ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

aftermarket HID VS LED

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-18, 12:15 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
He doesn't have the HID option . He has halogen low beams. Your picture gives no reference to distance down the road so it is difficult to see if they are sufficient .
yes
i have halogen and looking to upgrade the bulbs
Old 12-31-18, 11:33 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah I was trying to reference that to the cutoff you mentioned before. In summary there’s nothing that you can do to your halogen headlights short of a full blown retrofit to make your headlights as good as a car with the $1,500 optional Hids. You have halogen projectors which are more cosmetic than functional. They do aim the light but it’s not fine tuned. Hid projectors are highly fine tuned to put out the perfect light beam. I’ll agree to disagree that our cars factory Hids aren’t great, because I think there pretty good atleast well above average. Your options are the following 1) get premium halogen bulbs, will probably be slightly better. 2) get QUALITY hid pnp kit or led kit. This will put out allot more lumen than halogen, I’m not sure how your halogen projectors will handle them, could be decent could just go on glare overload and make matters worse. 3) get a pair of OEM Hid equipped entire headlight assemblies from a junkyard, this will be expensive but definitely an upgrade. 4) have someone perform a full blown retrofit. This will be expensive as they will open your headlights pluck out the halogen projector and install the highest quality OEM Hid projector or the best aftermarket projector. This will blow the factory headlights out of the water.

Like I suggested before HIdplanet.Com has all the information you could ever need. My night vision got pretty bad after I did LASIK the eye Dr said after 35 the muscles behind our eyes weaken naturally so that’s also a possibility to consider. Test drive a newer vehicle at night time that has halogen bulbs for giggles see how it looks compared to the old Lexxy

He doesn't have the HID option . He has halogen low beams. Your picture gives no reference to distance down the road so it is difficult to see if they are sufficient .
Old 12-31-18, 02:55 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
yes
i have halogen and looking to upgrade the bulbs

I would recommend Kensun 6000K 55W
Old 12-31-18, 07:24 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Yeah I was trying to reference that to the cutoff you mentioned before. In summary there’s nothing that you can do to your halogen headlights short of a full blown retrofit to make your headlights as good as a car with the $1,500 optional Hids. You have halogen projectors which are more cosmetic than functional. They do aim the light but it’s not fine tuned. Hid projectors are highly fine tuned to put out the perfect light beam. I’ll agree to disagree that our cars factory Hids aren’t great, because I think there pretty good atleast well above average. Your options are the following 1) get premium halogen bulbs, will probably be slightly better. 2) get QUALITY hid pnp kit or led kit. This will put out allot more lumen than halogen, I’m not sure how your halogen projectors will handle them, could be decent could just go on glare overload and make matters worse. 3) get a pair of OEM Hid equipped entire headlight assemblies from a junkyard, this will be expensive but definitely an upgrade. 4) have someone perform a full blown retrofit. This will be expensive as they will open your headlights pluck out the halogen projector and install the highest quality OEM Hid projector or the best aftermarket projector. This will blow the factory headlights out of the water.

Like I suggested before HIdplanet.Com has all the information you could ever need. My night vision got pretty bad after I did LASIK the eye Dr said after 35 the muscles behind our eyes weaken naturally so that’s also a possibility to consider. Test drive a newer vehicle at night time that has halogen bulbs for giggles see how it looks compared to the old Lexxy

THANK YOU
i drove a few nx and es loaners with id and it was much much better illumination
i want to purchase a good pair of led bulbs but don't want to just waste money if the lamps will just glare and not utilize the technologu
that is the dilemma
Old 01-01-19, 05:22 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

THANK YOU
i drove a few nx and es loaners with id and it was much much better illumination
i want to purchase a good pair of led bulbs but don't want to just waste money if the lamps will just glare and not utilize the technologu
that is the dilemma
Just remember the light beam/pattern is caused by the lens in the headlight assembly. A brighter bulb may not give you the increased sight distance but will be brighter in the light pattern of the OEM lens. Look at it this way. If you park the car 10 feet away from a wall on level ground at night and cover the passenger headlight look at the beam pattern on the wall. You will see a sharp flat line cutoff. That is caused by the design of the lens. A brighter bulb will not change the cut off height so the distance will be pretty much the same only brighter. As I said if you want to see further down the road you need to adjust the headlight assembly (lens) higher then OEM setting.
Old 01-01-19, 12:27 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Just remember the light beam/pattern is caused by the lens in the headlight assembly. A brighter bulb may not give you the increased sight distance but will be brighter in the light pattern of the OEM lens. Look at it this way. If you park the car 10 feet away from a wall on level ground at night and cover the passenger headlight look at the beam pattern on the wall. You will see a sharp flat line cutoff. That is caused by the design of the lens. A brighter bulb will not change the cut off height so the distance will be pretty much the same only brighter. As I said if you want to see further down the road you need to adjust the headlight assembly (lens) higher then OEM setting.
thanks for the education
sorry, i am just learning;
what do you mean by adjusting the lens higher?
is adjusting the lens and adjusting the bulb the same thing?
Old 01-01-19, 04:22 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

thanks for the education
sorry, i am just learning;
what do you mean by adjusting the lens higher?
is adjusting the lens and adjusting the bulb the same thing?
You can't adjust the bulb. It goes in the housing just one way. There are 2 adjusting wheels in the headlight assembly. Either look it up on youtube or get a copy of the manual.