Navigation question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 04:36 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation question

Hello all,

this is my first time posting but I've been here ( without registering ) for a while now. Anyway, I have a

2007 ES 350 w/o navigation and I'm wondering if I get the OEM nav. unit and install it will it actually

work? I live in Quebec, Canada and here I found multiple units ranging from $400-$600 from a

salvage yard. And also I found someone who can install it for $150. Do you guys think is it

worth it to pay $700+ for everything?
Old 03-08-16, 05:47 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

It can be done but not at that cost. You need to get a new wiring harness and the correct support modules. If you research this you will find it a difficult conversion. It is more then just a navigation system as it also integrates more features .
Old 03-08-16, 07:03 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The OEM navigation is not so great to be honest. I'm disappointed that I spent the extra cash on it. Google maps is way better and I use it 99% of the time when I'm driving (with the other 1% of the time being when I'm driving in downtown DC or Baltimore and have to focus more on traffic conditions).

I can't tell you how many times during the last 6 months that my OEM navigation has told me to drive an extra mile and do a u turn when I could just make a left at a traffic light.

I like the look of the non navigation dash better too.
Old 03-08-16, 11:31 PM
jbalian
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a nice double din radio system with bluetooth and gps, the built in gps is almost unusable, it takes forever to input an address, i only use it to get back home if im lost using the "home" shortcut.
Old 03-09-16, 07:19 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tayslexus
Do you guys think is it worth it to pay $700+ for everything?
No, I do not.

Originally Posted by jbalian
get a nice double din radio system with bluetooth and gps, the built in gps is almost unusable, it takes forever to input an address, i only use it to get back home if im lost using the "home" shortcut.
Agreed. I use the GPS from my iPhone.

This is what I did.
Old 03-09-16, 08:44 AM
easterr
Driver School Candidate

I added navigation to my 2001 Infiniti i30, which was an option. I had to make a harness and substitute power and other wires that were not present in a non-navi car. It was a lot of work and the Infiniti does not incorporate climate control and other features in the navigation as the ES does.

You're better off buying an aftermarket radio with navi and other features like Bluetooth, etc. I also find that google maps is best, and we generally don't use the navi in any of our vehicles.

That said, the screen is cool looking in the dash.
Old 03-09-16, 12:42 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It can be done but not at that cost. You need to get a new wiring harness and the correct support modules. If you research this you will find it a difficult conversion .
I did search about that and oh man, what a complicated stuff. Thanks jagtoes.

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
The OEM navigation is not so great to be honest. I'm disappointed that I spent the extra cash on it. Google maps is way better and I use it 99% of the time when I'm driving
I like the look of the non navigation dash better too.
wow. Honestly I thought the OEM is a great system to have but after what you told me I don't think so. I also use google map on my iPhone and I think it's very simple and straightforward. Thank you 12jimmyjam.

Originally Posted by jbalian

Originally Posted by codejd
No, I do not.

Agreed. I use the GPS from my iPhone.

This is what I did.
Thank you guys but I prefer my car to have all OEM parts or nothing at all. I also like better the look of the non navigation dash than to put an aftermarket unit on it.