qmanman
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nav is worthless. Your phone has nav.
Old 12-11-21, 06:54 PM
rickster9
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The screen is nice for the radio, backup and the "aesthetic" of seeing the map as the navigation is moot by now.

That being said there is no reason to disagree with the guy that doesn't like screens. He has some valid points.

And keep dreaming, one day you may have a 2022 head unit in your 08.
Old 12-12-21, 10:24 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I like the NAV, allows me to keep hands on the wheel, and head up, phone down. backup camera nice too.
Old 12-14-21, 02:41 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

The advantage of a nav screen was back in the early 2000’s it was very convenient. When I was shopping for my gen5 I was purposely looking for a non nav so I could of upgraded to a CarPlay ready aftermarket Kenwood in dash unit.

I found a gps equipped model and I was fine with it. The gps package is also packaged with the hids instead of halogen headlights. You also get the oem backup camera, and the screen is just prettier. If you get a pre face lifted version Bluetooth works well but only for phone calls not for streaming music. The OEM hids are so good that it was worth it for me but technology wise I would of been way happier with a kenwood media player with a aftermarket backup camera.

Last edited by ellocovg; 12-14-21 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-20-21, 06:09 AM
rickster9
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
The advantage of a nav screen was back in the early 2000’s it was very convenient. When I was shopping for my gen5 I was purposely looking for a non nav so I could of upgraded to a CarPlay ready aftermarket Kenwood in dash unit.

I found a gps equipped model and I was fine with it. The gps package is also packaged with the hids instead of halogen headlights. You also get the oem backup camera, and the screen is just prettier. If you get a pre face lifted version Bluetooth works well but only for phone calls not for streaming music. The OEM hids are so good that it was worth it for me but technology wise I would of been way happier with a kenwood media player with a aftermarket backup camera.
I still use my garmin instead. Phone gets way too much use.
Old 01-10-22, 06:50 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
The car actually looks better without the screen. Any car does but I absolutely LOVE how this generation ES looks without the screen.

1) The ANNOYING disclaimer every time you start the car. A bunch of lawyers must have gotten together and came up with that idea a long time ago.

2) Fingerprints all over is disgusting.

3) Slower to respond than traditional hard buttons.

4) Have to tap the button just perfectly or nothing will happen. Could press a standard button in a variety of angles and it'll work instantly.

5) The navigation is a pain to operate and looks like crap.

6) The back-up camera is almost worthless. No distance markers or trajectory. Oh, I can see behind my car? Big freakin' deal. I've never used one and I have yet to hit anyone, and I put SERIOUS mileage on my cars.

7) Absolutely dumb that some climate control functions are done by the screen. Other manufacturers are worse by making you tap a screen many times just to adjust the climate.

8) Looks cleaner and is a lot easier to operate a set of buttons on an ES that does not have a screen. If you do need navigation, pull out your phone or a map. You could even do what I did and pull off at a gas station and ask for directions ala 1975 style!

Do I need to go on about screens?

I agree with everything he said here. I had the option of buying a 2010 ES with Nav and one without. I chose the one without the Nav. My reasons were exactly as he stated. I noticed that when pushing buttons on the Nav screen, I had tap 2 or 3 times to get a touch to register. That got really annoying fairly quickly.

Secondly, I prefer the instantaneous action that real buttons provide. One button does one thing rather than 10 other things.

Lastly, the non Nav set up just simply looks GORGEOUS to me. It has a simplified classier look in my opinion. For me, it was a no brained when it came to choosing between the two models.