Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 01:01 PM
ROKOPURI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

Hey guys,

Just joined the site. My 2012 ES350 is in need of new tires…just shy of 30K miles. Anyone have any recommendations?

For my last Lexus (IS300) I got Pirelli's…should I go with the same?

Ro
Old 02-05-14, 02:14 PM
Tpcorr
Rookie

Hi and welcome to the forum. Based on recommendations from this forum I just put Michelin Primacy MXV4 93V on my 2009 ES350. So far they've been quiet, comfortable and handle very well. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find a lot of info on this topic. Good luck!

Tom
Old 02-05-14, 03:02 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As mentioned, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 seem to be the favorite. (Not to be confused with the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8).

As for Pirelli, those are some of my favorite. I've been using them for more than 30 years. Mostly on fast cars on dry roads. But from all the reviews I've seen, if you choose the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season PLUS, you'll be picking a really good tire. In "SOME" reviews, it outperforms even the Michelin Primacy MXV4. And they are also less money, and they have a 70,000 mile tread life. (Don't forget the PLUS - Non-Plus aren't really ALL SEASON. Not that great with snow). But if you live in a not so snowy place, then the Non-Plus would be just as good.
Old 02-08-14, 08:25 AM
CQRT
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a link to another thread with a lot of commentary . .

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...for-es350.html
Old 02-08-14, 08:40 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpcorr
Hi and welcome to the forum. Based on recommendations from this forum I just put Michelin Primacy MXV4 93V on my 2009 ES350. So far they've been quiet, comfortable and handle very well. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find a lot of info on this topic. Good luck!

Tom

What is the difference between the 93V or the 94V or the 94H other then speed rating and price.
Old 02-08-14, 11:39 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by christcorp
As mentioned, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 seem to be the favorite. (Not to be confused with the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8).

As for Pirelli, those are some of my favorite. I've been using them for more than 30 years. Mostly on fast cars on dry roads. But from all the reviews I've seen, if you choose the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season PLUS, you'll be picking a really good tire. In "SOME" reviews, it outperforms even the Michelin Primacy MXV4. And they are also less money, and they have a 70,000 mile tread life. (Don't forget the PLUS - Non-Plus aren't really ALL SEASON. Not that great with snow). But if you live in a not so snowy place, then the Non-Plus would be just as good.
Is the Michelin Primacy MXV4 what's typically on the 2011 ES? Is it snow friendly?
Feedback please!
Old 02-08-14, 01:51 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
What is the difference between the 93V or the 94V or the 94H other then speed rating and price.
The Number, e,g 93 or 94 refers to the max weight the tires are rated at for normal pressure. (There's tables for them). The Letter; e.g. V or H is the highest SPEED at which the tires are rated at for normal pressure while maintaining control. Now, while the "H" may be rated at a speed of 130 mph and the "V" rated at 149 mph, many people think that is doesn't matter which you get, because you'll "NEVER" go that fast. Well, it's more complicated than that. The combination of speed rating and weight rating work together to determine how well the car handles in numerous conditions. Think of a stereo amp. Either car or home. Would you buy a 200 watt amplifier because you actually believe you will be listening to the music with all 200 watts? No. You'd be deaf very quickly. However, if you listen lets say at 20 watts, then you are driving the amplifier to only 10% of it's max potential. Therefor, it will perform better then say listening at 20 watts on a 40 watt amp that is being driven at 50% of it's capabilities. Crappy example, but the tire speed rating is designed to determine to control and handling at lower speeds. As silly as it sounds, the BEST rating you should buy for you car, is the one the recommend. If it says 93H then that is what you should buy if it says 94V, then that is what you buy. You car was designed around those numbers. Will your car blow up if you put different ones on? No, not at all. Matter of fact, on many of my cars, I don't even worry about it. But it does affect how the car performs. And being it's a lexus, worth quite a bit of money, and you're expecting a certain level of comfort, mileage, etc.... you should buy the ratings that it's designed for and recommended.

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Is the Michelin Primacy MXV4 what's typically on the 2011 ES? Is it snow friendly?
Feedback please!
Can't speak for the 2011, but my 2007 came standard with Micheline Energy MXV4 S8. But for your 2nd part of the question, yes, the Promacy MXV4 is snow friendly. "Emphasize the word FRIENDLY". They aren't snow tires by any means. However, the Primacy MXV4 are factory siped. Which means that additional slits are cut into the treads to give better traction in snow and water. Most tire shops will sipe most tires for you, but Michelin is one of the few, if not only one that sipes the tires at the factory. So yes, they are snow friendly.

And while I'm a mega Michelin fan, and may possibly buy the Primacy MXV4 as my next set of tires, in reply to the other poster who currently has Pirelli tires. Both are great and you won't go wrong with either one.
Old 03-02-14, 09:16 AM
ShogunSTL
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased 2 Goodyear Assurance FuelMax to Mach the Goodyear touring a I have on the front...

I am starting to think I will skip out on the Goodyears and get the Primacys due to all the praise
Old 03-03-14, 10:46 AM
AvsFan
Driver School Candidate

I bought the Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55R-17 94H about a month ago. I had read here about a year ago that the 94H may ride a little better then the 94V. I have no way of knowing if that is true, but the tires I bought ride at least as good as the original tires (S8) did when they were new.

At Discount Tire stores in Houston the 94H is about $30.00 less per tire than the 94V. If you buy from Discount Tire you can check their web site for local stock and save yourself some running around. A month ago the 94H were in stock at most of the local shops, but today most shops don't have it in stock. In Houston, the 94V tire is considered "Special order" with no stock at the shops, but that could be different in other areas of the country.

Last edited by AvsFan; 03-03-14 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-03-14, 11:18 AM
ROKOPURI
Driver School Candidate

I live in San Francisco, Bay area. So snow is not an issue. I will probably go for the Pirelli's.

Thanks for the input!!!