ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Any performance (hp or transmission) mods for the ES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 07:18 AM
mattds
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any performance (hp or transmission) mods for the ES?

Hi there, I've done a bit of searching and I haven't found any evidence of any sort of substantiated performance mod to increase power... I do know this isn't a performance sedan, I know that Toyota ecu programing is hard to alter and I also know that the car is pretty powerful as it is... But often there is a bottle neck or two that can free up a few hp, etc.
Just curious to know if there was one? (I noticed the transmission is especially slow to react, anything we can do there?)
Thanks!
Old 04-06-13, 07:57 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mattds
I do know this isn't a performance sedan
This first part of your second sentence says it all.

You might try some Camry mods--if any exist.

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm happy with our ES as it is.
Old 04-08-13, 06:54 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most you're gonna be able to do outside of going fully custom, is a Weapon-R intake that will cause more problems for your car and gain you no performance, a couple mufflers to add some exhaust sound and ruin how quiet it is.

About the only other stuff worthwhile might be suspension, but it'll be improved handling by way of sacrificing ride comfort.

If you want a performance car, the ES was the wrong car to buy.
Old 04-09-13, 07:30 PM
RTSM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a few ES ECU upgrades but have not tried any of them;

http://www.performancechiptuning.com/Lexus/ES/

http://www.gfchips.com/lexuses350.aspx
Old 04-10-13, 05:22 AM
mattds
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcat_350
Most you're gonna be able to do outside of going fully custom, is a Weapon-R intake that will cause more problems for your car and gain you no performance, a couple mufflers to add some exhaust sound and ruin how quiet it is.

About the only other stuff worthwhile might be suspension, but it'll be improved handling by way of sacrificing ride comfort.

If you want a performance car, the ES was the wrong car to buy.

Hello,
OH i know the ES isn't a performance car, and i test drove a few GS350's and my impressions were mixed, One i test drove was fantasitic, very isolated but with tighter handleing and a bit 'faster', but then another that i tested may have had blown struts or something and did not ride well.
I'm quite happy with my car the way it is, but just like anything, (for me at least) i'm looking to see if there are any (sensible) improvments that can be made...nothing wrong with that i don't think.

I'll look into the ecu chips, i actually feel that the car is very fast it just takes for ever to shift into a lower gear...
Old 04-10-13, 06:21 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Hello, ...
, i actually feel that the car is very fast it just takes for ever to shift into a lower gear...
just put the shifter into the sport position just before u need the power then hang on
Old 04-10-13, 06:31 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Hello,
OH i know the ES isn't a performance car, and i test drove a few GS350's and my impressions were mixed, One i test drove was fantasitic, very isolated but with tighter handleing and a bit 'faster', but then another that i tested may have had blown struts or something and did not ride well.
I'm quite happy with my car the way it is, but just like anything, (for me at least) i'm looking to see if there are any (sensible) improvments that can be made...nothing wrong with that i don't think.

I'll look into the ecu chips, i actually feel that the car is very fast it just takes for ever to shift into a lower gear...
There are no reputable ecu tunes for our cars. The only way to do it would be to add a piggyback (such as Haltech or AEM FIC) and get it on a dyno to get a custom tune done. This is very expensive, and not easily done because the factory ECU will fight the hell out of any tune you put on it. The only REAL solution is to go full standalone...$2k for a standalone setup that won't get you any real gains even after a tune is foolish.

The trans does tend to hunt a bit; it's a tradeoff of having a 6spd auto. As nevernu said, you can put the trans into sport mode by pulling to the left once in drive, but also be aware this will hold your RPMs higher than normal and increase fuel consumption.
Old 04-10-13, 10:37 AM
mattds
Pit Crew

i think i'm used to my DSG...however even my old maxima has a quicker downshift...but you may be right, i'll try to get used to using the sport mode.
Old 04-10-13, 12:03 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

i think i'm used to my DSG...however even my old maxima has a quicker downshift...but you may be right, i'll try to get used to using the sport mode.
DSG vs a U660E is about equal to comparing an ISF to a 1st gen ES. Seriously.

Which gen maxima? I ask because the 09+ models with paddle shifters shift really fast too.

Also, any older maximas (06 and older, IIRC) have a manual (cable) throttle and mechanical kickdown. The ES is all electronic. That's another hurdle to get over.
Old 04-15-13, 07:02 AM
mattds
Pit Crew

Hey, yep it was an older maxima, a 99 i think, very nice car. I've adjusted somewhat to using putting the shfter into S which seemes to cut the downshift time in half...so that help, and i really want i can shift manually and keep in in 2nd or 3rd i've learned so i'm in the power band then i merge.
However today was that first day i use it to drive into the city work for, and the isolation and ride was great!