Best spare key "on the vehicle" solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 06:59 AM
rstanek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best spare key "on the vehicle" solution

Hi all,

Just got a new to me 2008 ES 350. What a wonderful car.

This forum has been extremely helpful so far, and I appreciate everyone's contributions.

As an avid outdoors person, I personally know the value of a "spare key" in a secure spot on the outside of a car.

With my Acura, the solution was to get a non transponder key made that will open the actual door, and then retrieve my hidden valet key inside the vehicle for back up. Cheap and effective.

Based on reading this forum, it appears that I am in for a new challenge.

So far, it seems that I have 2 choices:

1. Buy a new aftermarket key fob and have it programmed to match the car and then find a way/place to store it securely (with battery removed) for such an occasion.

2. A variation of number 1 above, have a physical key cut for the outside emergency entry (the hidden key thing on the drivers door), and then have a spare transponder (with battery removed) hidden inside the car for such an emergency.

Any thoughts on a better solution? Advice on how to do it in expensively? Best place to locate a spare "key" or transponder outside the car?

Much appreciated.
Old 05-18-14, 01:48 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

just take the key blade that you would use to open the door if the batter was dead and hide that somewhere on the outside of the vehicle like you did with your Acura then you keep the transponder in the car
now the only issue i would possibly see with this is
finding somewhere in the cabin of the car that the car won't think your trying to lock your key into the car

i like the feature because cause i used to lock myself out all the time now that i don't ever even have to take the key out of my pocket im happy but if i do leave it like when i leave the car with valet ill always be happy knowing they can't leave the key in and lock the car by accident

but you know the key blade im talking about right the one that unlocks the drivers door there is a cover on the door handle that pops off and the key hole is there for you to unlock the drivers door

if you could find a pouch that would hide the signal from the car and the key transponder then maybe you will be able to put the key in there and hide it in the vehicle