ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Navigation ES350 2007

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 01:25 PM
MacG2014
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Navigation ES350 2007

Rather than hijack the other ES350 Nav thread, I thought I would post here. Does anyone else's Naviagtion suck? It has the agree button on the opening screen so I think it is 6.1 but it is a pain to use. For instance my wife tried it this weekend and it had her going over 5 miles out of her way on surface streets to get to the freeway from where we live and her start point. The unit does not even have our street address in it. She was using Waze on her iPhone as a back up during this test. Once she go to her destination and it was time to leave as she was making her way back to the freeway it was trying to give her directions BACK to where she was. She finally pulled over read some in the manual and cancelled navigation. The first address we put in it did not have the street number but if you only put in the street then is will show the town.

I realize this was made before Waze etc but really? I think some archaeologists found something like this in the Pharaoh's tomb,,,,Some of this is operator error like turning off navigation but still just trying to type in the address and it locking out whole cities because it does not recognize the street number make this unit useless IMHO.

Anybody know better how to make this work?
Old 01-01-15, 05:17 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Your nav system is from 2006 if your car is a 2007 and could possibly even be a 2005 depending on the build date.
It is not automatically updated as the information is on a disc on the 07.

On the other hand, waze is constantly updated via their partnership with Google and the ability to access it remotely via internet.

Though not the best way, the nav in the lexus will get you to the right destination. It uses a different algorithm which I believe favors either L or R turns. I do not remember which and this is why it leads you around. Whether or not they changed this in later versions I do not know. I only use the nav as a basis for directions and find mobile to almost always to be better because of constant updating.

As for the roads which are not there it is because the map version is 10 years old now. If you want them they will most likely be in the revised update (unless you live in the middle of nowhere) so you will need to buy a nav system update. I also believe they got rid of the press to accept on the nav in later versions but am not sure if it is a feature on the older dvd/cd nav system.
Old 01-05-15, 12:06 PM
MacG2014
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xanderES
You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Your nav system is from 2006 if your car is a 2007 and could possibly even be a 2005 depending on the build date.
It is not automatically updated as the information is on a disc on the 07.

On the other hand, waze is constantly updated via their partnership with Google and the ability to access it remotely via internet.

Though not the best way, the nav in the lexus will get you to the right destination. It uses a different algorithm which I believe favors either L or R turns. I do not remember which and this is why it leads you around. Whether or not they changed this in later versions I do not know. I only use the nav as a basis for directions and find mobile to almost always to be better because of constant updating.

As for the roads which are not there it is because the map version is 10 years old now. If you want them they will most likely be in the revised update (unless you live in the middle of nowhere) so you will need to buy a nav system update. I also believe they got rid of the press to accept on the nav in later versions but am not sure if it is a feature on the older dvd/cd nav system.
Favors right or left turns is interesting but it still missed the second closest on ramp by nearly driving right by it.

The missing streets are 40 years old.

I am reticent to kick down a C-note try a new DVD to see if it navigates any better.
Old 01-05-15, 12:11 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update the maps. gps technology has changed on the suppliers end. if you dont update on the user end there can be conflict with the data transfers.
Old 01-08-15, 11:31 AM
Lexample
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My navigation isn't much better. I also have a 2007, no accept button though. Like Xander, I only use my navigation as a general guide and always have the phone's navi running as well. I've searched a few times for a "free" navigation update dvd. If I happen to find one, I'll be sure to come back and let you know.
Old 01-20-15, 02:00 PM
rwmnau
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 (generation 5) that still had the original maps when I bought it, and I replaced it with the 13.1 maps on discount right before the brand new 2014 maps came out just a few months ago. It definitely has more streets (our neighborhood was built in 2008 and wasn't on the original maps), but I also think the routing is a bit better than the previous version. There's a software update that happened in one of the years and it loaded when I installed the new DVD - the accept button is gone now, but the rest of the interface is largely unchanged. I'd recommend updating it to something relatively new - if you can still find 2013 maps (now that the 2014 maps are out), you can get them pretty inexpensively.