ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Brake Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18 | 10:29 AM
yzshooter
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Rotor Question

Hi all. Been lurking and reading some here prior to joining. I have a 2010 ES I bought new and am in need of doing brakes on front and rear. I plan to order Akebono pads from Rockauto and have my rotors resurfaced. None of my pads have wore enough to gouge the rotors and none seem to pulse due to warpage. Now to the question: Are they generally enough material on these rotors to allow a resurface? I know there are lots of variables here but just like to know folks personal experiences. I have 100k miles on the car and have been amazed at how well the brakes have lasted.

Thanks, Al
Old 04-09-18 | 01:04 PM
bucfan22
Driver

i thought the oem rotors are around 60-$80 apiece. i would go with that or other after market rotors than paying around $20 to resurface each of those old rotor of 100k miles. Akebono pads are great.
Old 04-09-18 | 01:31 PM
yzshooter
Driver School Candidate

Bucfan,

Thanks for the reply. Your advise is correct and good but.....I can turn the rotors myself at a friends garage. The cost isn't the factor. In my past experiences with some aftermarket rotors is that they are at the minimum thickness when new. If I thought the OEM rotors would clean up above the min thickness, I'd rather have them on my car than something from China. Also there is the factor of the car being out of service while waiting on rotors I didn't think I'd need to order.
My original question still stands. Any idea from anyone who has miked an OEM rotor to see if it was "turn-able"?

TIA.....Al
Old 04-09-18 | 01:51 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Considering that the wear factor would be different for different cars your safest bet would be to pull a wheel and measure your thickness. Check for the low thickness and see if you can take a little off of the OEM rotors. At 100K miles I would replace them. Also i believe the Lexus rotors are made in china along with almost every other after market rotor. In fact I believe there may be only 1 or 2 rotor mfg's in the US. What you do find is that the rotor blanks are made in china and shipped here where the final cut is made and that the can state they are USA made. The other option would be to check the OEM's for flatness and if in spec just scuff up and do a pad slap.
Old 04-10-18 | 03:24 PM
Crazybrit
Rookie

I would never reservice rotors it makes them thinner then they don’t deal heat as well and will soon warp causing steering shake while braking
Here’s what I did to my car I just bought as with all my cars go on eBay and search cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads I just bought the whole set front and rear for $160 these type of rotors dissipate heat way faster than regular solid rotors and believe me your brakes feel way better and stop way better than when new.these type of rotor are directional they say on them what side they go on also your calipers are marked with L and R for right and left there very easy to install make sure you clean the hub surface and clean and re grease the caliper pins with brake grease enjoy
Old 04-17-18 | 08:08 AM
Citronlemo
Driver School Candidate

I no longer have the car but was repeatedly replacing the brakes rotors, brake pads and brakes themselves due to shaking when applying the brakes on my Lexus RX 350. Lexus was telling me that I was riding the brakes too hard and while I really liked the car, I ultimately I got rid of it due to expense and the hassle of having it repaired. I am once again seeking another car -- would love to get another Lexus. So i googled the issue, and discovered many, many others have experienced the same issue on this and other models and received the same reply. I am shocked to see that Lexus continues not to acknowledge and/or fix this issue. Wondering what can be done to light a fire under them?
Old 04-19-18 | 08:19 PM
daschwa
Driver School Candidate

First post here but familiar territory. My TSX had brake rotor problems, i.e. steering wheel wobble when applying brake pressure. I went through quite a process, had rotors cut to resolve the problem with Hawk HPS, then bought new (cheap rotors) used with Hawk HPS, then bought "premium" cheap rotors and GLoc / Carbotech pads.

In the end I solved it by using the Centric premium with the Gloc pads. From what I learned, the wheel shaking is at least as likely to be caused by uneven pad deposits on the rotor than a so called warped rotor. I

Bottom line OP, if using a similar pad as OEM and things are good now don't turn the rotors, install the new pads and move on.

Last edited by daschwa; 04-19-18 at 08:24 PM.