ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Water pump failed no warning engine fried

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 08:37 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump failed no warning engine fried

I was on my way to TN for vacation. Car 2008 ES 350 with 49,000 miles had just been to dealer for new battery 1 week before. Driving on I95 and check engine light and 2 other lights came on and smoke came out of hood but temp gage stayed at C even though car was overheating.
Got off hwy and discovered there was no coolant. Bought correct coolant and put it in. Got back on hwy and car started to smoke so pulled off and fortunately car died at end of ramp rather than in the middle of interstate. Had to be towed 50 miles to Lexus dealer in Charleston, SC for $200 who told me that water pump failed and heat destroyed engine. I'm away from home in shock without a car. Dealer gave me only $3,000 for car and I proceeded to lease a 2016 ES350 so I would have a car to go home in. Lease is $390 for 12,000 miles 3 years. Had I not been in shock and in panic mode I would have leased a Honda CRV because I can't afford this lease payment. Dealer JM Lexus in Pompano Beach, FL is taking no responsibility for incident. Will somebody please explain to me how a 2008 with only 49,000 miles impeccably maintained could all of a sudden overheat without warning. Has anyone else had this problem? What recourse do I have. Please help!!
Old 11-01-15, 09:19 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Nothing you can do now, you already sold the car. The CRV's are no better, they're issues with that car too. Some of the older 350 engines in 07-08 had some recalls, i don't know if your car was part of those recalls but if those issues weren't fix, it could have something to do with the motor imploding.. You got a pretty good deal on a new ES, its probably the best car for the money these days.. What happen to you is a fluke unless a recall wasn't done which might have caused this. Sorry for your loss..
Old 11-01-15, 09:38 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your response. The car was purchased in 2011 as a pre certified used car from JM Lexus. There were no recalls that I know of.
Old 11-01-15, 12:58 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 759 Posts

That's a sad story. But at least you drive a new car now.
I'm on original water pump, 69000. No idea how many more miles left on that one. Still no leaks but...
Old 11-01-15, 03:51 PM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Thanks...love your quote. Better keep an eye on that water pump!
Old 11-01-15, 06:37 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My water pump was weeping at the 60k checkup. Replaced under extended warranty I bought. I mentioned to them that I heard some growling under the hood - thought it was the power steering pump; glad they caught it.

The temp sensor is in the head or in the intake crossover for the coolant. One of the faults of the car is that it doesn't have a low coolant sensor, so if it goes low - the sensor loses contact with the coolant and doesn't show anything abnormal on the gauges.

Sorry for the loss of the '08.... that sucks.
Old 11-02-15, 03:03 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for this info. The fact that the sensor loses contact with the coolant when it goes low is an EXTREMELY poor design for any car let alone a LEXUS!! Consider yourself lucky that your dealer had the where with all to catch it. From what I've been told it is very apparent when the coolant starts to leak because of its color. My dealer JM Lexus of pompano Beach somehow missed it which is how I ended up in the mess I'm in.
Old 11-02-15, 04:54 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Unless this was a catastrophic failure I would suspect you should have smelled antifreeze either outside or inside the car. As for the sensor I can't believe the gauge didn't show a high reading. Also didn't you see that the coolant was low while doing you weekly check of all of the fluids. How about any signs on the floor of leaking fluids. It just seems strange to me that no signs were present giving you a warning.
Old 11-02-15, 05:09 AM
nvstella
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Unless this was a catastrophic failure I would suspect you should have smelled antifreeze either outside or inside the car. As for the sensor I can't believe the gauge didn't show a high reading. Also didn't you see that the coolant was low while doing you weekly check of all of the fluids. How about any signs on the floor of leaking fluids. It just seems strange to me that no signs were present giving you a warning.
There was no warning. The dealer had the car the week before.
Old 11-02-15, 09:22 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I cant believe that no one has yet developed a DIY low coolant sensor...!!! Yeah I know we can check it but come on guys , rise to the challenge!!!
Old 11-02-15, 10:22 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 759 Posts

It is no problem to put a level sensor but how i will warn you? You have to put a small LED somewhere and that's not Lexus-ish.

I just ordered a new water pump, roller bearings (Koyo) and Toyota coolant.
At 70000 miles I will change it, together with oil, filters...
I will post a DIY.
Old 11-02-15, 12:15 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
It is no problem to put a level sensor but how i will warn you? You have to put a small LED somewhere and that's not Lexus-ish.

I just ordered a new water pump, roller bearings (Koyo) and Toyota coolant.
At 70000 miles I will change it, together with oil, filters...
I will post a DIY.
Honk the horn, roll all the windows down and open the moonroof all at once. Bonus points if it's raining out.
Old 11-04-15, 08:37 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

You are not the only one. This just happened to me, and to many others; see this thread:
ES350- Check VSC, Check Engine - Engine Stalled!
I just replaced the engine because of the same water pump...

Last edited by msim; 11-04-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 12:31 PM
mrh1965
Driver School Candidate

Interesting thread. I just got an 07 ES350 and found the coolant was pretty low. So far, I have filled the reservoir up four times only to check it the next day and find it dry again. It's taken about a half gallon so far.

Part of the problem, I'm convinced, is those stupid plastic panels Lexus draped all over the engine. I know there are little doors, if you will, that you can lift to check fluids but the overall message is "Hands off". Well, my engine cover panels are off for good and I can actually see and check everything easily.
Old 11-04-15, 01:30 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

My engine covers are off for good too. I kept on breaking the tabs every time I removed them. They also do little to protect the engine from dirt. Most of it comes up from underneath.

Quick Reply: Water pump failed no warning engine fried