ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2009 ES 350 Dead Battery If I Dont drive it for 4-5 Days

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 09:06 AM
shaxs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 ES 350 Dead Battery If I Dont drive it for 4-5 Days

I have a 2009 ES350 that keeps having a dead battery if I dont drive it for 5 days or so. I had a backup camera installed with a new rear view mirror that has a LCD in it. The original yahoo at a professional shop couldn't get the car to start when he wired the mirror into the accessory switch so he hard wired it constant on. That killed the battery so I took it back and made them fix it. Now that only turns on when the car is on.

I also have a Blackberry Music Gateway in the center console to give me bluetooth streaming to the car. It is this item:
Amazon.com: Blackberry Music Gateway 2 (12v Power) Car Edition Plus Ultra Fast Dual 2 AMP Car Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Blackberry Music Gateway 2 (12v Power) Car Edition Plus Ultra Fast Dual 2 AMP Car Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

Other than that, the car is stock.

I got a job downtown days after buying which meant I could carpool with my wife to work. I also got the camera installed very soon after buying it. Anywho, point being I never let the car sit for 5 days without driving it before installing the camera so I dont know if it is a problem unrelated to the camera install (I am guessing so though).

A couple of questions:

1) If the idiot also wired the backup camera in the back to a source that is always on, can the juice from the camera being on for 5 days be enough to kill the battery?

2) Does the power outlet in the center console stay on even when the car is off? If it does stay on, then the blackberry bluetooth stream could also be killing the battery. EDIT: Outlet does not stay on when the car is off.

3) Is there anything else I should check to see what could be causing this? Car is CPO and has a 5 year warranty. Should I have Lexus take a look or will they say tough luck you installed after market equipment?

Last edited by shaxs; 06-25-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-25-15, 11:21 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

It sounds like a bad battery. They typically last 2-4 years. You can go to most auto parts stores and they'll load test your battery for free. Make sure it's fully charged for testing. Once you know the condition of the battery, call Lexus. That would be my first move. Your aftermarket stuff won't matter to Lexus CPO warranty.
Old 06-26-15, 03:46 PM
shaxs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
It sounds like a bad battery. They typically last 2-4 years. You can go to most auto parts stores and they'll load test your battery for free. Make sure it's fully charged for testing. Once you know the condition of the battery, call Lexus. That would be my first move. Your aftermarket stuff won't matter to Lexus CPO warranty.
Okay I can try that. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to check my paperwork, but I believe they put a new battery in it when they did the CPO service to get it ready for sale. I will double check though.
Old 06-26-15, 04:00 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I just bought a CPO and they put in a new battery 8 weeks before. I had them test it before taking delivery and it was bad. It happened to me and it can happen to you as well. BTW, it is possible for your dash cam to run down a battery if it's running 24/7.
Old 06-28-15, 03:42 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a professional shop cant test/wire in a fuse for accessory power than they are NOT a professional shop. They're garbage like an electronics shop at "enter big box electronics store here".

Even for things like that I would go to a reputable audio shop and have them do it. ITS SUPER EASY to tap a fuse for power when they can pull up schematics on their computer system. I would never go back to that initial shop if they cant even tap a fuse.

If you check the battery it should have some sort of "x year" warranty. They will pay you a % of what is left of the warranty if it has indeed failed.

A multimeter would be useful to check both the standing voltage of the battery over a couple of days and checking if any of the installed accessories are drawing power when the car is off.
Old 06-29-15, 10:03 AM
shaxs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xanderES
If a professional shop cant test/wire in a fuse for accessory power than they are NOT a professional shop. They're garbage like an electronics shop at "enter big box electronics store here".

Even for things like that I would go to a reputable audio shop and have them do it. ITS SUPER EASY to tap a fuse for power when they can pull up schematics on their computer system. I would never go back to that initial shop if they cant even tap a fuse.

If you check the battery it should have some sort of "x year" warranty. They will pay you a % of what is left of the warranty if it has indeed failed.

A multimeter would be useful to check both the standing voltage of the battery over a couple of days and checking if any of the installed accessories are drawing power when the car is off.
Yeah I agree. I wont be going back. They are fairly well known here and seem to have a good reputation.

I will use my multimeter to check and see how much power it being drawn with the car off. Whats a standard amount?
Old 06-29-15, 10:38 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Did you get the battery load tested, what was the result?
Old 06-29-15, 10:43 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

You said that the cam and the gateway are now both off when the ignition are off. That means the only draw should be Lexus systems that would never kill the battery. Has the battery died since you had the cam connection fixed?
Old 06-29-15, 12:57 PM
shaxs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
You said that the cam and the gateway are now both off when the ignition are off. That means the only draw should be Lexus systems that would never kill the battery. Has the battery died since you had the cam connection fixed?
I have not had a chance to have an auto parts store load test the battery yet as I was out of town.

The MIRROR and gateway are off. I am not sure if the camera in the back is drawing power when the car is off. I still need to test that.
Old 06-29-15, 01:19 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.