ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2010 ES350 GPS Map Upgrade: Dealer does not know how

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 05:54 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dlin95123
Thanks for the input. I want to treat the dealer fairly too. So it is good to hear you guys' perspective. The following is my thought.

I did spend hours on the phone with them and the Lexus case manager. I am a data science manager in Silicon Valley. If I want to bill them my rate from dealing with them due to the extended delay from a 45 minute job to a 4 week job, they would owe me a lot of money. But this is probably not fair to them.

On the other hand, why do we pay more at Lexus than at Toyota? We expect better services. Most stand alone navigation devices would offer free updates. Why do we pay $311 for a simple map data update? We expect better services from Lexus. When all these are not met, are we still expected to pay the full price?

What bugs my wife the most is the refusal of help from the service writer. When we first asked for a loaner car, he said no. We asked him to give us updates. He conveniently said that their phone system was not working. We had to call him regularly to find out what happened to our car. He claimed he had called us. But we did not get the call or voice mail. When confronted why no voice mail, he said their phone system must be broken.

When he called today to collect the fees, I told him that I'd be happy to pay him the full price if he just helped me verify that I did get the latest map data. He refused to help too. So I am going to talk to the Lexus case manager on Monday and discuss what would be a fair price to pay.
You're talking to the wrong people. You need the GM or dealership owner. Escalate.
PS I was in the SC mfg. business for 45 years as an equipment engineer and then 20 years of engineering and procurement management with IBM. Time is money and you should know this. They are screwing you and yet you say you want to be fair to them. Sorry but your left coast sensitivity is showing. Pay them the $311 and be on your way .
Old 01-05-19, 07:01 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

I realize I was thinking of it as a Toyota dealership, I forgot the “Lexus Experience” aspect. If it was a Toyota dealer you’d be told to go kick rocks. If you’ve always serviced your car at the dealership and have established a repertoire with them they will probably take care of you in some sort of way. If you haven’t built up equity by overpaying for service for years and just stopped in once to get the update you will probably be told to kick rocks, politely though. All in all that price is ridiculous but what was the price you were quoted up front?
Old 01-06-19, 12:52 PM
dlin95123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ellocovg
I realize I was thinking of it as a Toyota dealership, I forgot the “Lexus Experience” aspect. If it was a Toyota dealer you’d be told to go kick rocks. If you’ve always serviced your car at the dealership and have established a repertoire with them they will probably take care of you in some sort of way. If you haven’t built up equity by overpaying for service for years and just stopped in once to get the update you will probably be told to kick rocks, politely though. All in all that price is ridiculous but what was the price you were quoted up front?
Yes, I agreed to the price up front. I also told the service writer, when he called to collect the fees, that I would be happy to pay for it if he could just tell me how to verify that I indeed have received the update. But he refused to help. He just wanted me to pay them. This just does not seem reasonable to me.
Old 01-06-19, 01:07 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

They should of probably explained it better but it’s obvious no one at the dealer knew, or wanted to learn, or had any previous knowledge whatsoever of how to program or even check the gps software version. Hence they had to send it to the competition to do the job for them. Also sounds like your service writer was just glad to finally have your car out of his hair.

Yes, I agreed to the price up front. I also told the service writer, when he called to collect the fees, that I would be happy to pay for it if he could just tell me how to verify that I indeed have received the update. But he refused to help. He just wanted me to pay them. This just does not seem reasonable to me.
Old 01-07-19, 10:52 AM
dlin95123
Driver School Candidate

The Lexus case manager called me this morning. She was surprised to hear that I had to wait for 1 month for a 30 minute job. She offered me a $500 service credit. I thanked her and told her that I wanted to apply the credit to the map update. She was surprised that the dealer did not waive the fees.

Guess this is a good ending and it shows Lexus cares about customer satisfaction.
Old 01-07-19, 01:08 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

The Lexus case manager called me this morning. She was surprised to hear that I had to wait for 1 month for a 30 minute job. She offered me a $500 service credit. I thanked her and told her that I wanted to apply the credit to the map update. She was surprised that the dealer did not waive the fees.

Guess this is a good ending and it shows Lexus cares about customer satisfaction.
Just so you don't get to overjoyed with the service writer you need to ask yourself "where was she a month ago". Just be careful because the next service with this dealer will most likely be more then $500.
Old 01-08-19, 09:45 AM
dlin95123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just so you don't get to overjoyed with the service writer you need to ask yourself "where was she a month ago". Just be careful because the next service with this dealer will most likely be more then $500.
These are two different people, the service writer at the dealer and the case manager from Lexus corporate. I told the service writer that Lexus case manager is giving me a service coupon to pay for it. The service writer told me that he did not know how to accept service coupon as payment.

One has a be an idiot to go back to that dealer for services again. There are other dealers around here.
Old 01-08-19, 02:24 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Congrats I’m glad you proved me wrong. I really didn’t think Lexus was going to step up but they did. Obviously that dealer sucks or atleast that service writer does. If your up there in mileage suck it up and pay for the gps. Find a new Lexus dealer and use the $500 forwards timing service or new plugs if your up there in mileage. I’d look on the original Lexus dealers webpage to see if they have any service coupons just to mess with him too!
Old 01-09-19, 01:25 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Might be best if you ask the service adviser at the dealer to ask the general manager how to accept the service coupon that Lexus Corporate gave you. I have used one in the past to pay for service and all the service adviser needed was the letter from Lexus Corporate. Your service adviser doesn't appear to be very good at his/her job.
Old 01-09-19, 07:50 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Please tell us the name and location of this dealership.
Old 12-24-19, 06:25 PM
rickster9
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone knows how to update a 2010 without this nightmare please advise.