ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car #2 - beautiful but has been wrecked - pls give feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-13, 02:10 PM
HiVltgBlnd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car #2 - UPDATED :-)

I could really use some help. I've been shopping around.. finally found one I liked that the dealer is holding for me. I took it back yesterday after keeping it a couple of days and told them I want it. It's silver w/silver or light gray interior. Very quiet, smooth, but you can tell it's got some miles on it. It's an '07 w/70,000 miles.

When I got home I had an email from cargurus telling me they'd found another match. An '08 w/about the same mileage for almost the exact same price. I went and looked at it today and it's beautiful - dark gray with black interior - I've always had dark interiors.. I just think that wood trim looks so much better.

The problem - it's been wrecked. The parts requested for repair were the front bumper, left fender, foglight, headlight assembly - and wheel. If it was just the bumper/fender/lights I wouldn't worry too much. But the wheel - I'm thinking there could be frame damage.

I really love this car. It drives better, feels more like a new car, is prettier and just suits me better all around.

What should I do? And please be gentle. I know what the obvious answer is.

Last edited by HiVltgBlnd; 11-11-13 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Well, if you're really interested in this one that has the accident history you should take it to an independent body shop of your choosing and have it looked at, find out what has been replaced, make sure its been done properly, and that there isn't any frame damage. You'll probably have to pay them, but it'll be worth it.

Once that is done, make sure you press them for as good a deal as you can, because when you go to sell it on down the road you're going to come up against this same issue with whatever buyer or dealer you're dealing with.

I wouldn't automatically discount it because its had a little bodywork, you just need to be sure its only a little bodywork. The wheel for instance could have just been scraped.
Old 11-03-13, 03:03 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going to keep for a long time the value will be low anyway when you sell it ..not a big deal. BUT.. if you sell it anytime soon the damage report is gonna kill the value someone will give you. You better be getting a smoking deal!
Old 11-03-13, 03:30 PM
HiVltgBlnd
Driver School Candidate

Just paid for the first one I looked at to be checked yesterday. It's just money ... and I should tell this story from the beginning but I'd have to write a book.. anyway they said it's in perfect condition, but honestly this car I have now drives better, feels a little more powerful, radio's better - I don't know why, he said there had been no modifications - anyway and the interior is just beautiful. I just got back from driving it up the road again, then took it to an empty parking lot and turned it kind of hard, like if you were making a U-turn, tested the brakes out good, etc. It feels perfect.

The only thing I noticed was that the lights on the odometer/speedometer panel are different from the lights on the radio/AC panel. The speedometer panel is a beautiful white, but the radio panel is greenish, and the clock is a slightly different green. ??

I appreciate the replies. I'm in love with it and will be crushed if they tell me I shouldn't buy it.

ETA I am planning to keep it at least 4-5 years. Longer, hopefully.

Last edited by HiVltgBlnd; 11-03-13 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 03:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HiVltgBlnd
The only thing I noticed was that the lights on the odometer/speedometer panel are different from the lights on the radio/AC panel. The speedometer panel is a beautiful white, but the radio panel is greenish, and the clock is a slightly different green. ??
Thats normal. Lexus gauges are optitron, the gauges are a bright white while the backlighting of the other controls varies by mode.

You really should have this one looked at too to be safe.
Old 11-03-13, 03:55 PM
HiVltgBlnd
Driver School Candidate

I just found an old thread on this forum about the instrument panel lights. Can't believe they're not all the same color but apparently it can be changed, but it's expensive. That green is not attractive and it's dated, to me. But I'll worry about that later.

Anyway yes, going to call and see if the place that looked at the first car can look at this one tomorrow. I'm so afraid I'm going to get a bad report. Either way, car #1 is out. I'll be looking for the dark gray w/black, or at least a dark interior. I've always been partial to white exteriors, or silver/gray. Until now.
Old 11-03-13, 04:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah in the newer cars the backlighting is blue or the real new ones, white. It was green for many years though.

Don't be afraid of the outcome of the report, remember its just a car and there are many of them out there. If its meant to be with this one it will be, but you don't want to overpay for something and be sorry about it later, or worse buy something thats unsafe.

The grey that you're talking about is probably Smokey Granite Mica, which is very nice...nicer than the Nebula Grey that replaced it IMHO. With an 08 and up theres a color called "Truffle Mica" you may like also, thats the color my 2010 was. It has a bronzish hue to it, similar to SGM but a little different, I loved that color. On an 08 its only available on the Pebble Beach edition though.

Here are some pics of mine, mine had the parchment interior but this color came with black too:

Old 11-03-13, 04:32 PM
HiVltgBlnd
Driver School Candidate

I think it is the SGM, although in the pics online I see some blue. My car looked almost black but I'm sure it looks different in different light. The other car is Tungsten Pearl. Again, never ever thought I'd like a dark colored car, other than maybe black, on certain ones and depending on the trim. But even tho black's a sporty color it's never really been for me.

I'm very surprised that a classy car like Lexus would put that green on the one panel - or any panel - and white on the other. It's distracting, but I'll get over it. Or, maybe I'll change it, if I can - down the road. If I get the car.

I'm counting the minutes until tomorrow. I know there are other cars out there but I've been looking since July. Like I said it's a very long story, one that I'm too embarrassed to tell. But of course I won't get the car if they tell me it has extensive damage, or minor damage that wasn't repaired correctly. But I will be very, very sad. This is the first one I've been really excited about.

Until tomorrow - and I'll give an update in case anyone's interested. I do appreciate the replies and advice.
Old 11-03-13, 04:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah thats SGM, it has a bluish base. I have a coworker with a 2010 GS in that color, very nice.

Yeah the gauges have always been a different color. Think of it this way, the gauges are constantly lit, they're sort of like a different display. My Dad's 98 LS, my 03 ES, my 2010 ES all had the bright white optitron gauges and the green backlighting everywhere else. The 98 LS had a green driver info display beneath the gauges, the 03 ES had a blue display there, and the 2010 is also white/blue. His 04 LS had the white optitron gauges, blueish backlighting I believe, and an amber colored readout for the driver info center beneath the gauges, and my 2013 GS is all white.

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee also has white gauge backlighting and green everywhere else, and those gauges aren't even optitron. You'll get used to it.

Please do keep us updated! I have a feeling it'll work out.
Old 11-03-13, 06:05 PM
HiVltgBlnd
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pics of mine, mine had the parchment interior but this color came with black too
That's really pretty. Wish I could get that trim on the doors.

If I do get the car - and I'll get something eventually, if I don't buy this one - I want to try and change those panel lights out. I hope it's possible. OTOH, maybe I will get used to it.
Old 11-03-13, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its going to be hell to get those panel lights swapped.

You can do that trim on the doors. You can buy and install the OEM trim, but its not cheap. There are several aftermarket alternatives.
Old 11-04-13, 07:26 AM
HiVltgBlnd
Driver School Candidate

I've seen the trim for sale online.. looked at it for the first car but read it could not be put on the '07. If It can be put on the one I have now I'll definitely get it.

I've spoken to several people and everybody's telling me not to buy - too risky. I'm waiting to hear from the guy that's selling it to me to see if I can keep it another day.

I have to say - FWIW - compared to the Lexus dealership the first car came from, this place is .. iffy. But they get pretty good reviews - none of the dealers get excellent reviews. But it's not a Lexus dealership - natch, because they wouldn't sell a wrecked car - I hope.

Anyway, a little nervous. Was not going to tell the people that are going to look at it that it's been wrecked, but now I'm thinking I should in case there are things they can check that they may not normally.. even though surely they check for that kind of thing. Anyway some real reservations, after sleeping on it, but I talked to the repair place and they can see me this afternoon, which works out.

About those lights. The other one had navigation... anyway the first thing that came up in search results - but it was on the second page so obviously not a lot out there about replacing them.. but here's the link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rd-lights.html
Old 11-04-13, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The 07 is the same, so if the trim can be put on an 08 it can be put on an 07.

You should definitely tell the people that are looking at it about the damage so they can inspect it specifically.

If the 07 has nav, this one doesn't and has been in a wreck and is the same price you should negotiate a better deal on this one if you decide to go this route.
Old 11-04-13, 11:03 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Hm, with the wheel replacement, I too would be more cautious and if you really want it, I would ask for a heavy discount...
Old 11-04-13, 05:02 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

it comes down to who did the repair
someone who knows what they are doing or a shop that doesn't
someone that cranks them out as fast as they come in or someone who takes there time for quality

mine just has a 15k ticket took 9 weeks for the lexus dealer to get it repaired propperly and im very happy with it
i bet if i had taken it down the road to a A-1 collision that gieco wanted me to go to they would have cranked that job out in 4 weeks and not proper
only problem i had was with some interior that was damaged during the job but they fixed that
replaced parts put about 3k into it of there own money to fix it

so it really comes down to that

take it to to a collision shop and tell them you want them to check it out yeah they may charge you 100 or so to put it on the fram machine and mesure it up make sure its perfect but its a 100 well spent
and then you could possibly go back to the dealer and say well
we have a deal aslong as you take off the money i spent to have it checked out

Quick Reply: Car #2 - beautiful but has been wrecked - pls give feedback