ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2011 Lexus ES 350 recommend service after 120K?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 08:57 AM
Nelsons
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If you search youtube it appears that replacing the A/C bearings is about the same on almost all vehicles. I guess they all use the same design A/C compressor.
Ya, It seems straight forward enough in many cases - when you can use tools to help you. I'm concerned about the tight space and the challenges of having to break a bearing free in that tight space. Don't really want to get started and realize I'm going to have to jack up the motor or ruin the pully and clutch to get it off the shaft. tx.
Old 03-29-22, 10:34 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelsons
Hi PoorES - very useful post - Thanks. I saw that you suggested changing out AC clutch bearing. I recently changed the belt and the idler and tensioner pulleys. While the belt was off I found too much play in the AC clutch pulley, so I expect the bearing is nearly done. I wonder if you have replaced this bearing, or have any video links on DIY on an ES 350. Very little room in that area. Mine is a 2008 with 240KK's. Tx
Ya, It seems straight forward enough in many cases - when you can use tools to help you. I'm concerned about the tight space and the challenges of having to break a bearing free in that tight space. Don't really want to get started and realize I'm going to have to jack up the motor or ruin the pully and clutch to get it off the shaft. tx.
I looked back through the thread and didn't see a mention of the AC clutch bearing. Did you mix that up with the Alternator bearing in PoorES's post? AC clutches are rarely replaced by mechanics, nowadays most shops replace the whole compressor as it's more cost effective and reliable for the customer. I could be wrong, but I think you'll have a hard time finding bearings for the AC clutch.
Old 03-30-22, 06:47 AM
Nelsons
Driver School Candidate

Hayk, you're correct, I did misread the post - sorry for the confusion. Now I think, I probably have a bigger problem. I had an a/c clutch problem on an Infinity in my past, that I was able to ignore since I had moved to the cool West Coast. A bearing or a compressor change is another matter, unfortunately - probably $1k+ touch. Thanks for your keen attention and feedback. Cheers!
Old 03-30-22, 06:53 AM
Nelsons
Driver School Candidate

Hayk, you're correct, I did misread the post - sorry for the confusion. Now I think, I probably have a bigger problem. I had an a/c clutch problem on an Infinity in my past, that I was able to ignore since I had moved to the cool West Coast. An a/c bearing or a compressor change is another matter, unfortunately - probably $1k+ touch. Thanks for your keen attention and feedback. Cheers!
Old 03-30-22, 02:37 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Hayk, you're correct, I did misread the post - sorry for the confusion. Now I think, I probably have a bigger problem. I had an a/c clutch problem on an Infinity in my past, that I was able to ignore since I had moved to the cool West Coast. An a/c bearing or a compressor change is another matter, unfortunately - probably $1k+ touch. Thanks for your keen attention and feedback. Cheers!
No worries, not for nothing I noticed a similar issue when I did my serpentine belt, idler pulleys, and tension pulley to try to find the source of the whining noise on cold starts. I spun all the pulleys by hand and found the A/C compressor the only one with some free play. So I wonder if that's the same movement you noticed. I decided to leave it alone as it's a very big job as you mentioned and is not guaranteed to be the source of my issue. My next step is to run the engine without the belt to see if the noise is still there without any accessories running. If the noise goes away without the belt, I may take it to the dealer for a 2nd opinion.
Old 04-02-22, 04:51 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Truong714
Hello gentlemen, how have you been? Looking back at my old post to refresh on the water pump for 2011 Lexus ES 350. This time I bought Aisin kit from Rock Auto which is a little bit cheaper. The car is 2000 miles shy from 200K miles total. Car ran smoothly with no leaks but preventative maintenance, I will perform the same job I did about 5 years ago. I have gain a lot of skill beside working my day job as Resp therapist… I feel pretty confident this time. Let me know
Aisin makes OEM water pump, so, you’re getting same quality. If I did my math right, you have 74K on your OEM/Aisin replacement pump. My OEM went just over 200K, so I think your current pump should be good for at least another 50K. And my OEM pump was still good; I replaced it as preventive maintenance also. I would replace the coolant, belt, and check the bearings in all the pulleys for play and replace accordingly.