ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Help! New purchase today

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 06:19 PM
Shawnna1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! New purchase today

I purchased 08 Lexus es350 @ 5pm drove home, no problems. Set up Bluetooth, etc. ran a errand @ an hour ago. The engine light, vac & traction lights all came on!! I'm petrified, it has 55k miles. Should I return it Monday & get out now???
Old 10-12-13, 06:31 PM
Shawnna1
Driver School Candidate

I've owned a Lexus es in the past, but I'm wondering if this is an issue with this year & model???? I mean I literally have had 3 hours.
Old 10-12-13, 06:43 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

I wouldn't panic just yet. I know its scary and frustrating for sure, but it might just be a fluke.

Maybe the lot attendant didn't close the gas cap when filling it up before delivery.

Did you get gas at any point?
Was it a Lexus dealer you bought it from? If it was I certainly wouldn't panic they should take care of whatever issue it is at no charge. I know mine would.

Have autozone pull the code if the dealer is closed and post it. There is help here.

Side note:
08 ES350 is a solid car and a good purchase.
Old 10-12-13, 06:52 PM
Shawnna1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reassurance! Bought at a Toyota dealership, the salesman did put in some gas for me & I saw the gas tip & undid gas cap & redid, just to see.-no such luck. I am taking it to auto zone tomorrow to see, then to dealership if necessary. Thank you.
Old 10-12-13, 06:59 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shawnna1
Thanks for the reassurance! Bought at a Toyota dealership, the salesman did put in some gas for me & I saw the gas tip & undid gas cap & redid, just to see.-no such luck. I am taking it to auto zone tomorrow to see, then to dealership if necessary. Thank you.
Just know the code won't immediately go away when the cap is re-tightened. It would take a few drive cycles, around 50 miles of mixed types of driving with a few restarts in between, to see the problem has been corrected.

But the code you would be looking for at autozone is P0455 GROSS LEAK EVAP. Now autozone can't clear your code (or they aren't supposed to). So if it is indeed that code you can disconnect the battery - 10mm nut on the negative post of the battery- for a few seconds and it will clear it.
Old 10-12-13, 07:14 PM
Shawnna1
Driver School Candidate

Oh, good call! I just tightened & retightened. I will do that tomorrow! Thanks for the info on the battery reset tip! I'm a lot less stressed now. Thank you!
Old 10-12-13, 07:27 PM
jbalian
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't reset the code, just take it to them on Monday and let them figure it out, they should give you a loaner until they fix it...
Old 10-12-13, 08:06 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

i wouldn't even go to Auto Zone just go monday to your dealer
and have them give you a lift to work or give you a lift back home or give you a loaner whyll they figure out whats going on if you just bought it i don't see any reason they would charge you plus im going to assume that the dealer probably atleast gave yo ua 3 - 3 warranty or somethign along those lines
Old 10-12-13, 10:07 PM
Shawnna1
Driver School Candidate

I did get 3000/3 mo warranty, but I could stop payment on my check & give back the car if this is what I'm going to be dealing with on this car. I can't really afford to be fixing it all the time. That's what I was getting worried about.
Old 10-13-13, 04:22 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnna1
I did get 3000/3 mo warranty, but I could stop payment on my check & give back the car if this is what I'm going to be dealing with on this car. I can't really afford to be fixing it all the time. That's what I was getting worried about.
Yes, theoretically you could do that but you could also end up screwing up your credit for a long time. While most dealers will do everything they can to solve your problem, the fact remains you are now the owner of that vehicle! Take it back to the dealer on Monday and see what they can do. I wouldn't even waste time with Autozone. I'm sure the dealer will make it right but you also need to remember you are now the owner of that vehicle and if you financed any portion of it you may be liable if you walk away. Good luck.
Old 10-13-13, 06:22 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most states have a return policy on cars; in Ohio you have 3 days to return the car for a full refund if it's not the car for you. I'd weigh that option if you do have it - however if you do keep it, I hope you have years of trouble free driving.

I've had my 08 for 2 years now, not a single hiccup. I bought mine CPO and opted for 5 year 100k mile warranty extension (instead of the standard 3 year 100k). I find that to be a safe tradeoff; issues up to 100k covered? yes please.
Old 10-13-13, 06:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree that you should give the dealership the 1st shot at correcting the issue. They work on these cars (same mechanicals as the Camry and about 5 other V6 models) and can probably fix it quickly. You have the 3/3,000 so it should be covered.
Old 10-13-13, 06:47 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

on to the factt about returning it if you are really dead set on wanting to get out of it thats all up to you
most dealers i have shopped with and bought at have a 3 days return policy iv seen a few that offer a 5 day return policy

how ever here is where they stiff and screw you did you have a trade in ? if so was the trade in really in a condition that they would keep it on there lot in and did they put any money into it ?
first off when you trade a vehicle in your really not tradeing it you are selling it to them for the price they offered you for it
they don't have to sell it back to you for that price sometimes they might be nice enough to
plus any money they put into it to get it to there selling condition

2nd alot of the times they take cars in trade first they contact there corner lot or wholesale dealers that they sell to find out what they will pay for that car then they offer you less for it then the same day someone sends someone to pick that car up and its not even owned by the dealer anymore
Or they trade to another one of there dealers with a difference LLC and then they can
claim it doesn't belong to them so they can't give it back

So be very carefull with these situations

also was your credit good enough for them to get you a loan easy
or did they have to really work at it to find someone to lend you money for the car and own your cars loan
don't answer this here it;s non of our business
just ask your self this
if you have perfect credit that chances our there won't be an issue with getting you a loan on another vehicle
if you have bad credit and they really worked hard to find you that one lender that
would approve your loan
chances our they can't do it again

now back to the question you have is this a trouble car you will have issues with ?

truly there is no answer for that
i don't want to freak you out or anything
but you could have a lemon on your hand
or you could have a great car on your hands

My 07 ES 350 is awesome i bought it with around 42k and it has 62k as of yesterday
i have not had one mechanical issue with the car other then what they might call normal wear and tear from a failed CV joint and that was replaced at 46k
Other than that all i have had to put into it is regular maintenance such as Oil change tire rotation wheel alignment had the coolant changed break fluid flushed power steering fluid changed just for preventive stuff

every time im into the dealer for my oil change i ask them to make sure not to skip the 19 point inspection
sometimes they are in a rush and don't always do that for cars that where just in a few months earlier and had no issues
and the tech always asks the adviser how come you had me waste time on this car its perfect just like always

first are you aware of the Lexus Drivers website ?
where you can go online register an account with your Vin numbers and you can pull up any services it was in at a Lexus Dealer for ? go to it i think its LexusDrivers.Com That will for shure show if you have a lemon on your hands if so you will see probably several if not dozens of repairs
if it only shows oil changes and tire stuff your set with a good car

also if you want just for your own safey because when things do go wrong with these cars remember you have a car
that cost 40k new just because you paid like 20k for it now doesn't mean the repairs are going to be the cost of a 20k car repair your looking are high cost repairs if something does ever go wrong
thats the reason i got the warranty for my own safety
go to a lexus dealer and see about if you can still get the warranty

also there is a very small chance it might still have the factory warranty on the drive train it has under 70k on it
now the question comes down to when was the in service sale date of the vehicle if it was before 10/14/2007 then no warranty anymore
If the original Service and sale date was after 10/13/13 then you still have a warranty on the drive train
Old 10-13-13, 07:17 AM
Shawnna1
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I just checked web w/ the VIN. All good, nothing major. Regular oil chg & 25k checks etc. feeling good @ that! Thanks for advice. I will take in Mon & see what they say. Thanks for the reassurance everyone! Good advice on here. I really like the car. The last one I had was a 1999 which I really loved!! Had it 8 yrs! Bought Acura & really missed my lexus, but all this fancy nav, etc is overwhelming. I just want it to be dependable as I will hopefully be driving it at least 8 years.
Old 10-13-13, 07:25 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

yeah i know what you mean overwelming for sure at first but you get used to it i promise you that

i am tech geek stylle person everyone tells me im great with tech stuff
thats why i was atracked to the ES with navi but omg adjusting everything with the touch a screen took me time to get used to and figure out how to adjust things

i had a bad accident a few months back i was just looking at prices to replace my es with when the insurance called me and told me they would fix it
so far the total count when i picked the car up from the dealer friday was at 17,200 in repairs

i saw a 07 on auto trader when looking at prices and the thing had over 200k on it

Quick Reply: Help! New purchase today