Ouchy on my 2010 ES!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 06:36 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ouchy on my 2010 ES!

Hello, TIA!

Well, today, some lady forced me into the bike lane and my car hit those plastic lane separators... you know those plastic posts that move when you hit them. Well, eventhough the posts moved, it still dented my car door. I now have a dent on the front driver door about 4 inches long, right below the door handle. It's close to the edge but I think it'll come out. I was quoted $200 today to get it fixed but can't go there right now.

I was hoping that maybe I could access the dent from the inside of the door panel and work it out myself. I'm sure I can figure out how to take the interior door panel off, (done it on many other cars), but want to know if anyone knows if the "outside skin" of the door is accessible from inside the panel. It's not that bad, but it bugs the heck out of me!

The impact also pushed in a small area of my bumper. I've taken larger bumper dents out before, so I'm not so worried about this. I mainly gotta fix the door dent. Does anyone know if this is possible... getting to the outer skin? I'd hate to spend the $200, but I might have to. Dang lady driver!!!
Old 11-02-18, 11:53 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

$200 isn’t too shabby for a paintless repair guy. You can try to do it yourself first, depends where it is if there’s a reinforcement bar or anything else in the way. You might get lucky but remember those guys are pros and use heat, pullers, helper tools, and experience which you probably don’t have.
Old 11-03-18, 01:30 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

Gimme some pics, maybe I can help you with that.
Old 11-03-18, 02:51 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Originally Posted by ellocovg
$200 isn’t too shabby for a paintless repair guy. You can try to do it yourself first, depends where it is if there’s a reinforcement bar or anything else in the way. You might get lucky but remember those guys are pros and use heat, pullers, helper tools, and experience which you probably don’t have.
Yah, I don't have the experience, but then you never learn anything unless you give it a go. Same as everything, yah!

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Gimme some pics, maybe I can help you with that.

Here ya go!
Looking at it, I think I might be able to do something. Whaddya think?
Old 11-03-18, 03:07 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

I would pull it out with those sticky sticks.
Old 11-03-18, 04:25 PM
mkubo
Rookie

I would pull it out with those sticky sticks.
sticky sticks??? Got a link to what you're talking about?
Old 11-03-18, 08:06 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

That’s a tough spot that’s not going to be open in the back. What I meant by experience is that pros have the mini suction cups with the sticky glue if necessary. They also use heat and a curved bar from behind. A pro will get it to 95% of what it previously was maybe better. You can probably get it to 80-90% maybe. If your fine with that then cool if not just get a pro because if you mess with it then he might not be able to fix it once it’s been altered.
Old 11-03-18, 10:00 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkubo
sticky sticks??? Got a link to what you're talking about?

Old 11-03-18, 11:53 PM
mkubo
Rookie

That’s a tough spot that’s not going to be open in the back. What I meant by experience is that pros have the mini suction cups with the sticky glue if necessary. They also use heat and a curved bar from behind. A pro will get it to 95% of what it previously was maybe better. You can probably get it to 80-90% maybe. If your fine with that then cool if not just get a pro because if you mess with it then he might not be able to fix it once it’s been altered.
Yah, it is a tough spot... and, there's a crease being part of the dent. It's going to take some work to get that crease out unless I can get it from the inside. Still, for $200, I would like better than 95%... because I'm sure I'm going to be crazy OCD for that kind of money. Maybe can't be done better than that though, but all self-respecting DIYer's gotta give it a try! It'll be a while before I can attack it, but for sure gonna post "after" photos either way.

Bummers... looked like he broke the puller on first attempt! LOL!. Yah, I looked at different PDR stuff on Amazon and watched many Youtube vids with guys using hot-melt glue. Just didn't know the term "sticky sticks". Some of the guys didn't do that good a job in some of those videos though. Gotta do more research, tear down the door and look around in that area... might get lucky (hopefully!) I was already thinking I might invest in a PDR kit to tackle this dent... and for the future. Hate to pay someone to keep doing it for me.

Anyone got drawings that might show the door panel?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!
Old 11-04-18, 05:19 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Unfortunately paint less repair isn’t guaranteed to be 100%. Even typical autobody replace door skin paint or body filler and paint will have to be blended and won’t be 100%. As in for me and you it might look perfect but an appraiser will look at it and within minutes will spot the body work. I hear you on being **** this was supposed to be my good looking but older cheaper car for 2/3 years. Knowing all this the cracking dash is driving me up a wall.

Last edited by ellocovg; 11-04-18 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-04-18, 06:13 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

The dent looks like it is close to the end seam which will make it difficult to get out. My bet is without the right tools and experience you will do more damage and stretch the metal or crack the paint. I suspect a body shop would want to pull and fill and repaint the area which if done right will look new. A paintless dent guy may be able to get most of it but as you get close to the edge it becomes difficult. Good luck.
Old 11-04-18, 12:09 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Unfortunately paint less repair isn’t guaranteed to be 100%. Even typical autobody replace door skin paint or body filler and paint will have to be blended and won’t be 100%. As in for me and you it might look perfect but an appraiser will look at it and within minutes will spot the body work. I hear you on being **** this was supposed to be my good looking but older cheaper car for 2/3 years. Knowing all this the cracking dash is driving me up a wall.
Yah, I read your thread on the dash. Unfortunate Lexus won't do anything. I've been using dash covers on all my cars for a long time, for no other reason than protecting the dash. I was going to get one for my 2010 but haven't done it yet. I was thinking of trying a Dashmat from Amazon. Worse case, if it doesn't fit or look good, I'll just return it as Amazon is so good about returns when things don't fit right. Here's the one for your car...
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The dent looks like it is close to the end seam which will make it difficult to get out. My bet is without the right tools and experience you will do more damage and stretch the metal or crack the paint. I suspect a body shop would want to pull and fill and repaint the area which if done right will look new. A paintless dent guy may be able to get most of it but as you get close to the edge it becomes difficult. Good luck.
My friend actually owns a body shop here in Hawaii, however, he doesn't do PDR nor has the tools. I'm going to try my hand at it once I purchase some tools. However, my charge card just recently got hacked, so I have to wait a few weeks to get my new card before I can even attempt it. My major concern is the crease, and being close to the edge, I really don't know how it's going to go. I'm not too worried about stretching the metal as I plan to take it very slow. Of course, worse case, I can always let my friend do body work. I was also looking on Craigslist for a car door or fender to practice on. There's a fender for like $20, so that's cheap for gaining experience.

I'm one of those DIY'ers that attempts to learn anything I'm interested in. I wanted some leather cases for my knife, fishing pliers, and phones, so I bought leather, tools, dyes, etc and learned how to make them. I found out working with leather is not that difficult, but measure twice/cut once, certainly applies as expensive as leather is. I also wanted my mechanical watches to run better than +/- 1 minute a day, so I bought a watch timer and adjusted them. My Orient now runs +/- 7 seconds/day, and my Seiko is about +/- 5 seconds/day. Yup, bought the timer just to do 2 watches. Ended up doing about 9 watches for friends and family.

A little dent won't deter me! LOL!
Old 11-04-18, 12:33 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

TGood luck worse case scenario if your not happy with the results let your buddy hit it with some body work after the fact.

I ordered this one, but I’m **** I doubt I’ll be able to live with it.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by ellocovg; 11-04-18 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 12:53 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Thanks! Yah, for sure if I'm not satisfied, I gotta go another route.
I've had dash covers on my previous cars, Camry, 4Runner, and Avalon. For me it wasn't to cover up anything... I just like dash covers. I'm sure you're going to like looking at it more than the cracks in your dash. Post some pics in your thread when you get it installed. I'll be interested in seeing it. Good luck too!