ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14 | 07:33 PM
RainaES350
Rookie

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nautilus11
The Lexus warranty company says that there is no provision of claim review, no appeal, once the decision us made, it's done..
Wow...just WOW!

You think you buy the premium Lexus warranty just for issues like this...
Old 02-20-14 | 09:01 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

It IS possible to have a very slow coolant leak and never see any signs of it. You are dealing with a hot fluid, under pressure, that with a very small leak the coolant can escape in a vapor or near vapor form and may never be spotted in the fluid form, like a drip or wet spot. The odor of coolant with such a leak is very often not noticed. A really slow leak can easily be missed, unless one has reason to go searching for a leak due to one finding the coolant level being low, for example. These kind of leaks are sometimes found when a suspicious looking "steam cleaned" area is spotted that is surrounded by the more normal "grungy" surface/area of the engine. A dried/powdery looking substance somewhat of the color of the coolant may be spotted in some cases. A good example of this has been seen with coolant leaks from the coolant pump shaft seals on these cars.
With the OP he stated at the start that a dealer had accomplished an oil change about a week before his car had the overheat event which included the usual "fluids check", which to me anyway, includes the check of the coolant level. The visual check of the coolant level (assuming the level is visible in the expansion tank, as it should be) takes about two seconds.
Now that the dealer where the car has been getting "diagnosed" has now stated that the coolant pump has been leaking, and it is very doubtful that the coolant pump can leak coolant at any rate other than basically a "seep". We know that this can occur with the face type seal that is used here. Then (yeah......I'm guessing) I'll bet the dealer that did the oil change and the so callled "fluids check" missed the low coolant level at that time. There is more than two U.S. gallons of coolant in the system, and if even lets say, half that amount had leaked out in a week or so (remember that the diagnosing dealer stated that ("the car had no coolant in it") I'm quite sure that the OP would have seen/smelled it. I think that the first dealer is responsible to a large degree in this situation. I know......trying to prove it is another thing. Are both these dealers part of the same "auto group" by any chance? I also think that the "radiator leaking" is nothing more than complete BS......it's too convenient.

Last edited by oldgrump; 02-20-14 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-21-14 | 03:40 AM
Tpcorr
Rookie

Nautilis11,

I'm finding it almost impossible to believe Lexus is going to take this heinous position. When I read your original post I had no doubt your Lexus Platinum Warranty would completely cover this issue. In my opinion they are completely abdicating their responsibility to you. It sounds as if the Lexus dealership is hanging you out to dry in this situation, and that's tough for me to understand.

If they have told you the decision process is complete and there is no other mechanism through Lexus to appeal this decision, it leaves you with only 2 options, which have already been noted in this thread.

You can just eat the cost of the repair and be done with it, or contact an attorney and have them at least send a letter, sometimes just a letter from a lawyer can do wonders.

On a personal note I'm very sorry to hear about your health problems and hope you will soon be well.

Also, in this dispute, you have the moral high ground and they are screwing you, shame on them.

Good Luck

Tom
Old 02-21-14 | 05:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I did call the warranty manager back to inquire exactly this.. He said that he was willing to assist me but the dealer did not give him anything new..he said he gave room to the dealer. But ultimately the original stand that the car was driven when hot was taken. The dealer again said that by the cel comes on, it is already late, then what the heck driver is supposed to do.
Another new info he said is that water pump must have been leaking for some time.. I told him that never saw a drop in my garage or driveway, so that's not possible, but they wouldn't listen..
If the water pump was leaking for "some time", shouldn't they have spotted it when they did an oil change on it earlier?

I think you have a solid case here.

Hope your health condition improves.
Old 02-21-14 | 09:35 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

Have opened up a case with lexus. Identified an attorney, will proceed with next step when I can get some breathing room.
Planning to take the csr to my mechanic and get it checked for what was wrong again..

Probably lesson learned is that even if the company May have superficial reputation, with big claims on warranty they wil screw you over.. And big ticket items is what we buy warranty for .
Old 02-21-14 | 10:17 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

I was just talking to my neighbor who had a similar problem with his Chevy traverse, even needed a tranny replacement along with engine.. Had 65k miles.. Chevy covered it all with rental car..
May be I shud dump my lexus and buy Chevy
Old 02-22-14 | 01:48 PM
RainaES350
Rookie

I was just talking to my neighbor who had a similar problem with his Chevy traverse, even needed a tranny replacement along with engine.. Had 65k miles.. Chevy covered it all with rental car..
May be I shud dump my lexus and buy Chevy
Sometimes it just takes a squeaky wheel...like most insurance companies, it's their job to deny claims. Perhaps your lawyer will be able to open those doors you couldn't on your own.

Not saying you didn't handle it well but I know if this had been me in your shoes, I'd be a letter-writing, phone-calling SOB until someone listened to my pleas...and then I would have still gotten a lawyer,,lol.

I wish you good luck...and continued good health.
Old 02-22-14 | 01:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is absolutely ridiculous and very surprising to me...wow...

I've been around Lexus a long time, and I've seen them cover things like this with less evidence on the side of the driver...

Keep us posted...do not back down and hopefully your attorney will get you covered...
Old 02-22-14 | 02:42 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

My main issue has been that it shouldn't be like this to fight for every step. Lexus is a premium brand and we expect service like that and not waste my time and create headache for what I purchased the warranty for. I have been perfectly honest with all information with lexus and the lexus financial companies and have contacted them ahead of the claim process to make them aware. Did that give them room to prepare for denial? I think one of the main issue was incompetency of techs at dealer too..
Btw, thanks all for the best wishes, that's my priority right now to deal with the surgeons and hospitals

Last edited by nautilus11; 02-22-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-22-14 | 04:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree 100%...

Hope everything works out...
Old 02-24-14 | 10:19 AM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

i contacted lexus customer service and provided them details of teh case to look into, Hopefully they can look into it like a LEXUS should and give me some hope of getting this resolved.
Had to return the loaner to the dealer and pick up my car since it was not progressing anywhere.
Have taken the car to mechanic for evaluation (this mechanic works on high end cars and saw lots of expensive cars in his store being worked on). He gave a rough estimate of $5k to fix the car. ouch!!

deciding whether to dump the car and take the losses, or put in a engine with 13K miles and get it fixed. I desperately need a car though. not sure how long i can rent a car till this is resolved or fixed.
what a mess!!
Old 03-02-14 | 10:22 PM
nautilus11
Driver School Candidate

somebody had mentioned that usually there is a lexus local rep who can be contacted. Does anyone know whats the exact designation for such a position? I still need o follow up with Lexus. i am just being too nice to them and they are taking undue advantage by feeding me BS.
Old 03-03-14 | 03:06 AM
pacmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Also certain vehicles won't register engine over heating if the coolant leaked out of the radiator. Because the sensor measures the temp of the coolant. If there is no coolant them it won't send signals that is overt heating till its to late. Don't know the status your radiator was in, but sometimes that's a problem.
Old 03-03-14 | 07:23 PM
John U
Intermediate

somebody had mentioned that usually there is a lexus local rep who can be contacted. Does anyone know whats the exact designation for such a position? .

Lexus Western Area OfficeToyota Motor Sales Usa Inc
209 Technology Drive # 100
Irvine, CA 92618 - View Map
33.66502 -117.74675
Phone: (949) 727-1977
Old 03-07-14 | 08:10 AM
Stu
Racer

Just read most of this thread. Hope your health is good, that is far more important.
I hate insurance companies. They take your money and always try to avoid paying claims !
I am not a lawyer but when you hire one, see if you can ensure he/she makes sure that Lexus and the insurance company will be responsible for his fees too.

Be careful with lawyers too. They too often act in THEIR best interest.

Quick Reply: Major Problem - Engine overheated and needs replacement