ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Problem with Navigation maybe DVD is bad or is it the unit ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 03:57 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Problem with Navigation maybe DVD is bad or is it the unit ?

Ok, so I am having issues.
This happened a few times over the past 4 or 5 months like twice but then usually I could shut the car off and turn it back on, and the problem would go away.

Now that's not working.
What the problem is is that the navigation is not working properly.
I have also attached pictures bellow of what the issue is.

The Unit recognizes that it's a Navigation DVD. And if I already have the address or location I want to go to in my memorized and stores and previous destinations than it will allow me to go to those place and it will find those places.

However, if I have not already inputted an address or location or stores a location in the system then it won't. It doesn't give me any option in regions like the Navigation unit, or the DVD is not showing any regional area options. So when I click on address or POI, there is no data for it to find.

This is I have been the proper DVD because its what I have used for about ten months I think. It's a U39 14.1 version map DVD for my 07 Lexus es350.

Any help, please. Do you think I have a bad DVD? Does it sound like maybe it's not the DVD, and maybe the unit itself is bad?
I have tried ejecting the DVD and reinserting it like a dozen times and it doesn't change anything.
Also, the unit started a few months ago freezing up now and then. But what I mean is I can still use the audio and AC and those features it doesn't' freeze up them. It does freeze out the navigation part at times. As in the kind of like a computer trying to work harder the normal and not being able to keep up with the data it's finding.

thanks.

If you look at the pictures right where it says Select Region. There is a box that is blank it should be right between the select region and the change button. And when I click on change nothing happens. Because from what I remember there should be some picture in there showing the area that are available but the DVD or the navigation unit is not recognizing the regions option.
Attached Thumbnails Problem with Navigation maybe DVD is bad or is it the unit ?-07-navigation-pic-1.jpg   Problem with Navigation maybe DVD is bad or is it the unit ?-07-navigation-pic-2.jpg   Problem with Navigation maybe DVD is bad or is it the unit ?-07-navigation-pic-3.jpg  

Last edited by ThumperPup; 11-14-15 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-14-15, 03:45 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

I have read the problems i have searched on that other shave posted about the navigation but i dont find anything specificlay that leads to this problem.

anyone have any idea ?
Old 11-15-15, 11:46 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Often times when electronic units are freezing, or need to be restarted tt is a sign hardware is on its way out.
Not sure if this is true in your case or not.

Is the disc an OEM Lexus nav map disc and not a bootleg one from ebay?
Scratches on the disc?
If you have a friend with the same year/model car maybe you can try swapping the discs to see if thats the problem or its the actual unit.

If it is indeed a hardware issue it is going to cost you an arm and a leg to replace. Unless you're able to find one from a crashed ES I wouldnt bother. Get a window/dash mounted phone holder and use google maps on your smartphone.
Old 11-16-15, 10:53 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

I put in my old disc from what i got when i bought the car and it works fine its the disc that is a problem.
and it is a OEM disc i bought it on ebay but it was listed their form a Lexus Dealership not some cheap disc that was a bootleg.

i ordered one of those dvd repair disc cleaners and i am going to see how that works their are not really visable issues on the disc
it's not a hardware issue. because the old disc works fine.
Old 11-16-15, 02:11 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im glad that you figured out that it was just the disc. They are dirt cheap compared to a new nav unit.

I'd cancel that order of disc cleaner though.

It can be accomplished with a microfiber towel, water and some compressed air to get the remaining cloth fibers off. They do nothing more than get the smudges/dust off.
They do not actually "repair" any of the corrupted/unreadable sectors from a disc.
Old 11-17-15, 07:54 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by xanderES
Im glad that you figured out that it was just the disc. They are dirt cheap compared to a new nav unit.

I'd cancel that order of disc cleaner though.

It can be accomplished with a microfiber towel, water and some compressed air to get the remaining cloth fibers off. They do nothing more than get the smudges/dust off.
They do not actually "repair" any of the corrupted/unreadable sectors from a disc.
Agreed. I've never had much luck with disk cleaners. They maybe fine for CDs but when it comes to DVDs and Blueray disks they don't work. The data on the foil inside the disk is much more compressed and is much more likely to be affected by scratches and nicks on the outer plastic.

That said, there's more error correction and redundancy built into these formats but it can only do so much.
Old 11-22-15, 10:41 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Yeah, I figured that out once it got here I tried it, and it didn't work for crap, so I returned it. I will still try what you suggest with the microfiber towel water and compressed air but yesterday I went to the dealership near me and bought a 2015 15.1 version disc the new maps for 15.1 version are split up into 2 disc east and west. they both work for the entire country however the east coast doesn't have POI's for the west coast and the West coast doesn't have POI for the east coast. So that kind of sucks. When I had my Cadillac if I bought a New updated disc and it had 2 1 each one west, they both came as a package Lexus you have to buy them separately that sucks. It was 169.00 for the DVD at the Lexus dealer here in Salt Lake. But I used a 15% of coupon from the costcos auto program and got it for 154 after taxes.
Old 11-22-15, 10:43 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Seems like in the audio-video section of the forums no one has an answer but maybe someone over here does.
How do you clean the actual DVD nav drive? Like can I out one of those DVD cleaners in that will clean the head of the DVD driver or just better to spray some compressed air in there?

I tried with a CD Head cleaner but that got stuck in and I had to trick the system to eject it
Old 11-22-15, 06:33 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

You cannot clean the DVD drive itself. The head is a delicate laser which never touches the disk and never needs cleaning. If you did manager to touch the head you would probably break it.

Those DVD "cleaners" are a rip off. They don't do anything. In fact they may cause damage.
Old 11-22-15, 08:10 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jkayca
You cannot clean the DVD drive itself. The head is a delicate laser which never touches the disk and never needs cleaning. If you did manager to touch the head you would probably break it.

Those DVD "cleaners" are a rip off. They don't do anything. In fact they may cause damage.
oh wow ok cool thanks.