ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Advantages of nav screen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 06:41 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Advantages of nav screen?

are there any advantages to a nav screen for the 08 350 if we do not need navigation?
Old 03-11-18, 08:56 PM
kodavis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The backup camera is very useful plus the ones with nav look a bit more modern imo.
The following users liked this post:
rickster9 (12-11-21)
Old 03-12-18, 06:02 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
are there any advantages to a nav screen for the 08 350 if we do not need navigation?
I guess I don't understand the question. If your car came with nav. you have what you have. The most useful part is the back up camera.
Old 03-12-18, 06:03 AM
heidihidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I guess I don't understand the question. If your car came with nav. you have what you have. The most useful part is the back up camera.
no it came without a screen but i was thinking of putting one in
i do not need navigation neither would i get the backup cam i am assuming? because the camera is not there (or can i)
what else would make a screen better?
Old 03-12-18, 06:17 AM
jagtoes
Racer

i do not need navigation neither would i get the backup cam i am assuming? because the camera is not there (or can i)
OK you just changed the conversation. There have been folks on this and other forms that have installed aftermarket infotainment systems as that is what you would need to do if you want an integrated back up system. A nav. system is usually built into these systems. If you want to do this you would need to find an audio shop who can do it but when you see the cost you may change your mind. Based on your posts I assume you don't have the capability to install it yourself .
The following users liked this post:
rickster9 (12-11-21)
Old 03-12-18, 07:33 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by jagtoes
OK you just changed the conversation. There have been folks on this and other forms that have installed aftermarket infotainment systems as that is what you would need to do if you want an integrated back up system. A nav. system is usually built into these systems. If you want to do this you would need to find an audio shop who can do it but when you see the cost you may change your mind. Based on your posts I assume you don't have the capability to install it yourself .
i was just thinking of buying a used nav unit on ebay and i'm sure i can swap it but what besides touchscreen capability will i gain?
for example i am guessing something like maybe rain sensing wipers, wiper defrost are all functions hidden within touchscreen command menu
will i get access to any of them just by installing the nav unit?
also what does it take to get park assist and bsm added to an 08 that doesn't have it?
Old 03-13-18, 06:23 AM
jagtoes
Racer

i was just thinking of buying a used nav unit on ebay and i'm sure i can swap it but what besides touchscreen capability will i gain?
for example i am guessing something like maybe rain sensing wipers, wiper defrost are all functions hidden within touchscreen command menu
will i get access to any of them just by installing the nav unit?
also what does it take to get park assist and bsm added to an 08 that doesn't have it?
OK you just opened up a new conversation. Hopefully others will chime in but to say just buying a unit on ebay is over simplification of getting it installed. Also some of the features you are discussing are already in the car without the need of the nav unit. The part I'm not familiar with is whether the car is wired to accept a nav infotainment unit. Just curious to know why you didn't consider all of this prior to buying and find a car with these options.
Old 07-21-21, 08:22 AM
Tonyking21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you looking to sell your stock screen???
Old 07-21-21, 09:37 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

The car actually looks better without the screen. Any car does but I absolutely LOVE how this generation ES looks without the screen.

1) The ANNOYING disclaimer every time you start the car. A bunch of lawyers must have gotten together and came up with that idea a long time ago.

2) Fingerprints all over is disgusting.

3) Slower to respond than traditional hard buttons.

4) Have to tap the button just perfectly or nothing will happen. Could press a standard button in a variety of angles and it'll work instantly.

5) The navigation is a pain to operate and looks like crap.

6) The back-up camera is almost worthless. No distance markers or trajectory. Oh, I can see behind my car? Big freakin' deal. I've never used one and I have yet to hit anyone, and I put SERIOUS mileage on my cars.

7) Absolutely dumb that some climate control functions are done by the screen. Other manufacturers are worse by making you tap a screen many times just to adjust the climate.

8) Looks cleaner and is a lot easier to operate a set of buttons on an ES that does not have a screen. If you do need navigation, pull out your phone or a map. You could even do what I did and pull off at a gas station and ask for directions ala 1975 style!

Do I need to go on about screens?
The following 3 users liked this post by xjokerz:
Jlacck (01-10-22), mrsteve7 (07-22-21), rickster9 (12-11-21)
Old 07-22-21, 12:00 PM
tronimrich
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I would refute everything the above poster said. I feel like the complete opposite

Also you get other features like service intervals you can set, and other preferences.
Old 07-22-21, 12:11 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by tronimrich
I would refute everything the above poster said. I feel like the complete opposite

Also you get other features like service intervals you can set, and other preferences.
Service intervals can be followed by your maintenance guide.
Old 07-23-21, 03:17 PM
tronimrich
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Gen 5 without screen

Gen 5 with screen

Not sure how the screen looks worse. I think it updates a very camry-ish infotainment.
Old 07-23-21, 05:19 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by tronimrich
Gen 5 without screen

Gen 5 with screen

Not sure how the screen looks worse. I think it updates a very camry-ish infotainment.
There are people out there who don't care for backup cameras, nav, etc. People who prefer hard buttons and that's it. Yeah the first picture may not look that good, but it looks 100 times better in real life. The screen would really start to show its age with the size and resolution, and actually has compared to other luxury cars. Without the screen you wouldn't have to worry.
Old 12-05-21, 06:18 AM
juanjo85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xjokerz
The car actually looks better without the screen. Any car does but I absolutely LOVE how this generation ES looks without the screen.

1) The ANNOYING disclaimer every time you start the car. A bunch of lawyers must have gotten together and came up with that idea a long time ago.

2) Fingerprints all over is disgusting.

3) Slower to respond than traditional hard buttons.

4) Have to tap the button just perfectly or nothing will happen. Could press a standard button in a variety of angles and it'll work instantly.

5) The navigation is a pain to operate and looks like crap.

6) The back-up camera is almost worthless. No distance markers or trajectory. Oh, I can see behind my car? Big freakin' deal. I've never used one and I have yet to hit anyone, and I put SERIOUS mileage on my cars.

7) Absolutely dumb that some climate control functions are done by the screen. Other manufacturers are worse by making you tap a screen many times just to adjust the climate.

8) Looks cleaner and is a lot easier to operate a set of buttons on an ES that does not have a screen. If you do need navigation, pull out your phone or a map. You could even do what I did and pull off at a gas station and ask for directions ala 1975 style!

Do I need to go on about screens?
veo que no tienes pantalla.....la envidia es muy mala....
Old 12-05-21, 02:52 PM
Davidli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tonyking21
are you looking to sell your stock screen???
Yes, i am looking to sell my stock one (non-navigation).
Do you wanna trade? Let's trade

Quick Reply: Advantages of nav screen?