ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

DIY: Gummy Trunk Switch replacement ES350

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14 | 05:15 PM
ATXman
Driver School Candidate

Default DIY: Gummy Trunk Switch replacement ES350

I have a gummy sticky trunk release button on my ES350 which gives me sticky black fingers if I don't use the remote. I have had this same issue on my 08 Hybrid Camry that was handled under warranty. This issue is also prevalent on RX models.

I ordered a new button at dealership $74 and decided to save myself the additional $50-75 for less than 30 minutes of effort.

I hold no responsibility to this write up, proceed at your own risk. I am providing what I did for a successful outcome and is simply for your information.

Tools needed:
New Switch Assembly: 84945-50010
A trim fork is a recommended for this project. If you don't have one, use flat head screwdriver with needle nose pliers and work out trim clips slowly to avoid damaging clips.
Phillips Head Screwdriver
Ratchet
10 mm socket or wrench
Paper towels/rags/spray cleaner, it's sometimes dusty underneath

Procedure:

This is not a hard job, just need to go slowly and not force anything as clips and parts can break and tear.

1. Remove your License plate (not even sure that this step was necessary)

2. Open the trunk and remove the 10 trim clips around the trunk liner and gently let the trunk lid liner hang from 2 white clips attached on the underside of the liner to the trunk lid and the emergency release pull. *THERE ARE 2 OPTIONS FOR THIS STEP* I removed the cable from the emergency pull OR you can gently maneuver the emergency release switch out of the lid itself. I have heard that you can wiggle and move it to the passenger side until it slips out of liner.

3. Now that the trim panel is off, you will see the reverse light/trunk pop assembly. Inside the trunk panel you see the wiring harness. Remove the one or two 10mm bolts holding the old switch in place and put them somewhere like the trunk or a box out of the way with your trim clips. Disconnect old switch and connect new switch. Clean out any melted plastic cover at the opening in trunk lid and re-bolt switch to trunk lid.

4. New Switch with grommet installed.

5. If you worked the emergency release out of the trim panel the work the release pull back through the trim panel OR if you removed the emergency release as I did then you will need to push the emergency release through the liner and then use your left index finger to hold the cable for the pull in position and with your left hand guide the pull into the pull assembly and reattach the cable to the pull (sounds more complicated than it is and you can actually practice before doing with the liner.) Once the emergency release is reattached then hang the 2 white clips from the trim panel to the trunk lid by the license plate.

6. Verify all you have left is 10 clips for the trunk lid liner panel.

7. Push trim clips through holes in trim panel into holes of trunk lid.

8. Check for any leftover hardware. Vacuum trunk out and test button.
Old 07-21-15 | 07:32 AM
samathews
Driver School Candidate

Default Same result - less steps

Thanks ATXman. This saved me a lot of trouble and expense. First of all, the ES (mine is a 2007) is different and much simpler than a similar post I saw for a GS. I also was able to follow your instruction, but in an easier manner. Only took me 5-10 minutes.

step 1 - remove the 10 trim clips - by far the most difficult part.
step 2 - carefully bend back the liner to expose the trunk switch (I did not remove or disconnect anything else - license, emergency release - everything stayed in place.
Step 3 - you will have ample (adequate) room, by bending the liner back to unscrew the old switch and replace with the new switch.
Step 4 - put liner back in place and secure with trim clips. As ATXman shows, there are a couple white underside clips (pic # 3). IF these have disengaged, put them back in place.

I was having trouble with the trim clips, until I found the "tool" (pic 4) that worked perfectly in the kitchen drawer - I think it is a cheese fork - don't tell my wife.

Last edited by samathews; 07-21-15 at 07:35 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 06-19-16 | 11:47 AM
Ismtm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the post. I figured I was going to get a new switch so I peeled off the gummy rubber completely and the button works good as new. It doesn't look bad either. Now it is just a white plastic button that won melt as easy.
Old 06-19-16 | 08:20 PM
KMiles
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ismtm
Thanks for the post. I figured I was going to get a new switch so I peeled off the gummy rubber completely and the button works good as new. It doesn't look bad either. Now it is just a white plastic button that won melt as easy.

If you live in area with lots of rain or run it through the car wash, eventually the switch will fail and you'll need to replace it. I just did mine on another car and now it works great.
Old 06-20-16 | 03:28 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

You are GOOD! This us above my pay grade!
Old 08-21-16 | 09:41 AM
RA031824
1st Gear

Thanks, this is going on my list of repairs, along with the rubber cover on steering wheel buttons is peeling off if anyone can point me in right direction for this fix.

Last edited by RA031824; 08-21-16 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 01-01-20 | 08:22 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Just ordered one from ebay for $30. OEM new.
Old 01-01-20 | 09:33 AM
nevernu
Instructor

yeah pressing mine is finally unworkable too. Was wondering about peeling off the melted plastic and instead of reinstalling it with just the plain white button, if i cut a piece of bicycle tire to size and reinserted the old switch over it. Bolted in, it should both seal trunk and protect the white button? Will try this as soon as winter lets up and I can find the car
Old 01-04-20 | 12:01 PM
tolian21
Advanced

wow, just replaced mine, 20min. Only had to remove 10 plastic buttons. $30 and its back like new. Buy it on eBay/Amazon, Lexus dealers want like $60+ for this part. My part was new OEM, and identical part numbers, so its legit.