ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Radio is disconnected after battery was unplugged and plugged in

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 06:49 AM
Hiep25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio is disconnected after battery was unplugged and plugged in

Hey so I have a problem, I unplugged my battery and plugged it back in then my radio is off also my lights in the car are off too. I need help trying to fix this problem please give me your thoughts of what I should do.

Old 03-10-18, 08:26 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiep25
Hey so I have a problem, I unplugged my battery and plugged it back in then my radio is off also my lights in the car are off too. I need help trying to fix this problem please give me your thoughts of what I should do.

Do we assume you didn't cross up the positive or negative side of the battery even for a second. Also have you checked the fuses. Does the car start and do the other electrical features work.
Old 03-10-18, 10:03 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

I would check the fuses.
Old 03-10-18, 10:31 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had this issue on my RCF 3 times, the battery died, I charged it and the radio would not come back. The first time I towed it to the dealer, they disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes, reconnected it and everything came back, they didn't even move the car out of the service aisle or write a ticket up on it.

the next 2 times it happened I simply pulled the negative battery cable for 10+ minutes and then reconnected.. I guess there is some residual power somewhere that borks things up if it isn't enough voltage.

Lexus replaced my battery under warranty after the third time the battery died, and I haven't had an issue since, I never did figure out what was causing the power drain.
Old 03-10-18, 12:07 PM
Hiep25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Do we assume you didn't cross up the positive or negative side of the battery even for a second. Also have you checked the fuses. Does the car start and do the other electrical features work.
I didn’t cross the pos or neg of the battery for sure and I checked all fuses and there good and car starts and drives well. Also I unplugged the negative side of battery to see if I can reset the ecu and still the same outcome. I just don’t want to bring my car into the dealer and they charge me labor for something I could of have done.
Old 03-10-18, 12:10 PM
Hiep25
Driver School Candidate

I didn’t cross the pos or neg of the battery for sure and I checked all fuses and there good and car starts and drives well. Also I unplugged the negative side of battery to see if I can reset the ecu and still the same outcome. I just don’t want to bring my car into the dealer and they charge me labor for something I could of have done.
And every time I turn the car off and on the time in my car always resets too and my dome lights don’t turn on neither.
Old 03-10-18, 06:13 PM
jagtoes
Racer

All we can do is guess and as we see you are providing more information. Unfortunately this appears to be an electrical issue that may require dealer diagnostics . You are seeing random glitches so until there is a pattern of failures that can be traced to specific circuits it will be hard to guess what to attack. For all we know it could be a rodent problem .
Old 03-10-18, 10:24 PM
Cjet
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

And every time I turn the car off and on the time in my car always resets too and my dome lights don’t turn on neither.
Did you check BOTH fuse box locations? One under steering wheel, other in engine compartment?
Old 03-11-18, 09:03 AM
Hiep25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cjet
Did you check BOTH fuse box locations? One under steering wheel, other in engine compartment?
yes I did all the fuses is good. I just don’t want the dealer to charge me an arm and leg for something I could have done for free. Could it be bc of the battery is dying?
Old 03-11-18, 10:51 AM
jagtoes
Racer

yes I did all the fuses is good. I just don’t want the dealer to charge me an arm and leg for something I could have done for free. Could it be bc of the battery is dying?
Well here is another issue you bought into the conversation. So the question is what is the voltage at the battery without the car running and sitting for at least an hour. If it is lower then 12.6 volts then you need to either charge it and see if it holds a charge or you need a new battery. Because different items work sometimes and not other times indicates that the fuses are OK but also indicates some electrical issues. What happened before all of these issues started.
Old 03-11-18, 09:01 PM
Hiep25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Well here is another issue you bought into the conversation. So the question is what is the voltage at the battery without the car running and sitting for at least an hour. If it is lower then 12.6 volts then you need to either charge it and see if it holds a charge or you need a new battery. Because different items work sometimes and not other times indicates that the fuses are OK but also indicates some electrical issues. What happened before all of these issues started.
there was a snow storm a few days ago and was trying to get up the hill to my house but I couldn’t (didn’t have snow tires) then the Traction control light came on and on the screen it says “Check VSC” so I unplugged my neg battery to see if it reset but then that’s when my radio didn’t work
Old 03-12-18, 05:58 AM
jagtoes
Racer

there was a snow storm a few days ago and was trying to get up the hill to my house but I couldn’t (didn’t have snow tires) then the Traction control light came on and on the screen it says “Check VSC” so I unplugged my neg battery to see if it reset but then that’s when my radio didn’t work
OK so do you have a volt meter so you can measure the battery voltage.