ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Anyone upgrade their halogen headlights to LED?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 12:02 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone upgrade their halogen headlights to LED?

I've been looking for a simple do-it-yourself upgrade to the halogen headlights that I've always found too dim on my 2007 and 2009 ES350.

Has anyone had success with LED retrofit upgrade kits to the halogen headlights? I thought I had read about some compatibility issue a year ago that prevented me from getting them, but I'm not sure what that was anymore.
Old 11-03-17, 01:57 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

We have a 2007 Lexus ES350 HID Kit and 2007 Lexus ES350 LED Kit that you might be interested in. The 2009's also used an H7 bulb for the halogen Low Beam Headlights, so the same kit would work for both. The only thing you might want to check out is whether or not your Low Beams use an additional clip or adaptor to help lock the bulbs in place. We have some of those H7 Bulb Adaptors, but it is best to compare against your stock setup to confirm whether you need anything additional. If you need one, you might need to modify it in order to fit with an aftermarket LED, since those adaptors are typically sized for HID bulbs.

Hope this helps,

~Robert
Old 11-06-17, 11:27 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
We have a 2007 Lexus ES350 HID Kit and 2007 Lexus ES350 LED Kit that you might be interested in. The 2009's also used an H7 bulb for the halogen Low Beam Headlights, so the same kit would work for both. The only thing you might want to check out is whether or not your Low Beams use an additional clip or adaptor to help lock the bulbs in place. We have some of those H7 Bulb Adaptors, but it is best to compare against your stock setup to confirm whether you need anything additional. If you need one, you might need to modify it in order to fit with an aftermarket LED, since those adaptors are typically sized for HID bulbs.

Hope this helps,

~Robert
Shouldn't all 5th gen 2007-2012 use the same halogen headlight setup? Or can it even vary within the same model year whether an additional clip or adapter is used?

I'm hoping for a plug-and-play LED upgrade kit that doesn't require modifying anything myself to fit.
Old 11-07-17, 07:27 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kreativ
Shouldn't all 5th gen 2007-2012 use the same halogen headlight setup? Or can it even vary within the same model year whether an additional clip or adapter is used?

I'm hoping for a plug-and-play LED upgrade kit that doesn't require modifying anything myself to fit.
Both the 2007 and 2009 ES350 use H7 halogen bulbs for the low beams as long as it's not HID. I would still recommend checking to see if your vehicle uses an H7 bulb adaptor or not but from this 2007 Lexus ES350 HID Kit review, I don't think it does.

Danny
Old 11-08-17, 01:56 PM
es350chuck
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

They have plug and play led kits. I'm using H11 and haven't looked back since the conversion.
Old 11-08-17, 01:58 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by es350chuck
They have plug and play led kits. I'm using H11 and haven't looked back since the conversion.
LED kits will work as well, just depends on how much more brightness you are looking for. For example, our Xtreme LED Pro kit is rated at 1750 stable lumens while an HID kit with a 4300K bulb would be rated at 3200 lumens.

Danny
Old 10-31-20, 10:06 PM
RachSnyder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a link to the kit you used?
Old 11-01-20, 01:59 AM
98sscamaro
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

As with what was posted above if you want a lot more brightness go with HID over LED. In my opinion the LED kits are still too dim for headlights.
Old 11-10-20, 12:06 PM
tyue
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also interested in converting my Halogen H7 bulbs to LED. Any LED recommendation is much appreciated. Thx!
Old 11-12-20, 05:07 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,210 Likes on 1,034 Posts

HID will be brighter than LED. The reflectors in the ES headlamps are not designed for LED. They may look brighter when you stand in front of them, but for driving the HID will give you longer distance brighter vision. It is all about how the bulbs direct light into the headlight housing and it gets reflected down the road.

I have bought HID bulbs here. Once you enter your year make and model and headlight type such as halogen, it will show all bulbs including HID upgrade kits and LED kits

https://www.hidconcept.com/?gclid=Cj...xoCKd8QAvD_BwE

Look at this

https://www.xenondepot.com/2007-lexu...HID-kit-review

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-12-20 at 05:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tyue (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 07:16 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a BNIB quality 35W HID kit for sale if anyone interested, Slim ballast, H11b, 5500 kelvins, Morimoto bulbs
Old 11-12-20, 09:18 AM
tyue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
HID will be brighter than LED. The reflectors in the ES headlamps are not designed for LED. They may look brighter when you stand in front of them, but for driving the HID will give you longer distance brighter vision. It is all about how the bulbs direct light into the headlight housing and it gets reflected down the road.

I have bought HID bulbs here. Once you enter your year make and model and headlight type such as halogen, it will show all bulbs including HID upgrade kits and LED kits

https://www.hidconcept.com/?gclid=Cj...xoCKd8QAvD_BwE

Look at this

https://www.xenondepot.com/2007-lexu...HID-kit-review
Thank you.
I guess the 2009 ES350 lowbeam is not a reflector, it is a projector type?
The HID are out of stock there.

Old 11-12-20, 11:55 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,210 Likes on 1,034 Posts

https://www.xenondepot.com/buyer-gui...gen_Headlights
The following users liked this post:
tyue (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 05:28 AM
jeremy93ls
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello, all. I spent hours yesterday replacing the H7 halogen low beam bulbs in our 2009. I had purchased Hikari 'Eye of Megatron' 12000lm 6K kit but plan to swap the halogens back in this morning...

After installation and aligning them the recommended way (LEDs facing left/right at 9:00/3:00) and fighting with the frustrating wire clamp that holds the bulb in place, the light output was disappointing. I spent way too much time adjusting the beam up/down in an attempt to get a good pattern, but one light pointed to the ground way too far left and the other pointed way too far up and right. Apparently, the halogen-style headlight housings cannot be adjusted left/right, only up/down. After settling on a beam pattern, I took it out on a back road for a test. It was terrible. Without the fog lights on, it was unsafe to drive in the dark.

I read in another thread that LEDs were not good in projector style headlights, so I'm betting that's the main problem. During installation yesterday, I broke off part of the housing that the bottom wire clip snaps into, also. I hope I can get the halogen bulb secured back in there. For the record, I hate those wire clips that hold headlight bulbs in. Always have. All in all, it was a waste of more than half a day. Our next car will have HID lamps like my RX has.

Just my experience. Your mileage may vary ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by jeremy93ls:
tyue (11-23-20), Wilson2000 (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 07:17 AM
tyue
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for sharing your experience. I read bits and pieces of information like your experience from internet, never took them too serious. I will leave the halogen bulb there, or get myself a HID bulb when they are available. Once again, thank you for your information.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade their halogen headlights to LED?