ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

The one thing I can't stand!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 12:23 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry The one thing I can't stand!

Engine braking! God, I hate this thing. Everytime I let my foot of the gas, the car slows down. Safety feature, my BUTT! I want the car to coast without having to throw the car into neutral. What's with this, manufacture thinks we don't know how to drive??? Going down a hill... hill too steep?... then downshift like you do on any other car. Since when does driving on a flat road require this stupid engine braking? Makes me feel like the car is constantly jerking around! It's damn uncomfortable and I really want to disable this "feature" badly!

Rant over... but I seriously might sell this thing just because of it!
Old 04-29-18, 08:28 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

sure you dont have the shift selection in S mode ?

http://www.lexomans.com/manguide-462.html
Old 04-29-18, 10:29 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 251 Likes on 199 Posts

I don't remember how our ES350 behaves, but my Tacoma will engine-brake downhill only if I tap my brakes during any portion of the downhill section. You could have a bad sensor.
Old 04-29-18, 12:34 PM
mkubo
Rookie

No, for sure the shift selection is set to "D" mode. I don't use, or rather rarely use, "S" mode. As I mentioned, engine braking will happen driving on flat city streets, going uphill, downhill... all the time ... that's what makes it so irritating. The car slows down the second I take my foot off the gas without even touching the brake pedal. Even when driving up slight uphill streets, the car slows down noticeably when I take my foot off the gas pedal. It's not like it's slowing down due to uphill climb or gravity, it's actually slowing down on purpose. I probably need to drive another ES just to see if something is wrong or different with my car. Maybe I do have a bad sensor, I have no idea. My 2003 Avalon didn't have this technology and compared to this ES it was heaven to drive! I'm finding this attribute so uncomfortable and it pains me because I really like everything else about this car!

By the way, what sensor controls this behavior? Can I easliy just replace the sensor?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-01-18, 05:15 PM
SUNUK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes i experience the same thing in my 08 ES... Its so annoying. Its worst when you go around a corner the car almost stops in the road. I literally have to floor the gas pedal to keep up with normal traffic after a corner turn. I tried driving in S as well but its so boring. The car has a bit of kick when driving straight as long as you dont let of the gas pedal or corner.
Old 05-01-18, 06:48 PM
jimmy2x
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have it checked out. I have approximately 80,000 on my 2010 and have never experienced anything like that unless I was in manual mode. Something is not right.
Old 05-02-18, 01:47 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

this unfortunately is "normal" behavior
very annoying and at time not safe
Old 05-03-18, 06:59 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

This sounds like abnormal behavior.
OP needs to report on the speed at which he releases his foot off the gas and the corresponding speed when the tranny shifts to a lower gear and roughly the amount of time between the two events. Then others can report if their cars behave similarly or not.
Old 05-03-18, 11:26 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

I like engine braking when costing because that means lower fuel consumption and less braking needed. I use engine braking a lot and I get excellent fuel economy and pads that last 80000 miles.
Old 05-03-18, 11:47 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmus
This sounds like abnormal behavior.
OP needs to report on the speed at which he releases his foot off the gas and the corresponding speed when the tranny shifts to a lower gear and roughly the amount of time between the two events. Then others can report if their cars behave similarly or not.
This is what I wrote... "on flat city streets" ... normal speed limits on "city" streets around the nation is 25 - 45 mph afaik... at least in California and Hawaii that's what it is.
This is what I wrote... "The car slows down the second I take my foot off the gas without even touching the brake pedal." ... "the second" translates to "immediately".

Corresponding speed? I don't have to watch my speedometer, because the speed starts dropping immediately. It doesn't take time, there is no "corresponding speed", there is no coast, it happens right away. If I'm going 35 and take my foot off the gas, the car starts slowing down. It doesn't take a second before it starts slowing down. There is no time that the car coasts at all... well, maybe, just maybe at 20mph and below.

This engine braking "sensation" is reported all over the internet. Some don't like it, some go crazy for it. Whether it's "normal" or "abnomal" I guess depends on who's driving. For me, I don't like it and thus I included in my first post the word "rant". I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with the car mechanically or electrically as I've read enough on the topic already. I either get used to it, or get rid of the car... which would be sad! I don't like sad!
Old 05-04-18, 04:53 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I believe the reason for engine braking at low speeds is because the transmission does not shift into a higher gear. So driving at 25-40 mph you are in the lower gears and that would give you the engine braking . I know at 50-70 mph my 2010 will coast when you release the gas peddle. In fact the tach drops and the car free wheels. Now if you have CC on there seems to be a 5 mph window before the engine will brake to keep you within the speed setting. Considering there is no fix you can either learn to live with it or sell the car and find one that meets your requirements.
Old 05-04-18, 06:26 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mkubo
This is what I wrote... "on flat city streets" ... normal speed limits on "city" streets around the nation is 25 - 45 mph afaik... at least in California and Hawaii that's what it is.
This is what I wrote... "The car slows down the second I take my foot off the gas without even touching the brake pedal." ... "the second" translates to "immediately".

Corresponding speed? I don't have to watch my speedometer, because the speed starts dropping immediately. It doesn't take time, there is no "corresponding speed", there is no coast, it happens right away. If I'm going 35 and take my foot off the gas, the car starts slowing down. It doesn't take a second before it starts slowing down. There is no time that the car coasts at all... well, maybe, just maybe at 20mph and below.

This engine braking "sensation" is reported all over the internet. Some don't like it, some go crazy for it. Whether it's "normal" or "abnomal" I guess depends on who's driving. For me, I don't like it and thus I included in my first post the word "rant". I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with the car mechanically or electrically as I've read enough on the topic already. I either get used to it, or get rid of the car... which would be sad! I don't like sad!
Interesting, enjoy your ES!
Old 05-04-18, 02:43 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I believe the reason for engine braking at low speeds is because the transmission does not shift into a higher gear. So driving at 25-40 mph you are in the lower gears and that would give you the engine braking . I know at 50-70 mph my 2010 will coast when you release the gas peddle. In fact the tach drops and the car free wheels. Now if you have CC on there seems to be a 5 mph window before the engine will brake to keep you within the speed setting. Considering there is no fix you can either learn to live with it or sell the car and find one that meets your requirements.
To engage engine braking at city street mph is rediculous at best. But yes, I agree, I get used to it or sell the car as there seems no remedy.
Old 05-04-18, 06:57 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mkubo
Engine braking! God, I hate this thing. Everytime I let my foot of the gas, the car slows down. Safety feature, my BUTT! I want the car to coast without having to throw the car into neutral. What's with this, manufacture thinks we don't know how to drive??? Going down a hill... hill too steep?... then downshift like you do on any other car. Since when does driving on a flat road require this stupid engine braking? Makes me feel like the car is constantly jerking around! It's damn uncomfortable and I really want to disable this "feature" badly!

Rant over... but I seriously might sell this thing just because of it!
All cars do this. Get over it.
Old 05-04-18, 08:19 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Originally Posted by brucelee1
All cars do this. Get over it.
Gee, thanks for your very helpful comments.

Last edited by mkubo; 05-05-18 at 02:52 AM.

Quick Reply: The one thing I can't stand!