ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14 | 12:07 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Service techs at dealer has started working on diagnostics and filing the claim with warranty. Will keep you guys updated on the progress.
Old 02-17-14 | 08:32 AM
Tpcorr
Rookie

Any news, Nautilus?

Tom
Old 02-17-14 | 04:00 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Yeah any news to tell ?
Old 02-18-14 | 10:29 AM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

hi all,
still waiting about the details. the dealer has filed a claim and i think the inspector from warranty was planning to come by. should have something later today. will post it soon.
Old 02-19-14 | 02:32 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

AND THE SAGA CONTINUES..
got a call from dealer that inspector from warranty company came and evaluated and Lexus financial services said they will not cover ANYTHING. I havent talked to LFS yet, but this is what i got from dealer. Apparently, they are claiming that car was driven when it was overheating. I seriously dont understand what i could have done differently. I called lexus dealer at first warning when AC stopped. Then when CEL came on, i pulled over on side of freeway and towed the car. They are claiming that there is excessive damage due to overheating. Why the heck the engine didnt give warning early or even stopped teh engine from getting damaged further? i wuldnt have gone through the hassle of contacting lexus and making them cover the diagnostics if i made some mistake. i am engineer by trade and understand the implications of running hot.
the timing couldnt be worse, I have other major issues happening on health front and cant deal with this right now..
Old 02-19-14 | 03:33 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Why did it overheat?? OR.......a better question......why aren't they telling you? It ain't rocket science! Where was the coolant leak? You stated earlier that when the dealer first looked at your car that they had found NO coolant in the system.

Last edited by oldgrump; 02-19-14 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-19-14 | 04:06 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

damm man this sucks
you can always fall back on taking them to court for not covering what they should

sorry to hear about your health issues
Old 02-19-14 | 04:30 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by nautilus11
AND THE SAGA CONTINUES..
got a call from dealer that inspector from warranty company came and evaluated and Lexus financial services said they will not cover ANYTHING. I havent talked to LFS yet, but this is what i got from dealer. Apparently, they are claiming that car was driven when it was overheating. I seriously dont understand what i could have done differently. I called lexus dealer at first warning when AC stopped. Then when CEL came on, i pulled over on side of freeway and towed the car. They are claiming that there is excessive damage due to overheating. Why the heck the engine didnt give warning early or even stopped teh engine from getting damaged further? i wuldnt have gone through the hassle of contacting lexus and making them cover the diagnostics if i made some mistake. i am engineer by trade and understand the implications of running hot.
the timing couldnt be worse, I have other major issues happening on health front and cant deal with this right now..
When you get to talk to the warranty company (is this Lexus or an independent insurance co.) ask them where exactly in the contract it specifics that this type of issue is not covered. If it is subjective and this is not a Lexus warranty then you are toast. So if you are dealing with a Lexus warranty then escalate and if an independent then you might want to consider getting a lawyer.
Old 02-19-14 | 04:32 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

this is the stupidest claim ever. so mad at Lexus.

How would an average person would know if the car overheated where there was no indication that the engine overheated? What does the manual say in a situation like this (AC not working, VSC, ECL lights on). Does it tell you to pull over right away and call Lexus?

Anyone in the forum practice law? who has the burden of proof here in case we need a judge to decide? Lexus or consumer?

Sorry to hear about your health. Get well!
Old 02-19-14 | 04:36 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jagtoes
When you get to talk to the warranty company (is this Lexus or an independent insurance co.) ask them where exactly in the contract it specifics that this type of issue is not covered. If it is subjective and this is not a Lexus warranty then you are toast. So if you are dealing with a Lexus warranty then escalate and if an independent then you might want to consider getting a lawyer.
I think it is a Lexus warranty.
Old 02-19-14 | 05:05 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Attorney time.
Old 02-19-14 | 05:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garsarno
Attorney time.
Yup. It looks like it's going to cost you anyway so you might as well hire a pro and have a fighting chance.
Old 02-19-14 | 05:46 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
hi jagtoes.. it is lexus platinum warranty with 0 deductible
Old 02-19-14 | 05:49 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Why did it overheat?? OR.......a better question......why aren't they telling you? It ain't rocket science! Where was the coolant leak? You stated earlier that when the dealer first looked at your car that they had found NO coolant in the system.
i asked dealer this question several times, they said that there was a major leak in radiator, but not sure if that was caused after the engine was heated. they kept saying that it could be water pump or radiator (obviously) . no conclusion., they said let the inspector decide that
When i talked to the dealer today, the service person kept saying it is irrelevant where the leak was from. WTF? i kept telling them, thats he most important thing., it started the problem.. they just dont get it.. then they are saying it is radiator and water pump both.. not possible that both leaked while i was driving on fwy. my driveway and garage were absolutely clean, not a single drop, so the leak on fwy must have been a major one to cause teh coolant to leak out quickly.. how the heck an avg driver supposed to understand this..

Last edited by nautilus11; 02-19-14 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-19-14 | 07:46 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

It's just too bad that Toyota did not put as much importance on low engine coolant level as they did on the low level of the windshield washer fluid. It would have saved a good number of Lexus ES 350 (and probably V6 Camry) owners a lot of trouble and money. Also not having an excessively high coolant temp linked to the Master Warning, is really dumb.

Quick Reply: Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement