ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Water Pump Change Interval

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 09:14 PM
aaddpp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Change Interval

Working on a 2009 ES350 with 135K miles.

Not the first owner, but I'd say its likely the car is running the original water pump. There's a cricket in the serp-belt, but can't say for sure its from the WP. Was wondering if theres a recommend change interval for the WP / if you'd change preemptively at this milage.

Should add that the coolant has been drained (radiator and block).

Thanks - Dave

Last edited by aaddpp; 10-25-17 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 09:22 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

when its leaking or something is wrong with it is the time to change it
there is no speicfic time frame on changing the water pump.
my 07 had a leaking water pump at 70k so thats when it was changed now its got 187k and w/p is still going strong iwth 110k on it.
Old 10-27-17, 12:44 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
when its leaking or something is wrong with it is the time to change it
there is no speicfic time frame on changing the water pump.
my 07 had a leaking water pump at 70k so thats when it was changed now its got 187k and w/p is still going strong iwth 110k on it.
If I may ask; what year model of the ES-5th Gen did Lexus get over the water pump problems...?
Old 10-27-17, 06:16 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by hisstojay
If I may ask; what year model of the ES-5th Gen did Lexus get over the water pump problems...?
I do not have the answer that that?
BUt the water pump problem from my understanding is not as big as some people make it out to sound like it is.
When you think about it you could probably go back through the forums and read several several people that had had water pump issues in there 5th Gen ES350 models however people don't come onto help forums usually to post when they don't have problems so if you say 100 people posted problems that can look scary because 100 people is alot but out of how many 100,000 of thousands of the 5th Gen vehicle where built.

I think someone posted earlier this summer that they had there 07 ES350 with over 200k on the original water pump.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (10-27-17)
Old 10-28-17, 09:48 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I just had the coolant changed in my 2012 with 35K on the clock. Six years is a long time for coolant and I suspect that old coolant is not very good for water pumps!
Old 10-29-17, 04:03 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

March 2009
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (10-29-17)
Old 10-29-17, 07:28 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

I get my Coolant changed every 3 years regardless of anything else thats an average of 70,000-80,000 miles
Old 10-29-17, 08:06 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
I get my Coolant changed every 3 years regardless of anything else thats an average of 70,000-80,000 miles

Good move on your part. Not that expensive, is it?
Old 11-20-17, 06:00 PM
nguyent8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my 2008 car's original water pump + drive belt replaced today for $ 1100 after tax. My car has about 107K miles on it.
There has been some squeaking noise in the past few weeks but I didn't notice any coolant leak. Didn't have time to bring it to dealer. Yesterday morning I found a lot of coolant on my garage floor. By end of day, the whole reservoir was empty. I tried to put some distilled water in it and saw only very small leak so decided to start it and drive to my dealer. After few miles, the temp gauge jump over the mid point so I pulled over immediately and smoke came off. I was very nervous at that point. Called a tow truck to get to the dealer. But luckily my dealer didn't find any problem other than the water pump. I replaced the drive belt as a preventive thing.

Learn from my lesson. Don't try to drive a leaky car. Just tow it. You never know what would happen.
Few months ago, when my car had 100K miles, I asked my dealer if I should replace the water pump. They told me not to worry about it until it start leaking.

Interestingly two Toyota dealers quoted higher price than the Lexus dealer. ($ 1100 at Lexus vs. $ 1550 at Toyota places).
Old 11-20-17, 10:51 PM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nguyent8
.....I was very nervous at that point. Called a tow truck to get to the dealer. But luckily my dealer didn't find any problem other than the water pump. I replaced the drive belt as a preventive thing.

Learn from my lesson. Don't try to drive a leaky car. Just tow it. You never know what would happen.
Few months ago, when my car had 100K miles, I asked my dealer if I should replace the water pump. They told me not to worry about it until it start leaking.....
Congrats that your engine was not damaged
Old 11-21-17, 06:19 PM
nguyent8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Congrats that your engine was not damaged
Thank. It's back to normal, no strange noise from engine bay
Old 11-22-17, 10:58 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 199 Posts

200K+ on our OEM water pump in wife's ES350. And running universal coolant, not corporate coolant. On third coolant change. I do want to replace the WP as preventive maintenance sooner than later. I hear it's a PIA to do as a DIY. For now, I stay on top of it by checking the weep hole after the oil changes.
Old 11-22-17, 11:36 PM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
200K+ on our OEM water pump in wife's ES350. And running universal coolant, not corporate coolant. On third coolant change. I do want to replace the WP as preventive maintenance sooner than later. I hear it's a PIA to do as a DIY. For now, I stay on top of it by checking the weep hole after the oil changes.
It's so great and exciting to hear yours attains up to 200K on OEM water pump!!! Keep an eye on it.
I hope more people can post more of this other than when there's a problem....
Old 09-23-18, 10:47 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 199 Posts

Finally got around to replacing the water pump. Took me almost 8 hours but I went slow and did a lot of engine cleaning. Also lost over an hour running around town looking for two bearings to replace the ones in the tensioner pulley - that's right, the OEM tensioner pulley has two bearings pressed in together, size 12mm wide X 40mm dia X 17mm ID.

The water pump in the car was OEM with 218980 miles. The bearing had a little play and the weep hole had an oil residue; despite no bearing noises and no coolant loss, it was time to replace as preventive maintenance. The inside looked great - nice and shiny with no particulate matter or accumulated sediment. Proof, to me, universal coolant is doing its job - did a coolant flush and replaced with new batch of SuperTech anti-freeze, about a 55/45 mix, as before. The main motivation is because we are selling the car to our daughter's BF and don't want the car breaking down on him too soon. I'm even going to do an ATF flush for him.
Old 10-09-18, 09:18 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Not sure if this holds true with Lexus but I had the first SE Camry that my dealer had back in 2007. My water pump went with under 20k on it and it was common with the 6th gen Camrys. Turns out this was the first year Toyota was rolling out the new eco friendly pink antifreeze instead of the classic red coolant. Turns out the pink stuff ate right through the rubber in the water pumps causing pretty much all of them all to fail eventually on the early 2007 Camrys.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Change Interval