ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Price Check - '08 ES 350 Ultra Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 09:29 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Price Check - '08 ES 350 Ultra Luxury

I know next to nothing about ES 350 models, but saw an interesting one for sale: 2008 with the Ultra Luxury Package and 28,000 miles. Original sticker was supposedly $53,000 with "all options" although no evidence of PCS is evident. White with parchment interior. Looks quite nice. What's it worth?
Old 09-16-18, 01:40 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
I know next to nothing about ES 350 models, but saw an interesting one for sale: 2008 with the Ultra Luxury Package and 28,000 miles. Original sticker was supposedly $53,000 with "all options" although no evidence of PCS is evident. White with parchment interior. Looks quite nice. What's it worth?
Sorry but with all of the on line data available to you why would you ask members on the form if they have a different answer.
Old 09-16-18, 02:54 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Sorry but with all of the on line data available to you why would you ask members on the form if they have a different answer.
Well, the one value guide consulted pegged its value at $10,400 which struck me as probably about right. However, the low miles coupled with the presumed rarity/desirability of the Ultra Luxury Package, suggested seeking the wisdom of those best versed in the breed.

<returns to the warmth and friendliness of the LS forums>
Old 09-17-18, 05:58 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by TriC
Well, the one value guide consulted pegged its value at $10,400 which struck me as probably about right. However, the low miles coupled with the presumed rarity/desirability of the Ultra Luxury Package, suggested seeking the wisdom of those best versed in the breed.

<returns to the warmth and friendliness of the LS forums>
Te value of any car is not established by members on forms like this as we would all have some bias . You need to search the web for what is the market value which would be based on avg. selling price . These cars are a dime a dozen and no unique value. So what you see on the various buy/sell sites are what the market will bare. This is not a rare car.
Old 09-17-18, 07:25 AM
BigPapa53
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I bought a 10 year old car with only 28K miles, I'd check service records, recalls, repairs done under warranty, and when it sat so long and how it was prepped for storage. There can be lots of issues with an unusually low mileage vehicle.

In 2011 I worked at a shop specializing in light and medium duty diesel repair. We had a retired couple passing through that had just bought a motor home up north and were driving it back to Florida. It was a very nice, very expensive, late 90's motor home with a 5.9 Cummings pusher with only 5800 miles on it. It was bought new by an older couple that used it for one cross country tour and then the man passed away suddenly. When the wife passed away 20 years later, their children liquidated their assets.

Anyway, it had been sitting so long that the fuel had become contaminated so bad and the fuel filters came apart and completely trashed the fuel system. We replaced the fuel tank, all supply and return fuel lines, lift pump, injector pump, and all injectors. They had already had to have two rear tires replaced on the road-side. When those came apart it tore the floor and plumbing up in the bathroom. Before they got home, the front crank seal failed and they ran it out of oil before they knew it and had to put a reman long block in it.

Now, I know this is a totally different scenario and a totally different vehicle, but it is a worst-case example of what can happen when you buy one of those super low mileage "barn finds".
Old 09-17-18, 02:22 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Probably worth a tad bit more than $10k. For reference, I bought my 07' ES350 Premium Plus Package with 22k miles on it two years ago for $14k OTD (GM at the Lexus dealership was a friend of mine, otherwise it would have been listed for $18k plus dealer fees).
The following users liked this post:
TriC (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 06:18 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
Probably worth a tad bit more than $10k. For reference, I bought my 07' ES350 Premium Plus Package with 22k miles on it two years ago for $14k OTD (GM at the Lexus dealership was a friend of mine, otherwise it would have been listed for $18k plus dealer fees).
Any good dealer knows the market so my bet is this friend of yours knew what he could sell it for and still make a few dollars on it. He also most likely knew that 18K was a high flyer price buy was just fishing for a buyer. You bit and he was glad to unload the car for 14K. That being the case it makes you wonder what he paid for it. He most likely made between $3 and $5K out of the deal. Car dealers are business men and friends are friends. They usually don't mix. The main thing here is if you liked the deal then that's all that matters.
Old 09-18-18, 07:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Any good dealer knows the market so my bet is this friend of yours knew what he could sell it for and still make a few dollars on it. He also most likely knew that 18K was a high flyer price buy was just fishing for a buyer. You bit and he was glad to unload the car for 14K. That being the case it makes you wonder what he paid for it. He most likely made between $3 and $5K out of the deal. Car dealers are business men and friends are friends. They usually don't mix. The main thing here is if you liked the deal then that's all that matters.
He paid $7k for it, he also already had a buyer at $16k (before fees, etc.) but did me a solid. When I was shopping two years, these cars were well over 100k miles in the $14k price range.
Old 09-18-18, 07:50 AM
jagtoes
Racer

He paid $7k for it, he also already had a buyer at $16k (before fees, etc.) but did me a solid. When I was shopping two years, these cars were well over 100k miles in the $14k price range.
OK if you say so but I doubt that he'd give up $2k on the deal unless the buyer couldn't commit. You came out OK so that's all that mattered. If I would have know he paid $7K for it I wouldn't have given him more then $10K. That would be a friend but at $14K he was a business man. My 2 cents.
Old 09-18-18, 11:25 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

OK if you say so but I doubt that he'd give up $2k on the deal unless the buyer couldn't commit. You came out OK so that's all that mattered. If I would have know he paid $7K for it I wouldn't have given him more then $10K. That would be a friend but at $14K he was a business man. My 2 cents.
He couldn't sell it for any lower without raising flags, doesn't matter that he's the GM - all sales are still reviewed and a cream-puff such as this is likely to raise flags. He would have sold it for cheaper if he could have, and given up far more than $2k; but that's not how corporate dealerships work as you might imagine, being a business and all. I would have paid the full $18k plus fees for the car to be honest, it's a real gem!
Old 09-18-18, 02:01 PM
jagtoes
Racer

He couldn't sell it for any lower without raising flags, doesn't matter that he's the GM - all sales are still reviewed and a cream-puff such as this is likely to raise flags. He would have sold it for cheaper if he could have, and given up far more than $2k; but that's not how corporate dealerships work as you might imagine, being a business and all. I would have paid the full $18k plus fees for the car to be honest, it's a real gem!
There's one out there for you and I bet a salesmen who would cut you the deal. Maybe I just like the fun of the negotiations. It's just another ES350 of which hundreds of thousands have been made/sold. Enjoy.