Fuel Gas Door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 02:17 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Fuel Gas Door won't open

Hi guys and gals I was hoping you could help me out something
I have never looked at in the years I have owned the car is the fuel door is there supposed to be a visible spring that I should be able to see?
the reason I am asking is because the door won't spring open when I hit the fuel door button I hear it clicking i here clicking from the fuel door area so that part is working but it wont pop open the only way it will open is if when I push the button I have someone pulling the door open with their nails or if i stick a plastic-like credit card in the fuel door cracks near where the lock in it is and then ones i have that in there it kind of pries it open when I push the button I do not see a spring anywhere in the door gas door area so I'm wondering if a spring fell out somehow or if the spring is built into the thing for the fuel door where its not visible and do I just need to buy a new fuel gas door ?

also, I was wondering if there supposed to be an emergency release cable for the fuel door anywhere like in the trunk? so incase the button ever stops working for some reason you can still get the door open? thank you

i also did a google search is this what it sounds like i need ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-OEM-...smQg:rk:2:pf:0

Last edited by ThumperPup; 10-21-18 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 03:12 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

My mistake apparently there is a emergency release in the trunk, but if your spring is shot it won’t do anything different than pushing the button. That sounds about right my old car had the spring go bad for the gas door. My trunk does the same thing when I pop it releases but it won’t lift at all. Luckily it unlocks even though it doesn’t pop up.

Last edited by ellocovg; 10-21-18 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 03:15 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (04-06-23)
Old 10-21-18, 03:21 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There is in fact an emergency fuel filler door release........it's under a cover in the trunk finisher behind the left rear wheel well. It's found in your Owner's Manual in the index under "Fuel filler door".

Last edited by oldgrump; 10-21-18 at 03:27 PM. Reason: additioinal info
QLex300 (04-06-23)
Old 10-21-18, 04:12 PM
CQRT
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
yup - - -takes all of 5 minutes to put in . . .
Old 10-22-18, 05:18 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Thank you very much for the links and info guys
i put the part number in my local toyotas website where i can buy parts online also and since the part numbers are the same their i see i can pick one up locally for just under 4 dollars plus tax so with its about just a little less then mylparts since their is no shipping needed i would also be able to get it quicker
QLex300 (04-06-23)
Old 10-22-18, 05:19 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by CQRT
yup - - -takes all of 5 minutes to put in . . .
i was out looking at the fuel door i also looked at one fuel door on ebay to see if i could figure out where the spring goes but i can't find it can you please explain or show me a picture of exactly where this goes please
thank you
Old 10-22-18, 08:09 AM
jkayca
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the same question when I first had to do this myself. Check out this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ml#post9245494
Old 10-22-18, 11:42 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

I called the local Toyota dealership up to order the part and because they didn't have it in stock they sadi I needed a credit card to order it im like ok find but seriously am thinking do they really worry that much over 5 dollars its not like a 100 or more part they they wouldn't need to have anyway but really they are that worried that I'm going to order the part and run and not come to get it that they are that betty over 5 bucks ? lmao
Old 10-22-18, 02:58 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
I called the local Toyota dealership up to order the part and because they didn't have it in stock they sadi I needed a credit card to order it im like ok find but seriously am thinking do they really worry that much over 5 dollars its not like a 100 or more part they they wouldn't need to have anyway but really they are that worried that I'm going to order the part and run and not come to get it that they are that betty over 5 bucks ? lmao
You would be surprise at the dead inventory they have based on orders never picked up.
Old 10-22-18, 07:33 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
You would be surprised at the dead inventory they have based on orders never picked up.
i guess i can understand that from that point
but what i should have also posted is they should be able to look up a customers history and when they have a customer that comes in for services and also comes in for parts at times and has never not shown for anything they should not have a trust issue but its cool
Old 10-22-18, 08:20 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

U
Originally Posted by ThumperPup

To the parts guy, not the parts manager it’s the same difference if it’s a .98 clip or a $1000 module if no one picks it up it’s a pain in the @$$. Honestly now a days what low volume sale, special order item will anyone order for you reguardless of cost unless if it’s paid for ahead of time or your on a first name level with them?

i love my mechanic and he loves me been going there since I was a lil kid with my pops. I called him to order brakes and rotors from Lexus on a Monday, told him I’d drop it off Friday he called me three times to make sure I was coming lol.

Last edited by ellocovg; 10-22-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 11:48 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

hey guys wanted to say thanks for the help i went over to the toyota dealership yesterday to pick up the part i had ordered i saw when i looked at the tank door agian where it had broken off took a moment to get the rest of the old spring off the door and snap the new one in but all is good
i can see how some people say the fuel cap string thing gets cought on it that happend the first time i tried to open it with the new one took a moment to figure out a way to position it that it would not happen
Old 10-26-18, 01:40 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Nice wish all of our issues were as easy as that one to fix!
Old 10-27-18, 11:58 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Tue Tue Dat

Quick Reply: Fuel Gas Door won't open