ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Would you like to see instructions on how to disable TPMS?
Show how to - YES
88.89%
Don't show it - NO
11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

How to disable TPMS - Post it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 08:25 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default How to disable TPMS - Post it or not?

Due to our family growing, I sold my '01 IS300 and bought an '07 ES350. Nice car and a very different drive than IS. I am in Canada but the model I bought is a US car and has TPMS. On my way home from the dealer the TPMS light came on, I made the stop at a gas station and confirmed that all 5 tires are at the same 30psi per tire sticker, I did the reset, confirmed the 2nd tire set switch as well and the light is still on - annoying. There was this fine print on the purchase contract that said that the dealership is not responsible for any lights on - so am on my own on it.

To troubleshoot it I would need to see a dealer and most likely buy a tire sensor or two. So I decided to disable the light, I didn't want to put a piece of black tape over the meter. I found a way to turn the light off permanently

When I looked on the site here, I found two schools of thought: one that asked, like me, how to do it and one that said don't do it and fix it properly. So, I would like to do a poll to see how many would like to see how to do it vs not. I took photos and will post them up with instructions if the response is overwhelmingly for it

Last edited by igzy; 08-10-13 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-10-13, 10:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,363 Posts

I am a fan of TPMS, and feel that is a valid safety tool. Although I check the pressure in my tires regularly, not everyone does. What I am not a fan of, is that the Lexus system doesn't tell you which tire has the problem. My Silverado does, and it costs a lot less than either of our Lexus. IINM, in Lexus vehicles with full sized spares, neither of our cars has a full sized spare, the spare tire has TPMS, and needs to be checked along with the tires on the road.

Lou
Old 08-11-13, 06:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

As mentioned above, be sure to check and see if you have a full size spare and if you do, check that tire too.
Old 08-11-13, 04:57 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I checked all 5 tires, including the spare, did the reset and still the lights won't go off . Also, soon enough, I will be putting on winter tires without TPMS sensors and the light will annoy me for ~6 months. So, this was the sure way to keep it off... I will post the how-to tomorrow
Old 08-12-13, 05:05 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The solution for my ES350

I had the same problem. Tried to set all of the tire pressures to 30 including the spare and reset the TPMS. Could not get it turn off. Finally took it back t my dealer and in 1/2 hour it was fine. I insisted they tell me what they had done. They did not want to. But, It seems that they had to increase all of the tire pressures to 35 psi to turn the TPMS off.
Silly, Right? Well it works.
Old 08-12-13, 07:24 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default YES, please post the instructions on disabling it.

YES. Please post the instructions!

I've also sent you a PM. Thanks.

Originally Posted by igzy
I checked all 5 tires, including the spare, did the reset and still the lights won't go off . Also, soon enough, I will be putting on winter tires without TPMS sensors and the light will annoy me for ~6 months. So, this was the sure way to keep it off... I will post the how-to tomorrow
Old 06-23-15, 05:40 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Can you PM me the instructions on how to turn it off permanently?
Old 06-24-15, 06:23 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniLex
Can you PM me the instructions on how to turn it off permanently?
IGZY had created another post on how to disable the TPMS light.

Here it is:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...o-disable.html
Old 06-24-15, 06:28 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Being an old gearhead I didn't think these type of features were needed as I usually would check tire pressures every few weeks. Well the more features come out the better I am starting to like them. A few weeks ago I was leaving for a round of golf in my Jaguar when the rear driver side TPM triggered. I turned around and loaded the clubs in the Lexus so I wouldn't miss my tee time. The next day I removed the rear tire and found a small finishing nail causing a slow leak in the tire. It was to close to the sidewall and even after repair it still leaked but at a slow rate. It triggered the TPM again after a few I had to replace the tire and because the other tire only had a few thousand miles left I replaced both rears (285/30-20). So I think the feature is great. Now as a side note in NY when you get a yearly inspection and they plug into the OBDII port if you have a safety related or emission code in the system you fail and need to get it fixed within 10 days and then get reinspected.
Old 06-24-15, 09:36 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, TPMS is much nicer than trying to determine if that feeling is a tire going flat or not. The Corvette does one better and shows me an actual pressure, rather than a dummy light.
It's a feature that is very handy.