ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Getting a little worried

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-16, 09:23 AM
redeldo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a little worried

Hi everyone and a good afternoon to all!

We have an 07 Lexus ES that has been a pretty darn good car. It has 66,000 miles on it and the only problem has been the oil hose leak that drained the engine. Had it repaired at local Toyota for about $185 as it was 60+ miles to the Lexus dealer. Thought about asking Lexus to reimburse.

Been thinking of trading it in on a 2016 pickup (to replace an older Dakota) as I am getting worried that it is going to cost some big bucks for repairs that I have read about on this forum (transmission fluid change, passenger window, sticky dashboard, brakes, airbag recall, etc). It is going to need tires soon but is in very good condition overall.

What does anyone think of going ahead and trade to avoid future repairs/problems, or just keep the car and keep my fingers crossed? To me it is still a good looking car, drives good, rides good, excellent power, comfortable, and rather sexy.

Thanks for any and all opinions as you all have more experience with Lexus than I do.

redeldo
07 Lexus ES
04 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
01 Dodge Dakota
Old 09-05-16, 06:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

At 66,000 you shouldn't have any major repairs. brakes and tires are something you'd replace on any car. The window is a rare occur, and the dashboard is covered under warranty as is the airbaG. The transmission flush isn't due until 100k, and even then is only a few hundred bucks. All in all, these things would add up to be less than a one year of car payments. The only reason you should consider getting rid of the car is if you really need a new pickup. Otherwise running costs shouldn't be a huge concern with this car.
Old 09-05-16, 11:15 PM
voodooskin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, unless you're like me with my 80,000 mile regularly maintained but now out of warranty ES350 that is now leaking visible oil from the passenger side engine area. It goes in Weds for a diagnosis. Keep in mind if we get it fixed, there is still no current fix for the passenger side airbag recall, with Lexus stating that nobody should be using that seat until some future fix comes out - whenever that is. Realistically this limits the car to errands in town and driving to/from work. At the cost point of this car this stuff should not be happening and Lexus should be making it right, but I guess I'll find out this week.

Attached Thumbnails Getting a little worried-oil_leak.jpg  
Old 09-06-16, 09:58 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redeldo
Hi everyone and a good afternoon to all!

We have an 07 Lexus ES that has been a pretty darn good car. It has 66,000 miles on it and the only problem has been the oil hose leak that drained the engine. Had it repaired at local Toyota for about $185 as it was 60+ miles to the Lexus dealer. Thought about asking Lexus to reimburse.

Been thinking of trading it in on a 2016 pickup (to replace an older Dakota) as I am getting worried that it is going to cost some big bucks for repairs that I have read about on this forum (transmission fluid change, passenger window, sticky dashboard, brakes, airbag recall, etc). It is going to need tires soon but is in very good condition overall.

What does anyone think of going ahead and trade to avoid future repairs/problems, or just keep the car and keep my fingers crossed? To me it is still a good looking car, drives good, rides good, excellent power, comfortable, and rather sexy.

Thanks for any and all opinions as you all have more experience with Lexus than I do.
Regarding your fear of the passenger side window problem, I have created a very affordable solution for this available for ~$75 to Club Lexus members. Check it out at http://bluemooseengineering.com

Edit: members should PM me to purchase the discounted kit

I hope your window doesn't break, for your sake, but if it does, come on by and pick up my repair kit. I've been doing this for about a month and already have a lot of happy customers who have saved a lot of money and aggravation.