ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 08:56 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

I was driving to work in my 2009 ES on surface streets, and within 20 minutes of leaving home as I was at a standstill in traffic I noticed a wisp of steam drift out from the right front. I looked down at my dash and saw the temp gauge pegged at H. I immediately pull over, shut off the car and look under the car and see coolant fluid droplets all over. Refilling the radiator I find the car is short 1.5 gallons. No spots of toyota red on my driveway, all fluid was lost within these 20 minutes of driving to work. No CEL or other warning lights were on. the water pump seal had failed but I was lucky that my engine appears to not have been damaged.

If I had been on the Interstate when this happened I suspect the outcome would have been worse.

It is absurd to have to look at the temp gauge constantly to possibly avoid frying the engine.

However, I am not sure if other car manufacturers are any different.
My Honda (per the manual) doesn't appear to have any warning other than the temp gauge for overheating and nothing specific for low coolant level.
Old 06-03-16, 10:35 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 760 Posts

The problem with the 2GR-FE engine is the water pump itself. Because I knew about the problem I replaced the original WP with an updated one at 65000 miles. The old one was like new but....better safe than sorry.
Old 06-04-16, 11:29 AM
mocanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
The problem with the 2GR-FE engine is the water pump itself. Because I knew about the problem I replaced the original WP with an updated one at 65000 miles. The old one was like new but....better safe than sorry.
There is an improved water pump that doesn't have the same problems as the original? Is this an aftermarket or a Toyota redesigned water pump? If I get one how can I insure that it's the redesigned pump? I'm having some work done on my ES350 next week. If there's another water pump that I won't have to worry about then I'll have it installed at the same time the other work is being done.
Old 06-04-16, 12:44 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Yes, it is an Aisin (Toyota) updated and that means improved water pump.

Part numbers:

Old - 16100-39455
New - 16100-39456
Old 06-04-16, 04:53 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which yr onwards does this updated water pump being installed
Old 06-05-16, 06:45 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

2009 or 2010.
Old 06-08-16, 06:23 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Lexus knew about this problem since 2005 and they did not improve the pump, nor the VVT hose.
Old 06-08-16, 06:29 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Yes, it is an Aisin (Toyota) updated and that means improved water pump.

Part numbers:

Old - 16100-39455
New - 16100-39456
Originally Posted by yeskay
which yr onwards does this updated water pump being installed
I would prefer a change to the new improved part even if the existing one looks new; I think it is better to be on the safe side
Old 06-10-16, 04:42 AM
mocanu
Driver School Candidate

Brought my 2007 es350 (110,000 miles) to an independent mechanic to have a bunch of preventative work done. Had him change the water pump because I don't know if it's ever been changed. Got a call from him yesterday and one of the things he told me was that the water pump was leaking. I have not seen or smelled any antifreeze nor have I noticed any change in the fluid level in the few weeks we've owned it so it must have been a small leak that started recently.

I'm glad I found this site and threads like this one. It made me proactive and headed off a possible engine replacement. It's my wife's car and she probably would never have noticed a leak.
Old 06-10-16, 10:34 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

I recommend you to buy an OEM pump.
Old 06-10-16, 08:21 PM
mocanu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XBROKER
I'd still prefer to see it for myself. If it was OEM, I'd probably replace it anyway; but I wouldn't take the word of anyone.
It's a shame that you don't have anyone you can trust.

I trust my independant mechanic. He specializes in Toyotas and especially hybrids. He's trustworthy, consciences and very reasonable. One of the things I asked him to do was to replace the water pump because I don't know if it's ever been replaced. He let me know that when he changed it he could tell that it had begun to leak. He showed me the pump when I picked up the car today. One of the several things I asked him to do was to change the plugs. He called me and told that the plugs were recently replaced and that they were iridium plugs so he didn't replace them.

I trust him enough that I told him that if he finds anything that didn't look right to fix it and tell me what he did when I pick the car up.

BTW, he uses almost exclusively OEM parts.
Old 06-12-16, 08:25 AM
mocanu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XBROKER
Brought my 2007 es350 (110,000 miles) to an independent mechanic to have a bunch of preventative work done.

I couldn't tell (from your post)if it was someone you had dealt w/ before or not. No offense intended. I moved to a new area & no, as yet I don't trust anyone here. Where I was I had a few guys who could be trusted do the things I could no longer do or don't have the equipment for.
That's a problem with internet conversations, easy to misunderstand. But you know my statement still is true even if it's with a different tone and slightly different wording, it's a shame you haven't found someone to trust yet.

I'm very fortunate to have found someone that is trustworthy. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to my closest of friends. Having someone you can trust is more important then finding the cheapest price. I would never trust a stealership so finding a knowledgable independent mechanic that's trustworthy is very important.
Old 07-04-17, 03:34 AM
luseaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing coolant level

I ve a Lexus Rx350 2010 model it had an overheating issue so I changed the radiator to a double cell against the original single cell,overheating stopped a week after regular driving the car overheated and eversince been refilling every 5days later 3days now like everyday.Just yesterday I changed the water pump drove it in traffic check the next morning to find out it's reduced, the reservoir and the radiator level,took half a litre fluid.Believe me I ve checked for leaks underneath and exhaust doesn't bring out white smoke
Old 07-04-17, 05:46 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by luseaga
I ve a Lexus Rx350 2010 model it had an overheating issue so I changed the radiator to a double cell against the original single cell,overheating stopped a week after regular driving the car overheated and eversince been refilling every 5days later 3days now like everyday.Just yesterday I changed the water pump drove it in traffic check the next morning to find out it's reduced, the reservoir and the radiator level,took half a litre fluid.Believe me I ve checked for leaks underneath and exhaust doesn't bring out white smoke

It bleeded itself. Top it up again and drive.
Old 07-04-17, 11:21 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by luseaga
I'd check the transmission fluid and rad seams...

Quick Reply: Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement