ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Audio upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 01:57 PM
wodin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by codejd
Correction: I think you don't even need the phone plugged in to access the "Hey Siri" should you have a 6 or later and your BT is on at both your phone and the HU. Of course at this point the only thing you'll really be able to do through the system would be to place a phone call through the Android side. Your texts, etc. will obviously only be done at the phone.
I have a 6s plus, some I'm good with "hey Siri." I just wanted to make sure I could use steering wheel phone controls, but the Siri button is icing on the cake.
Old 02-10-17, 05:02 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Correction: I think you don't even need the phone plugged in to access the "Hey Siri" should you have a 6 or later and your BT is on at both your phone and the HU. Of course at this point the only thing you'll really be able to do through the system would be to place a phone call through the Android side. Your texts, etc. will obviously only be done at the phone.
So sorry but this is not valid. I have a 6S and just tried placing a call using "Hey Siri" without the phone plugged into the USB1 port and although the call went through, it did not automatically transfer to the stereo through the BT. Probably need to hit the BT on the HU and transfer it manually.

Forgot to mention that the "MODE" control on the steering wheel also works to cycle through your sources!

One drawback to the capacitive touch screen is the need for those texting gloves should you need those where you live.
Old 02-10-17, 05:52 AM
wodin
Driver School Candidate

So sorry but this is not valid. I have a 6S and just tried placing a call using "Hey Siri" without the phone plugged into the USB1 port and although the call went through, it did not automatically transfer to the stereo through the BT. Probably need to hit the BT on the HU and transfer it manually.

Forgot to mention that the "MODE" control on the steering wheel also works to cycle through your sources!

One drawback to the capacitive touch screen is the need for those texting gloves should you need those where you live.
Thank you for the clarification. I don't mind having to plug my phone in since it will charge it anyways. I was a little disappointed it was a capacitive screen instead of a high quality resistive, but I rarely have gloves on anyways.

Btw, I ordered the stereo from Crutchfield last night. There were some additional installation parts they said I needed that you did not list. I think the Axxess one might be because you upgraded your speakers as well, but I'm not sure why I need the extra steering wheel harness.

Metra-70-8114
Axxess-TYTO-01
Old 02-11-17, 04:24 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wodin
Thank you for the clarification. I don't mind having to plug my phone in since it will charge it anyways. I was a little disappointed it was a capacitive screen instead of a high quality resistive, but I rarely have gloves on anyways.

Btw, I ordered the stereo from Crutchfield last night. There were some additional installation parts they said I needed that you did not list. I think the Axxess one might be because you upgraded your speakers as well, but I'm not sure why I need the extra steering wheel harness.

Metra-70-8114
Axxess-TYTO-01
I too generally plug my phone in if only for the charge while I am driving.

We are in complete disagreement about capacitive vs. resistive! When I was searching for a new HU, capacitive touch screen was at the top of my list. The OEM-NAV in my wife's car has the resistive which you can operate with gloves, but you have to push so firmly and there is no scrolling capability anywhere near that of an iPhone, iPad, iTouch, etc.. The only real time it's a problem for me is upon startup since you have to hit "OK" to accept the conditions of CarPlay.

I remember looking at the TYTO--01 but did not end up needing it for the reason you stated. On a side note, I cannot believe you are not replacing the speakers unless you are not trying to improve your car sonically, just visually. These are the stock crap speakers (except the center dash & passive radiator) in a car that comes with the 8-Speaker supposed Premium Sound;

Last edited by codejd; 03-18-23 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Update image.
Old 02-11-17, 05:27 AM
wodin
Driver School Candidate

I too generally plug my phone in if only for the charge while I am driving.

We are in complete disagreement about capacitive vs. resistive! When I was searching for a new HU, capacitive touch screen was at the top of my list. The OEM-NAV in my wife's car has the resistive which you can operate with gloves, but you have to push so firmly and there is no scrolling capability anywhere near that of an iPhone, iPad, iTouch, etc.. The only real time it's a problem for me is upon startup since you have to hit "OK" to accept the conditions of CarPlay.

I remember looking at the TYTO--01 but did not end up needing it for the reason you stated. On a side note, I cannot believe you are not replacing the speakers unless you are not trying to improve your car sonically, just visually. These are the stock crap speakers (except the center dash & passive radiator) in a car that comes with the 8-Speaker supposed Premium Sound;

Have you used some of the Pioneer NEX head units? Their resistive screen is very responsive. I think the big downside is lack of multi-touch, but I can't imagine needing that in my car. I'm happy either way honestly, I just now need a new pair of leather gloves that work with this. No biggie.

As for replacing the sleakers, I hadn't really considered it. I just got the car and was tackling this first. Is there much rework if I get the speakers later?
Old 02-11-17, 07:07 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wodin
Have you used some of the Pioneer NEX head units? Their resistive screen is very responsive. I think the big downside is lack of multi-touch, but I can't imagine needing that in my car. I'm happy either way honestly, I just now need a new pair of leather gloves that work with this. No biggie.

As for replacing the sleakers, I hadn't really considered it. I just got the car and was tackling this first. Is there much rework if I get the speakers later?
Just a difference of opinion, no worries.

The stock premium sound system is terrible; Rober_J was my information source, not sure he's around anymore but his threads offer a wealth of information.
Old 03-25-17, 09:13 AM
wodin
Driver School Candidate

Just a difference of opinion, no worries.

The stock premium sound system is terrible; Rober_J was my information source, not sure he's around anymore but his threads offer a wealth of information.
the weather and my free time finally lined up and I'm installing the stereo. Everything is working except I need some assistance with one thing.

Where did you tap into for the reverse gear signal wire on the radio harness? I have my backup camera tapped into the reverse lights for power, but still need to have the radio know I'm putting it in reverse. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-21, 04:03 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Sorry wodin, I somehow never saw your post?! I could not have been much use though as I did not do that part of the install.

My brother recently recommended I pick up one of these devices to get wireless CarPlay without replacing the HU. It tucks down between the seat so no more phone on the seat or up on the dash.

Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter USB for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter USB for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars

Old 03-18-23, 04:08 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

All images in this thread have finally been restored!
Old 03-18-23, 06:27 PM
Pebblebeac
Driver School Candidate

Nice setup. What year is your ES? CRUTCHFIELD’S had no compatible system for my 09.
Old 03-19-23, 11:28 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pebblebeac
Nice setup. What year is your ES? CRUTCHFIELD’S had no compatible system for my 09.
2008 non-NAV.

You must have NAV because when I switch my options I too see no head unit replacements.

If I had to do it currently I’d probably look into something like this. Pioneer DMH-2660NEX
Old 03-19-23, 01:13 PM
Pebblebeac
Driver School Candidate

Yes, mine is equipped with Navigation but, I am NOT looking for a system which utilizes Navigation, I could use my phone for that.

That said, I would like a system that I’d be able to view the existing backup camera.

In the past, with other vehicles, CRUTCHFIELD’S was always the go to company but, they had nothing. Does your above recommendation allow for backup camera viewing?

Last edited by Pebblebeac; 03-19-23 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-20-23, 11:43 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pebblebeac
Yes, mine is equipped with Navigation but, I am NOT looking for a system which utilizes Navigation, I could use my phone for that.

That said, I would like a system that I’d be able to view the existing backup camera.

In the past, with other vehicles, CRUTCHFIELD’S was always the go to company but, they had nothing. Does your above recommendation allow for backup camera viewing?
I’m really not well-versed in our model with the NAV system, sorry.

I seem to remember people with NAV upgrading with a Tesla-style radio.

Tesla display install.

I think this company is who at least one of them used.

G6 [Octa-Core]

I’m kind of liking this idea and it’s on sale again today although I’ve seen it cheaper in the past. It will display your backup camera.

CARPURIDE CARPURIDE
Old 08-07-23, 10:24 AM
hokiescottyp
2nd gear

I'm looking to upgrade my non-nav 2008 ES350 (newly purchased, only 81k miles!) in similar fashion to the original poster. I was wondering about the microphone install. Would a Pioneer or
BOSS BOSS
double DIN (or any other brand really), be able to utilize the factory microphone? Or would I need to install a separate aftermarket microphone to enable calling through the car speakers with my iPhone over Apple CarPlay? Has anyone done this? And have any pictures of how they did the microphone setup/install?
Old 08-07-23, 11:45 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

I was not able to use the factory microphone so I used an aftermarket microphone that was included with my new HU.

My car is currently in storage so I can’t snap a picture, but it’s coming out right underneath the driver’s sun visor between the glass and header. Hardly noticeable and works very well.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade.