ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 05:51 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Lexus reliability

Lexus over the years have been on top regarding reliability . I think what some people believe is that reliability is free. But if you look at the way this data is collected you will see a picture that a lot of people don't follow or understand. 1st the data is usually collected from the dealers service records with a select few surveys of Lexus owners. These records reflect cars that have been dealer maintained on the recommended service schedule. That is the only way to get creditable data and takes out the subjectivity. This is also one of the points where info is supplied to the mfg. resulting in some of the TSB's issued to a specific car and model. So if you maintain your car to the OM recommendations and have it done at the dealer then you are in the data base. Now go read your service schedule and I bet there maybe less then a hand full of owners on this and other Lexus forms that follow the schedule. Unlike drivers of yesteryear the several last generations just want a car that you get in and drive without looking at the OM or even know of what a service maintenance schedule was. It's more then just changing the oil. They usually don't break by themselves but most likely by neglect. Imagine if the airlines didn't follow their maintenance schedule.
Old 05-30-16, 06:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Lexus over the years have been on top regarding reliability . I think what some people believe is that reliability is free. But if you look at the way this data is collected you will see a picture that a lot of people don't follow or understand. 1st the data is usually collected from the dealers service records with a select few surveys of Lexus owners. These records reflect cars that have been dealer maintained on the recommended service schedule. That is the only way to get creditable data and takes out the subjectivity. This is also one of the points where info is supplied to the mfg. resulting in some of the TSB's issued to a specific car and model. So if you maintain your car to the OM recommendations and have it done at the dealer then you are in the data base. Now go read your service schedule and I bet there maybe less then a hand full of owners on this and other Lexus forms that follow the schedule. Unlike drivers of yesteryear the several last generations just want a car that you get in and drive without looking at the OM or even know of what a service maintenance schedule was. It's more then just changing the oil. They usually don't break by themselves but most likely by neglect. Imagine if the airlines didn't follow their maintenance schedule.
Depends on what survey you're talking about. For instance, the J.D. Power US Vehicle Dependability Study in which Lexus has been placing first for multiple years now does not look at dealer records. Instead...

Originally Posted by J.D. Power
The Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) examines issues reported by original owners of 3-year-old vehicles. This study measures car reliability by analyzing problems experienced over the past 12 months of ownership in such areas as: features and controls; engine and transmission;entertainment and navigation; heating and cooling; the overall driving experience, and more.
Old 05-30-16, 08:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Consumer Reports gets their reliability information from their Owner Surveys.
Old 05-30-16, 09:23 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Somewhat true and somewhat not. I think that following the service maintenance schedule is one thing but having breakdowns on issues that are not service related are another. For instance, if your purchase a new unreliable car that has a leaky panoramic moonroof one cannot really pin that on the customers lack of following a service schedule, but rather a mfg defect. On the other end I think my associated reliability when compared to other vehicles in the market, some owners tend to believe that their car is bulletproof, so why bother doing normal things like changing fluids other then the oil, or preventative maintenance. But then those same individuals will question the reliability of Lexus has a brand when their vehicle starts acting up at 70k+ miles.

Lexus is reliable compared to similar vehicles, but seeing a car has parts that are subject to wear and tear are not bulletproof and ageless.