ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Non ML 2011 ES350 (speaker upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 02:20 PM
DavidEArag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non ML 2011 ES350 (speaker upgrade)

I DO NOT have the ML system and I am used to having either JBL or Bose in my vehicles so, this stock system doesn't sound good at all.

I have a couple of options and wanted to run them by everyone for input.

option 1: buy ML speakers so its an easy replace w/out any cross over or installation issues (with gaps, etc from an after market speaker install).

question with option 1: What OHM are the ML speakers? I heard (BUT am still very unclear...) that the front tweeters are 8OHM but the 6x9 and rear inverted woofers are 4OHM????

option 2: buy after market speakers through crutchfield and use their probably cheap freebie speaker brackets to mount 5 1/4 in back and 6 (?) in front.

issue with option 2: I have only been able to find matching brand speakers (focals) that don't have that huge crossover box and its $250 a pair.

I am leaning towards the ML drop ins because they'd be a direct replacement for the factory locations w/the plugs, gaps, etc... and since the front is a 6x9 and the rear is an inverted woofer, it should help with the limited bass from the non ML sub in the rear deck.

I have a third option which is installing a bose amp, speakers, and sub in the car but it would likely cause a limited bass situation becuase the system i normally install (and have on hand) needs the sub to be up front near the front speakers (to make sure the mid bass speakers up front match the sub).

Input?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-14, 05:03 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On e-bay motors, they have a ML / navigation head unit for $1795. By the time you buy all of the necessary speakers, antenna etc, you would be looking at close to $3000. These cars are as tough to upgrade the sound system as was the 97 Taurus (oval head unit). I replaced many a speaker in previous cars and the sound improvement was marginal with oem sound systems. I would shop around and see what custom set ups were done by high end shops and improvise from there.
Old 03-07-14, 11:16 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

The "cheap freebie bracket" is made from the EXACT same material as the speaker frames of both the standard and ML speakers. They are both cheap, plastic. Anything you get from Crutchfield is better and anything from Lexus.

Although Bose car audio is really just a licensing issue, I wouldn't spend any money that eventually ends up with Bose. Friends don't let friends buy Bose. No highs, no lows, it must be Bose. I know those are geared more towards their home audio systems, I still steer people away from any company that is more hype than performance.

Just follow my thread. The only thing not covered is my wife frying the driver side Phoenix Gold mid. It took some mods to the adapter but I squeezed in a pair of Crescendo Audio oversized 6.5" mids and they sound awesome.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-a-2007-a.html
Old 03-09-14, 04:30 PM
Mrmarcusw
Driver School Candidate

Robert,

I bought a pair of MTX Thunder coaxial 6x9 from Crutchfield with the intent of installing in the front doors of my '11 ES350. Now after reading other post I'm returning them for a 6.5" component set for the front doors. I'lI replace the dash and front door speakers. Do you think I could keep the 6x9s and install in the rear doors for rear full range fill.
Old 03-10-14, 10:38 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mrmarcusw
Do you think I could keep the 6x9s and install in the rear doors for rear full range fill.
No. The opening for the rear door speaker is 6". Here's what the speaker looks like -

You can see the factory front speakers in my thread. Since I haven't updated it, here are my current front door speakers. http://www.crescendoaudio.com/index....?category_id=4