ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 11:36 AM
bradyb4181
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

if anyone has any info on what I can do about my es350 shift flare please let me know
Old 01-20-14, 12:02 PM
MikePA
Rookie

It's a Tech Service Bulletin and only the dealer can address it.
Old 01-20-14, 01:09 PM
bradyb4181
Driver School Candidate

having trouble getting my local dealer to help.was wondering if anyone knew anyone I could contact for help
Old 01-20-14, 03:25 PM
MikePA
Rookie

If your local dealer wont help, contact Lexus corporate.
Old 01-20-14, 05:45 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto above advice. Many a posting was done back in late 2006 and throughout 2007 on the transmission. Mine was replaced within 1,000 miles and two months of new.
Old 01-20-14, 07:20 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're talking about the slight flare betwen 2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th, when it's cold, then pretty much goes away a couple minutes after warming up; I'm sort of in the crowd who doesn't think it's a problem. Design flaw? Possibly. Problem? No, not at all. I've been working on cars for too long. One of my favorite cars I've own; for 25 years and recently sold, was my 1966 mustang. For the first 5 minutes of warming up in the morning, you had to baby it on takeoff or the transmission would slip. My lexus ES350 has that so called "Flare". When the engine is cold, (First thing in the morning), if I drive it easy for the first few minutes; no problem. If I'm in a hurry and take off quickly, I'll notice the RPM surge as it's shifting into 3rd/4th. But again, I don't see it as a problem. Once my car has warmed up any; (If the temp gauge moves even the slightest), the issue isn't there any more.

Again; I don't think it's an issue. Definitely no a "Problem". Maybe an expectation issue because it's a "Lexus" and customers expect perfection. But personally, knowing my car and what to expect; I'd rather deal with the once in a while flare, than to have my transmission replaced. Then again; if it happened on a "BRAND NEW" 2013-2014 within the first week or two, I'd probably take it back to the dealer. But on a used car; I don't even worry about it. I drive a mix of interstate averaing 80-85 MPH, (Yes, we drive that fast in Wyoming); and I also do a lot of in town driving to work, shopping, etc.... at normal 30-35 mph. I think I've noticed the "Flare" about 4-5 times in the last 6 months. Always when it was real cold in the morning and I was impatient. When I let it warm up or I don't try and race it 2 minutes after starting the car; I never see the problem. Design flaw? Possibly. Problem? No.
Old 01-21-14, 06:24 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

One issue with mechanical design flaws: they tend to let loose after the warranty is over.
Old 01-21-14, 05:07 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by garsarno
One issue with mechanical design flaws: they tend to let loose after the warranty is over.
Yea, they have this built in clock that the manufacturer programmed to automatically go off on a certain date.

I have a 2007 ES350. Yesterday, I had to get the passenger front window replaced because the infamous "TAB" on the glass broke and the window would jump off track. There's a service bulletin about it, etc... My car is 1 year and 20,000 miles past warranty. So, I paid out of my pocket to repair the window. That's life in owning a vehicle. The only difference between the Lexus window and when something similar happened to my ford explorer, was the explorer cost $225 and the Lexus cost my $680.

The "Flare" is something that doesn't just happen over time. It's there since the 1st day the vehicle was produced. My understanding is that it's mainly on the 2007-2008 models. In either case, if it's a problem, then by all means, have it addressed. I don't consider it a problem. But that's my car. Maybe some others have an actual problem.
Old 01-23-14, 06:23 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Well, look at your tab. Plastic tab that should maybe built with metal instead. But no, Lexus still makes them that way and it gives away after many months of aging and / or usage. After most cars are out of warranty. Happened out of my warranty but not out of my Lexus Platinum Extended warranty. Cost of owning a vehicle, sorry but never had that happen on any previous vehicle that I owned. Cheap part that gives away, Lexus issues a service bulletin but does not cover.
Old 01-23-14, 06:19 PM
scfz1000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my used 2007 ultra does it on the first 3rd/4th shift when you drive then never gain during the drive...does it about 60% of the time....i have complained to the dealer about it...but i bought it used so SOL even though the dealer knows it is a common problem/defect,,,,, i have gotten used to it and since it only happens once per drive and not always...haven;t gone to lexus corp.....my lesson....never buy a first model year car...always wait for the second or third year....
Old 01-23-14, 08:50 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by garsarno
Well, look at your tab. Plastic tab that should maybe built with metal instead. But no, Lexus still makes them that way and it gives away after many months of aging and / or usage. After most cars are out of warranty. Happened out of my warranty but not out of my Lexus Platinum Extended warranty. Cost of owning a vehicle, sorry but never had that happen on any previous vehicle that I owned. Cheap part that gives away, Lexus issues a service bulletin but does not cover.
I don't think the plastic window glass tabs is a good example. Considering that is common on a large portion of asian and european cars. The truth is; the reason it costs so much to replace, is because most customers take their car to the lexus dealership for repairs. Certain cars, because of the badge on the side, simply cost more to repair. E.g. lexus, cadillac, mercedes, etc... But I also use this as a learning experience. If similar problem happens again, I'll be able to have the window replaced at Safelite for $350. (Savings of $300). Or now that I've done all the research, I'll be able to buy a new window glass for under $150 and replace it myself. (Savings of $500). Then again, I've probably saved 10's of thousands of dollars in my life by repairing cars, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofs, sprinkler systems, etc... myself. But even knowledge costs money. So, the extra $200-$300 I paid to replace my door window was mainly a learning experience for a similar problem in the future. But again, this window design is not unique to Lexus. It's a very common glass mount on many cars. Unfortunately, when you live in really cold climates when windows freeze shut and you try and open them first thing in the morning, the motor/regulator on the window may pull down to hard while the glass is still frozen in place.

As for the transmission "Flare", I don't think in any of the research or stories I've read on the subject, that anyone ever had a true "Problem" with this on the lexus. It seems to be more of an "Expectation" problem than anything. Basically; a car with such new price tags such as lexus, cadillac, mercedes, etc... simply should be perfect. They shouldn't have ANY type of problems. Then again, I wonder how many people who spend time on forums, actually bought their lexus, mercedes, cadillac, etc.... "Brand New" and spent $50,000+ on it. Most people who spend that kind of money on a car, don't hang out in forums and they really aren't too concerned with the cost of repairs. But the "Flare" problem that I have researched, is not something that happens over time. It's a temporary condition that pretty much has happened since the production of the vehicle. It's not something that just started 5 years after production when the warranty ran out.

Honestly, my biggest issue hasn't been with the "Flare" but getting use to 6 speeds in an automatic transmission simply shifting. I'm so use to 3-4 speed auto transmissions or 5 speed manuals, that feeling 6 gears shifting is something I notice a lot. I test drove a Lexus LS with an 8 speed transmission and it totally freaked me out. I just couldn't handle the shifting. There wasn't anything physically wrong with it. I just couldn't feel comfortable with it. Hence, one reason I decided on the ES. My daughter bought a Suburu Outback with a CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission). I hate it. She loves her outback but says that after 7 years of driving a manual 5 speed, she still hasn't gotten use to the CVT. Takes a while to get use to how to intentionally drop a gear when you want to pass. Point is; the "Flare" that is known on the Lexus, is something that I am not concerned with. When you realize it's temporary, minor, and isn't a mechanical problem that can cause further problems, you adapt to it. And considering that it only lasts a couple minutes when the car is ice cold and first started, it doesn't take much to get use to it.

Last edited by christcorp; 01-23-14 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 06:15 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I can count on my hands and toes how many times the passenger front side window was open on my 2007 in the 5 years I owned it. Driver side many times (banking, drive thru food etc). I wonder why the passenger side window clip is the one that breaks. Anyway, it was a panic when it started happening in late 2006 on the 2007 models with regard to the transmission flare. My 2011, no issues since ownership 10/2011 (but only 15,000 miles too).