ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Water pump failed no warning engine fried

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 06:23 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It isn't piston slap, because it doesn't happen when the car is in 70-80 degree weather all day. It's up top in the case I reference, trust me.
Old 11-08-15, 07:47 AM
mrh1965
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case the noise from the engine compartment was in no way lifter noise or piston slap, thank you. It was an absolute racket for the first few minutes of operation clearly coming from the front of the engine. Something was failing and it turned out to the the water pump. I don't know why the noise was reduced or gone at warmer temps but that was the deal.
Old 11-08-15, 12:28 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You didn't take the car in when it started making the noise?
Old 11-08-15, 04:41 PM
mrh1965
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Othic
You didn't take the car in when it started making the noise?
If this is directed to me, I have had the car less than two weeks. Got it from a family member. With the expense of the new pump it goes from a great deal to a good deal. So be it. In fairness, I have spoken to them this weekend and they offered to help out on the replacement cost but I said no. I will get it back over time in steak dinners and good cabernet, trust me. Money shouldn't come between family.
Old 11-13-15, 04:26 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Out of the hundreds of thousands of Lexus' and Toyota (V6) sold how many have had to replace a water pump . Out of these failures how many were cause by lack of maintenance (failure to check water on a regular bases per the OM). How many failed water pumps resulted in a blown engine. My bet is this is an insignificant issue and it falls way outside the warranty window.

Any failure to check coolant levels was a dealership error. My car was impeccably maintained. yes it appears to be a significant issue!
Old 11-13-15, 04:29 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msim

As I said before, they were very nice in the beginning. They paid to have my car towed to the Lexus dealership, and they told me to wait an answer after they will review the dealership's report. Next day, they called me and they decline any responsibility, any compensation. I went to the dealership to see the report, and they were very surprised, because they didn't send anything to Lexus!!! They were still working on the car.
I called again Lexus Customer Satisfaction and they said to send a letter to NCDSUSA.ORG website, if I want to continue with my complaint against them.
Those guys said also that they can't do anything because my car was out of warranty.
Unbelievable...someone with the same experience!! I guess I won't waste my time with NCDSUSA
Old 11-13-15, 06:10 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by nvstella
Any failure to check coolant levels was a dealership error. My car was impeccably maintained. yes it appears to be a significant issue!
Sorry but I don't agree. The responsibility to check items listed in the owners manual belongs to the owner. Failure to do so results in maintenance and warranty issues.
Old 11-13-15, 08:57 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

x2...Jagtoes
Old 11-14-15, 09:32 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That dealer will make a bank on your car...... 2K for low mileage good engine + 1K for labor to replace it and they have your car back on the road for 6K! they will turn around and sell it for 12,000-14,000$ making 6,000 to 8,000 $$$ profit on your car...

Dont over react next time, ask for advice especially before you commit to something you cant afford!!!

Originally Posted by nvstella
Dealer gave me only $3,000 for car and I proceeded to lease a 2016 ES350 so I would have a car to go home in. Lease is $390 for 12,000 miles 3 years. Had I not been in shock and in panic mode I would have leased a Honda CRV because I can't afford this lease payment.
Old 11-16-15, 09:46 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Sorry but I don't agree. The responsibility to check items listed in the owners manual belongs to the owner. Failure to do so results in maintenance and warranty issues.
I would agree, but we have to think that there are people who are paying the dealership price, just for the peace of mind, or because they don't have mechanical aptitudes.
Old 12-02-15, 05:47 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 759 Posts

So, I finally did it.

Water pump failed no warning engine fried-p57snuq.jpg

Water pump failed no warning engine fried-vxftma2.jpg

Water pump failed no warning engine fried-knglwkg.jpg

Replacing the water pump is the biggest PITA the world has ever seen. It took me 14 hours.
What I replaced? The water pump/thermostat/coolant/seals/tensioner/roller bearings.

The old pump was suprisingly good, no leaks, no noise. 70475 miles.
The coolant was in pretty good shape, clean and pink.
The bearings were bad. They should be replaced more often, like every 50000 miles.
The old thermostat was in a good shape, but when I tested both in hot water the new one opened really fast, and sooner than the old one. Seals were like new.

Now, the engineering. The pump is next to the frame. The distance between the pump and the chasis is maybe one inch.
The engineer that came with that idea is a moron. The guy who gave a green light is an idiot.

Last edited by ESh; 12-02-15 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-02-15, 05:56 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

so did u remove the engine or ....?
Old 12-02-15, 06:36 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

No. I just removed the passenger side engine mount and I lifted the engine a bit.
Old 12-02-15, 07:52 PM
cwils71
Driver School Candidate

"The bearings were bad. They should be replaced more often, like every 50000 miles."

which bearings do you speak of? water pump? belt pulley? tensioner?
Old 12-03-15, 03:52 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cwils71
"The bearings were bad. They should be replaced more often, like every 50000 miles."

which bearings do you speak of? water pump? belt pulley? tensioner?

Tensioner and rollers.

Quick Reply: Water pump failed no warning engine fried