New Alternator - $1300

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 10:27 AM
kaydeee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Alternator - $1300

Hey Guys,
I just got an estimate from my local Lexus dealership to replace the Alternator and belt for $1300 including taxes which are 13%. $550 for new Alternator from Toyota and rest is labour. Shall I go ahead with it or is it too high.I know I can save some if I get it done from some place else but is it worth the risk.
Old 02-14-17, 11:02 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a rebuild alternator with labor for 500.00can from a private mechanic. My OEM alternator wasn't broke, but a grinding noise was emetting.
The following users liked this post:
kaydeee (02-15-17)
Old 02-14-17, 11:53 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Good rebuilt one is as good as new for less. Replacing alternator can be a DIY job.
kaydeee (02-15-17)
Old 02-14-17, 01:43 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

If you are a DIY guy you can fix this for 150-200 bucks.
kaydeee (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 12:02 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

1300CAN is about 995US $$. Still mucho dinero for this job, imo. I paid about $170 for a remanufactured alt from Oreillys with a lifetime warranty. Installed it myself but it is not an easy alt to replace.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...regulator.html

What is wrong with it?
kaydeee (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 10:12 AM
kaydeee
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys, I had no choice but to take it to dealership as my mechanic gave up and didn't want to take a chance changing it. Maybe he is getting old to do the job. I didn't have anybody else that I know who I could trust right away. It hurts to dish out $1375 to be exact, they are also changing the belt in the price. I will get my car back today. When my battery died last week, all the lights came ON too including ABS. I got a call from my dealership today in the morning saying that ABS light is ON and if I want them to diagnose the problem. They told me it's going to be another $120 to see why it's ON. I told them that it came on only after the battery died, there is nothing wrong with it. They said ABS might need to be reprogrammed again. I declined it anyways.
What do you guys recommend if the light is still ON, Is it a big deal ?
Thanks for all the replies, I wish I had researched more before but everything happened so fast and I needed a car right away.
Old 02-15-17, 10:44 AM
kaydeee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
1300CAN is about 995US $$. Still mucho dinero for this job, imo. I paid about $170 for a remanufactured alt from Oreillys with a lifetime warranty. Installed it myself but it is not an easy alt to replace.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...regulator.html

What is wrong with it?
My battery which I got couple of years ago wasn't charging and my car stalled. It wouldn't even start with jump. I got a new battery from Costco as my old one was still under warranty. It started the car. Took it my mechanic who said it's the alternator as there is not enough voltage coming out but he chickened out and didn't want to replace it.
Old 02-15-17, 10:45 AM
kaydeee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
If you are a DIY guy you can fix this for 150-200 bucks.
I am DIY kind of guy but cars no
Old 02-16-17, 12:26 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I paid $850 to a local shop, book time was 5 hours if I recall. Alternator was $350.
Old 02-16-17, 02:37 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

i think it was 2 years ago december 2014 my alternator went out
i took it to the dealership they wanted like 1400 for the job
my service contract company had them use a aftermaket new alternator
i had like 109k on the car then now i have 169k and no issues.
i think the total bill was like 850 dollars and i paid 100 of that.

the only alternators i don't trust are Napa rebuilds
i had a lincoln i had that damm alternator replaced like 6 times in 3 months kept going bad then a year and half latter it went bad again evne though it was out of warranty the shop still took care of it for me for free because they realized it was napa rebuilds that where the problem
Old 02-17-17, 01:31 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by kaydeee
... When my battery died last week, all the lights came ON too including ABS. I got a call from my dealership today in the morning saying that ABS light is ON and if I want them to diagnose the problem. They told me it's going to be another $120 to see why it's ON. I told them that it came on only after the battery died, there is nothing wrong with it. They said ABS might need to be reprogrammed again. I declined it anyways.
What do you guys recommend if the light is still ON, Is it a big deal ?
Thanks for all the replies, I wish I had researched more before but everything happened so fast and I needed a car right away.
Have the dealer clear the codes. If a problem persists, a code(s) will appear again. If dealer wants more than $30 to clear the code, say forget it and buy yourself an ODBII code reader - most have the feature to clear out the codes. Then, buy yourself a voltage meter that plugs into the cig lighter. It should read 13.5 to 14.5 volts when running. When it falls below 13, you know the alt is starting to malfunction.
Old 02-24-18, 10:38 PM
eroncone
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer's shop price?

Originally Posted by mlacomb
I paid $850 to a local shop, book time was 5 hours if I recall. Alternator was $350.
Was that a Lexus/Toyota dealer's shop price?

Where in Ohio exactly?
Old 02-27-18, 06:24 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

I would be careful with rebuilt. A lot of junk out there that will die in 1-2 years. My father had his done twice at sears auto, and each failed in little over a year, until he had it done at toyota dealer. If you going to put after market, I would make sure its good quality And NOT rebuilt
Old 02-28-18, 04:06 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't trust rebuild or reman alternators
back when I had my Lincoln in the late 90s I had the alternator replaced with a remained one the shop used a napa rebuild 3 months latter I was on a road trip it failed the shop paid the other shop where I was to replace it for labor and just go back to napa for a warranty on the part itself so they got another rebuild from napa when I was out of town and 4 months latter when I was home that one went out.
they then put another rebuild in but not from Napa this time they went to Murray auto parts
that one lasted about a year and half went out and after that the shop didn't tell me it was out of warranty they went and got an OEM alternator form the Dealership and put it in and drove for like 4 years until I traded the car without any issues.
I knew the owner of that shop when I lived in Ohio and he told me last time I spoke with him that he has never used a remaned or rebuilt alternator since my issues.