ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Door Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 03:27 AM
mahdeen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Replacement Options

Hi all, first time posting here.....thanks in advance for any direction or help.
So not long ago the wife and kid were backing out of the garage and left the rear driver side door open. You know what happened next, the open door collided with a structural column and was pretty much destroyed. Door still opens and closes but the impact was such that the door is just not repairable according to 3 shops we took it to for repair quotes. It has occurred to me that the door could be just swapped out, if I could find the door in the right color and could be assured the door is fully functional. Only problem with this is finding a door to purchase, can't seem to locate one so I decided to try here. Anyone have any ideas how and where we could lay our hands on one please?
Old 01-31-17, 06:17 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Well if this were an alternator or something I would say go to the wreckers but usually the wreckers are full of cars with body damage so maybe not

I'm going to imagine this is not going to be a simple door swap. You are most likely to have to have problems with the frame and hardware the door attaches too. It doesn't take much to knock that stuff out of alignment. Did the body shops not give you an option on getting a new door?

Also can you post the year of your car?
Old 01-31-17, 11:03 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,167 Likes on 995 Posts

Call these guys http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/

I would look for a used door, then get a body shop to install it and repair any door frame damage. They may have to swap over your interior panels etc.

Also lots of used doors on eBay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...door+&_sacat=0
Old 01-31-17, 04:33 PM
mahdeen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies and info....Its a 2012 Lexus 350.....
We've not obtained any quotes from the shops we contacted for anything other than a used replacement, painted to match existing, no new door.
Prices included hardware and according to what we know currently there was no damage to the frame, just the door and mounting hardware.
Once place wanted $2,800 to replace with used, paint and finish to match including the driver's door and front and back quarter panels.
I'm thinking we could do better, but I'm being careful, don't want to wind up with some butcher job just to save a few bucks.
Old 02-01-17, 07:22 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,167 Likes on 995 Posts

Quote sounds about right since it includes refinishing and matching the front and rear quarter panels and both doors. You really want to paint and blend the entire side so the repaint will not be detected.
The used door cost is the least of your expenses. You may get it down a few hundred elsewhere, but you want a place that is great at matching the paint.
If you are lucky enough to find a used door in your color, maybe you could pay someone to just install the door if no other painting is needed.
Old 02-01-17, 06:19 PM
mahdeen
Driver School Candidate

yeah....matching the color properly is high on the list of priorities....now that I'm thinking of it again, the shop quoting us that number called back a few days later and offered to do the job for $2,400....if it wasn't for the time element I'd buy the dang used door and install it myself, then take it to the paint shop..time to do projects is in short supply