. I would think Pioneer has a toyota part that would work.
Old 02-01-13, 12:50 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

There are plenty of guys that have archived this install, for more info check this thread.

Lots of info and links:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ry-stereo.html
Old 02-01-13, 04:18 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

thanks gusy
i actualy decided im not going to mess with the factory system i have the 07 ES350 i got today with the factory navi it works nice i just need to get the part about the lock out feature taken care of
i hear that if i want to update the nave software map then the work around won't work
i will need to do some hard wire stuff

so i am going to get a unit attachment from Beatsonic i think its called and use that

also get a GTA iphone intergration unit to
Old 02-02-13, 07:10 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
thanks gusy
i actualy decided im not going to mess with the factory system i have the 07 ES350 i got today with the factory navi it works nice i just need to get the part about the lock out feature taken care of
i hear that if i want to update the nave software map then the work around won't work
i will need to do some hard wire stuff

so i am going to get a unit attachment from Beatsonic i think its called and use that

also get a GTA iphone intergration unit to
Good choice, Your new car is very nice!
Old 02-05-13, 09:08 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

If you're looking for OEM integration, best bet is to go with VAIS tech. They make specifically engineered components for our cars. A bit pricey, but guaranteed to work.

Then, update your maps, and do the nav hack afterward. It's in a sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 02-05-13, 09:48 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jcat_350
If you're looking for OEM integration, best bet is to go with VAIS tech. They make specifically engineered components for our cars. A bit pricey, but guaranteed to work.

Then, update your maps, and do the nav hack afterward. It's in a sticky at the top of the forum.
i am planning on ordering the MML from vais techonology
yeah 249 is a bit pricey but i figured it will be well worth it

i was actualy going to get the bypass plug from Beatsonic for the navigation and phone operation
for 150.00

i am not to great with computers i was reading about the hack for the map dvd
and it was a bit over myhead
i know i like to ask questions but when it comes to something that i feel will really confuse me i ask more questions that need to be and then i get chewed up for it so i wanted to avoid that

i tried to copy a dvd from my Cadillac Navigation once and i never was able to get it figured out

if someone would be willing to make a copy of it id be willing to pay for there time and also send them the dvd i would buy then they can make a new copy for themselves also

but im not sure i can understand properly with the hack im more of a hands on need to be shown how something is done the first time its hard for me to read and do it without seeing it done first
Old 02-05-13, 09:51 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

check out navteq to see if you can get your hands on a cheaper DVD, or look in the classifieds here for someone selling one.
Old 02-05-13, 10:10 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

yeah i can get it on ebay there are 2 12.1 version for sale now and they at not badly priced

so i need to by a 5.1 disc also to do the hack from what i undersstand from reading
so ill need to get the 5.1 and the 12.1

then figure out how to do the hack copy or find someone who can
and then every time i decide to update the map ill have to do the process over again ?