ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

High Idle at Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 09:58 AM
fildrill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle at Start Up

Hi All, just purchased a beautiful 2007 ES 350. Love it but when I start it first thing in the morning, the idles shoots to 1800 for a second then up to 2000 for about 10 seconds then slowly comes down to 600ish. Also, during this "1800 and 2000" time, the oil maintenance light comes for a few seconds. Oil was changed just prior to purchase. Car has 100k and rides immaculate- 25.5 mpg mixed. Any sugestions?

Thanks for any help
Old 06-03-14, 11:58 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The oil maintenance light?? You are talking about the yellow triangle illuminating and a message with "oil maintenance req'd"......correct? If that's all it is then whoever changed the oil did not reset the oil change system. If a buzzer sounds along with a message of "low oil pressure" then shut the engine down immediately. If a "low oil level" message appears then check the oil level.
The start and warm up engine speeds sounds high to me, but I'm living where it's much cooler the NC, I'm sure. Do you know what the viscosity of the oil used on the last oil change is?
Did you buy this car from a dealer? Do you have the Owner's Manual?
Old 06-03-14, 12:48 PM
fildrill
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply OldGrump, yes, its the yellow triangle and it only comes on when the car is "cold" and during initial start up. It doesn't come on when the car has been driven then shut off then restarted. It was purchased from a one owner who has extensive records. The oil was changed at the Lexus dealer so I'm very certain its the right viscosity and they would have reset the oil light. I'm wondering (and pretty sure, that the illuminating yellow oil maintenance light coming on is tied in to the high idle at start since oil has not lubricated the whole engine) Hoping there is an Idle Air Controle, Mass Air FLow Sensor or similar that may be the culprit. No codes though.

Thanks
Old 06-03-14, 01:40 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's the warning light coming on and it's accompanied with ONLY the "oil maintenance req'd soon" or the "oil maintenance req'd" message then those two messages are tripped strictly by the mileage (4500 mi. & 5000 mi. respectively) since the last oil change (assuming that the system was reset). Those two messages are not related to engine RPM or how the engine is getting lubricated. It's associated with the ignition "ON" "CHECK". You'll see the message "CHECK COMPLETED" on the message center a few seconds after you've put the car in the ignition "ON" mode (by pressing the start button once) and/or soon after you start the engine. The car's system seems to think that an oil change is due, or soon will be. The reset procedure is explained in the Owner's Manual and you can do it yourself. I would try accomplishing the reset procedure and see if that stops the light from illuminating along with the message being shown.
Even though there are no fault codes that does not necessarily mean that there may not be engine operating issues. When you go through the car's service "papertrail" is there any history related to engine idle issues or any other engine performance issues?
Old 06-03-14, 01:47 PM
fildrill
Driver School Candidate

Ok, gotcha, I'll reset the oil indicator. No indication from past paperwork of idle issues. I'll do a scan myself on my scanner and see if anything comes up. Really appreciate the info. BTW, I called the local lexus dealer; they want me to bring it in (of course)