ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

P0031 A/F ration Sensor Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 04:41 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default P0031 A/F ration Sensor Bank 1

So I just picked up my 07 ES350 from the dealership today from having the trans replaced
now there is a P0031 Bank 1 A/F heater control circuit low
I forget weather this is Left or Right
I think its Left and its DownStream is this correct?

just last year in may I had the Bank 1 Manifold replaced to replace the catalytic converter for bank one and I remember I ordered the part from Lexus IN Warwick road island
and it came with both LH and RH A/F sensors I thought it was a mistake but I called them and they said those come in the kit.
Ok so great awesome I had those replaced when I had the other work done last year
now the A/F sensor for bank 1 is bad and the Lexus dealership here in salt lake city says that that does not come with sensors so since all I have is the invoice for the manifold to be replaced and don't have any sensor son the invoice they won't replace the bad part for me unless I can show
so until I get ahold of someone tomorrow at the other Lexus dealer and find out whats going on
I am trying to just see how much it could cost to repalace. however i don'tknow what sensor i would want to price out
do i need the Left or Right side for bank 1
I think its the Left side but im not possitive
thank you
Old 01-25-18, 04:56 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 973 Likes on 733 Posts

Check the wiring harness. Maybe they ****ed up something.
Old 01-25-18, 05:00 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Check the wiring harness. Maybe they ****ed up something.
I asked him the service manager when i picked it up he said that he had his guy check the plug make sure it was plugged in properly
he even rememerbed it was the same one that i came in with last year when i brought the manifold to be replaced
i think its this part number
  • 89467-33130
  • and that would be the right side for bank 1
Old 01-25-18, 05:04 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Yes, that’s the front one, it goes next to the alternator

double check the wiring harness, the connector goes overnthe tranny. That’s the place where they did a lotta work.
Old 01-25-18, 05:05 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Yes, that’s the front one, it goes next to the alternator

double check the wiring harness, the connector goes over the tranny. That’s the place where they did a lotta work.
is the harness hard to get to
i need to remove the engine covers compartment covers? and look down on the passenger side of the engine to see the harness?

do you have a picture of what i could look for ?
Old 01-25-18, 05:17 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

As you can see the cable goes from the arrow 1, nex to the coolant tube and the connector is located under the vacuum valve, under the arrow 2.

It’s easy to get to that connector, just follow those 4 wires from the O2.
Old 01-25-18, 05:23 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

that pciture is with the engien cover removed is it the drivers side of the engine or the passenger side of the engine compartment? i will have to wiat till daylight inthe mornign to go out and look its dark alreayd here at 6:20pm
Old 01-25-18, 05:26 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

also i cleared the code and it comes back on withing like 20 seconds of it being cleared and the lights go it then it pops right back up and lights come right back on
this happen like 5 times i tried to clear it
Old 01-25-18, 06:40 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Mechanics logic says if you didn't go into the dealers with the problem and they did major work and now you have a problem , they screwed up and won't own up to it. Time to see the GM
Old 01-25-18, 07:15 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Mechanics logic says if you didn't go into the dealers with the problem and they did major work and now you have a problem , they screwed up and won't own up to it. Time to see the GM
I understand what your saying.
and i will go back in and ask them tomorrow to take a better look
i try not to burn bridges at this dealership because the person ideal with his a good person there he always takes care of me and treats me fair he has never purposely done anything to rip me off
not all dealerships are like that some are but some aren't.

I asked him if he checked the plugs he said he has his tech check to make sure it was plugged in
i will ask him to check the wiring harness and see if that's the problem.

I also have the older A/F sensor for bank 1 the one that was replaced back in may last year only because the manifold had new sensors in the box
so if worst comes to worst i will ask them to change it out if the same **** happens then they will know that its a wired issue or if it doesn't then it will mean that the part itself failed.

i have been to 2 dealerships in the past 5 years that i wouldn't trust to treat me right
and i have this dealership that has never done me wrong.
the service advisor always gives me discounts on stuff even when i bring my own parts in he always treats me fair so i dont think he is out to screw me.
but i can understand that tech may have screwed up
Old 01-26-18, 01:43 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
also i cleared the code and it comes back on withing like 20 seconds of it being cleared and the lights go it then it pops right back up and lights come right back on
this happen like 5 times i tried to clear it

I still believe that sensor is not connected.

You don’t have to remove anything to check that connector.
Old 01-26-18, 05:45 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

P0031 = Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Bank 1 is the engine side closer to firewall, the photo posted above is for B2S1. The B1S1 A/F sensor connector is close to the coil #5 near the throttle body (roughly in the middle of the car). You could reach it from the top and use the flashlight to check if it is connected. I would also do a push-pull check on the connector, it could be connected but not locked in. I would also check visually if you can see any pinches or kinks in the wires, I could see this sensor from the top when I did the plugs replacement...
Old 01-26-18, 05:54 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

As you can see the cable goes from the arrow 1, nex to the coolant tube and the connector is located under the vacuum valve, under the arrow 2.

It’s easy to get to that connector, just follow those 4 wires from the O2.
This is Bank 2 Sensor 1 , the P0031 is Bank 1 Sensor 1...
Old 01-26-18, 08:56 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Sorry. I thought it is bank 2.

So the bank 1 connector is under the throttle body. Remove the silver cover.
Old 01-26-18, 10:35 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

everything looked ok i didnt see any twisted or kinked up wires and it wasn't anything loose.
I called the Dealership in RI where i got the Bank 1 Manifold last year and i remember it came with both A/F Sensors for both banks the dealership here said that they dont but i called the one i got mine from they spoke with the dealership here and after the parts deparment guy here talked to like another dealership and the guy where the parts come from he was able to confirm that the part number i ordered for the manifold does come with A/F sensor and now they have ordered a new sensor under warrnaty and will get it fixed

Quick Reply: P0031 A/F ration Sensor Bank 1