Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 07:20 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
to the OP did you ever check into what i mentioned the other day about
contacting your insurance company explaining what happened and seeing if its covered ? don't tell them you have a extended warranty
just ask them if it is something that would be covered
if they say yes
then you know you can go and authorize the tear down and if Lexus says no to the coverage of the engine repair then you have the insurance to fall back on
Why would he risk a claim on his insurance, risking higher rates in future if he paid premium for a WARRANTY just to avoid paying large amount of money in case of break down?!
Old 02-03-14, 07:21 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

to the OP did you ever check into what i mentioned the other day about
contacting your insurance company explaining what happened and seeing if its covered ? don't tell them you have a extended warranty
just ask them if it is something that would be covered
if they say yes
then you know you can go and authorize the tear down and if Lexus says no to the coverage of the engine repair then you have the insurance to fall back on
Thanks thumperpup. i am dealing with so many issues including a crazy week at work that i didnt get another case started with insurance. my insurance is tyoically very good (auto club) i will see what they say without actually starting a claim..but these days every information just gets recorded on your file As i earlier said, we purchase warranties for peace of mind, but this has been one of the most stressful week..
Old 02-03-14, 07:27 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

i was just about to say the same thing
go to another dealer if there is another one withing a decent distance of you
i have another 2 dealers in 40 mile distance. (towing itself is 300+ ).. i talked to one of them and they ay that "if" an engine tear down is needed then they typically come to an agreement with the customer for certain amount, but not like 2000.
i am waiting if Lexus corporate lives up to their reputation and provides me some input tomorrow.
Old 02-03-14, 07:31 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Why would he risk a claim on his insurance, risking higher rates in future if he paid premium for a WARRANTY just to avoid paying large amount of money in case of break down?!
He the op doesn't even have to tell them something wrong all he needs to do is ask them if it would be covered in this situation

Why would he risk insurance costs ? Because if for some reason lexus doesn't cover it he could pay his deducable and yeah for the next few ears his promise might go higher but better then having to spend 2k for year down and 10k for a new engine
Old 02-03-14, 07:34 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by nautilus11
i have another 2 dealers in 40 mile distance. (towing itself is 300+ ).. i talked to one of them and they ay that "if" an engine tear down is needed then they typically come to an agreement with the customer for certain amount, but not like 2000.
i am waiting if Lexus corporate lives up to their reputation and provides me some input tomorrow.
Does lexus cover your towing under the warranty
Maybe you could ask lexus to take you car to another dealer for you explain that you feel maybe this dealer is trying to rip you off and that also means they are ripping lexus off also perhaps
Maybe they might find it in there best intrest to have it taken to another dealer for the work
Old 02-03-14, 07:55 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think you have to worry about a dealer "ripping off" Lexus.
Old 02-03-14, 08:17 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

He the op doesn't even have to tell them something wrong all he needs to do is ask them if it would be covered in this situation

Why would he risk insurance costs ? Because if for some reason lexus doesn't cover it he could pay his deducable and yeah for the next few ears his promise might go higher but better then having to spend 2k for year down and 10k for a new engine
I am sure they would make it right and would not even have to go in there.
If I was OP i would fight with them till the end, I would not under any circumstances leave them get away with this knowing that I bought a warranty for my peace in mind. No my insurance is not for this.
Old 02-03-14, 08:26 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Truth be told lexus does stand up to the line from what I have heard and had them do for me myself
But the off chance of them not covering it well rememrb they are a corporate giant and we are little stones
But don't give up never give in
However you might have to check your contract with lexus and see if there is an arbitration clause in it
Old 02-03-14, 09:18 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Truth be told lexus does stand up to the line from what I have heard and had them do for me myself
But the off chance of them not covering it well rememrb they are a corporate giant and we are little stones
But don't give up never give in
However you might have to check your contract with lexus and see if there is an arbitration clause in it
yes, there is an arbitration clause.
the other day i was so frustrated at the dealer that i told them to get me whatever i could for that car and asked them to just keep it and get over Lexus for good. they told me it will be very low value, i was still going to walk away from the car, but didnt
the service technicians have been trying to work with me but i dont get it why we can just submit the claim based on what's known so far..
Old 02-03-14, 09:27 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS

I wouldnt say there is a pattern of failures...its a rare issue.
there may be not too many occurrences, the the sequence of events is exactly the same. on this site itself, there are several posts.. Almost all of them didnt get enough warning. by the time the check engine light comes on and you pull over, engine is toast already., we have a warning light for low tire pressure even on the spare, but no warning light for low coolant which could lead to major damages, unbelievable.
Old 02-04-14, 05:44 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess in all of these posts we haven't talked specifically to what the warranty covers. I suspect you need a lawyer to decipher it but it would be a good investment to understand what is covered. Once this is understood then you would have the ability to negotiate what needs to be done. Don't ASSUME what is written you would need to get a detailed specific read out of coverage. Also if you get your car serviced at Lexus what is their liability and once again what is it in writing and what does it cover. Get the facts first and go from there. We all think warranties cover everything but when you dig into the details you find a lot is not covered.
Old 02-04-14, 08:42 AM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I guess in all of these posts we haven't talked specifically to what the warranty covers. I suspect you need a lawyer to decipher it but it would be a good investment to understand what is covered. Once this is understood then you would have the ability to negotiate what needs to be done. Don't ASSUME what is written you would need to get a detailed specific read out of coverage. Also if you get your car serviced at Lexus what is their liability and once again what is it in writing and what does it cover. Get the facts first and go from there. We all think warranties cover everything but when you dig into the details you find a lot is not covered.
i guess may be i do. but then what's the point of buying extended warranty. We feel happy when smaller items are covered by warranty without question, but we buy warranty for such major issues.If we have to go through such hassle for major issues, may be just take chances and dont buy warranty. The cost of smaller items is definitely less than 2000+ we pay for the full warranty.
Old 02-04-14, 12:07 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

I am having the techs figure out where the leak in coolant system is from. But they are saying that the leak in coolant could be a secondary effect of something wrong in engine level. But when my car was towed from side of freeway, I had seen liquid below which looked like coolant. Didn't verify it unfortunately..
And yes, it will be a 3-4 hrs job that I potentially on hook for

Last edited by nautilus11; 02-04-14 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 01:26 PM
Tpcorr
Rookie

Did they provide you with a loaner car?

Tom
Old 02-04-14, 01:43 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tpcorr
Did they provide you with a loaner car?