ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

another after market audio question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 09:37 PM
mikewu9900
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another after market audio question

ok, i got the sub and amp in today... but i believe there is a problem. i searched around the web but found no definitive answers.

hooked up my 12 inch obsidian audio and rockford 1000 amp. spliced off the front door speakers with hi/low converter because i also switched 8 inch sub to a pro audio mid range for added mid range on a separate amp and wanted full range inputs.

im having an issue where the bass sounds great at around 35 ( 8 speaker non ML ) but above that volume the bass doesn't increase, maybe even decreases. i messed with the gains, bass boost, and gains on the hi/low. something is telling me that the stock system has a bass roll off circuit and its causing my bass to suffer. has anyone had experience with this issue? and if so, if i use a separate hi/low to run off stock sub wires, will this still be the case? trying to find this out before i buy 100.00 dollar audiocontrol line driver. lastly, if i tap in to the wire before the amp, instead of the amplified signal, will that help? thx.....
Old 08-21-13, 10:21 AM
mikewu9900
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikewu9900
ok, i got the sub and amp in today... but i believe there is a problem. i searched around the web but found no definitive answers.

hooked up my 12 inch obsidian audio and rockford 1000 amp. spliced off the front door speakers with hi/low converter because i also switched 8 inch sub to a pro audio mid range for added mid range on a separate amp and wanted full range inputs.

im having an issue where the bass sounds great at around 35 ( 8 speaker non ML ) but above that volume the bass doesn't increase, maybe even decreases. i messed with the gains, bass boost, and gains on the hi/low. something is telling me that the stock system has a bass roll off circuit and its causing my bass to suffer. has anyone had experience with this issue? and if so, if i use a separate hi/low to run off stock sub wires, will this still be the case? trying to find this out before i buy 100.00 dollar audiocontrol line driver. lastly, if i tap in to the wire before the amp, instead of the amplified signal, will that help? thx.....
no one has run in to this issue?
Old 08-21-13, 11:58 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

There is variable EQ in the head unit. As you found out, at 35 on the volume **** you don't get any more bass. This is a safeguard so that average users don't blow speakers. This was the main reason I changed my head unit first.
Old 08-21-13, 07:57 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately I don't have a free answer. Google for lc2i - this line converter can sense the volume and restore bass, although the setup is manual. Have it in my car, highly recommended. Around 100 new.
Old 08-21-13, 07:59 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Sorry I didn't fully read your initial post. The line converter or replacement head unit is your answer sadly.
Old 08-22-13, 03:18 PM
mikewu9900
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mlacomb
Unfortunately I don't have a free answer. Google for lc2i - this line converter can sense the volume and restore bass, although the setup is manual. Have it in my car, highly recommended. Around 100 new.
i ordered this same one, about to install it now. thanks!!!!
Old 08-22-13, 03:21 PM
mikewu9900
Driver School Candidate

Default got the 22s on the es today, what do u guys think????

thx for the input everyone
Old 08-23-13, 08:51 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Glad to be of help! I've found the lc2i does an EXCELLENT job of ramping up the poor output of the speaker outs too. The accubass is difficult to dial in; I've left my sensitivity at minimum though - kicks in around volume 38 depending on the source. I have a single 10" JL in a ported bass wedge run by a Rockford 500 watt amp. Bass level is slightly above mid, accubass is almost the whole way down but still kicks in hard. Let us know what you think! All other components for now in my car are stock (the base audio, non-nav.) I do plan on getting the front speakers upgraded, but do not plan on for now upgrading the amp - but the LC2I will allow me to do so effortlessly in this configuration if I want.
Old 09-03-13, 07:36 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I have an Alpine MRX-V70 - it is a 5 channel amp.... will I need the LC2i, or will my speaker level inputs be good enough as input to the Alpine from the stock amp? I mean in terms of bass response, clarity, power use, etc. I have a stock deck also...
Probably will pipe in all the speaker level inputs into this amp and then run the speakers + my new sub directly.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-13, 11:23 AM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by iceblast
So, I have an Alpine MRX-V70 - it is a 5 channel amp.... will I need the LC2i, or will my speaker level inputs be good enough as input to the Alpine from the stock amp? I mean in terms of bass response, clarity, power use, etc. I have a stock deck also...
Probably will pipe in all the speaker level inputs into this amp and then run the speakers + my new sub directly.

Thanks!
Any help/thoughts?....

Also, is there any way I can grab a pure signal from the OEM deck, or is it a digital signal?

Thanks
Old 10-01-13, 03:19 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Any help/thoughts?....

Also, is there any way I can grab a pure signal from the OEM deck, or is it a digital signal?

Thanks
It's digital. Same reason I needed an adapter to use an aftermarket radio with the factory amp.

Last edited by Robert_J; 10-03-13 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 06:09 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Definitely grab an LC2I. You won't be sorry.
Old 10-02-13, 06:22 AM
Djdamian
Driver School Candidate

I bought a pioneer double in deck with a TA07SR harness in a 2003 gs 300 and have to turn on and off the car to get sound any help please
Old 10-02-13, 02:00 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mlacomb
Definitely grab an LC2I. You won't be sorry.
So what does it add? Clarity of the signal?
The price is pretty negligible (<$80), just wondering the benefits. Thanks
Old 10-03-13, 06:38 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

So what does it add? Clarity of the signal?
The price is pretty negligible (<$80), just wondering the benefits. Thanks
As you turn up the volume, the EQ (especially the low end) changes. This is to idiot proof the system so you won't fry the speakers. These devices restore that lost bass back into the system. It basically makes a factory radio work like an aftermarket one.

Quick Reply: another after market audio question