ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Door handle black buttons only work when I have the keyfob on me

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 05:15 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door handle black buttons only work when I have the keyfob on me

Not sure if this is normal operation of the car or not. If it is, it's surely not good. If I exit the car and lock the doors with the black button on the handle, the doors lock just fine... as long as I have the keyfob with me. If I forget to lock the doors and come back without the keyfob on me, say 15mins later, and press the black button on any door, the doors don't lock. Seems quirky to me! I've searched everywhere on the forums, google, the manual, and haven't found anything about this.

Anyone see this before? Makes no sense that you can't lock the doors with the black button unless you're carrying the keyfob.
Old 01-26-19, 06:16 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mkubo
Not sure if this is normal operation of the car or not. If it is, it's surely not good. If I exit the car and lock the doors with the black button on the handle, the doors lock just fine... as long as I have the keyfob with me. If I forget to lock the doors and come back without the keyfob on me, say 15mins later, and press the black button on any door, the doors don't lock. Seems quirky to me! I've searched everywhere on the forums, google, the manual, and haven't found anything about this.

Anyone see this before? Makes no sense that you can't lock the doors with the black button unless you're carrying the keyfob.
That's the way the system works and is the same on all cars with this type of keyless system. It's normal.
Old 01-26-19, 06:52 PM
mkubo
Rookie

Originally Posted by jagtoes
That's the way the system works and is the same on all cars with this type of keyless system. It's normal.
Do you know of any reference to this?
Old 01-27-19, 02:26 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

How can the car know that you are the owner if you don’t have the proximity key with you?
Old 01-27-19, 05:16 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Do you know of any reference to this?
It's in the owners manual on the function of the key fob. It is also common sense as to why could ANYONE lock the car by pressing the button. This question seems to be that of a troll as opposed to someone with common sense.
The following users liked this post:
RXGS (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 05:07 PM
mkubo
Rookie

What are you guys talking about? Why would the car care if I'm the owner of the car if I'm trying to "lock" it? And what's with the insults about this post being a troll and me not having common sense? What is it with you, jagtoes, you always try to get on people if you don't like the question! And to accuse me of trolling??? If you don't like the topic, don't respond! I've seen this kind of response from you many times in this forum, and I can tell you it's not welcomed by anyone!

I happen to be a full-time caregiver that has to attend to my Mom when we leave the car. Sometimes I forget to lock it because I'm paying more attention to her than anything else. As it is, sometimes I find the car isn't locked for the whole night because I forgot to lock it. All it says in the manual is that you can do this or that when you have the keyfob on you. There is nothing in the manual that specifically says I need to have the keyfob on me to activate the handle button. This is a valid question about why I can't "lock" the car without having to have the keyfob on me. All I'm asking for is information. I didn't post to get hammered! Sheeesh!
Old 01-27-19, 05:23 PM
jagtoes
Racer

What are you guys talking about? Why would the car care if I'm the owner of the car if I'm trying to "lock" it? And what's with the insults about this post being a troll and me not having common sense? What is it with you, jagtoes, you always try to get on people if you don't like the question! And to accuse me of trolling??? If you don't like the topic, don't respond! I've seen this kind of response from you many times in this forum, and I can tell you it's not welcomed by anyone!

I happen to be a full-time caregiver that has to attend to my Mom when we leave the car. Sometimes I forget to lock it because I'm paying more attention to her than anything else. As it is, sometimes I find the car isn't locked for the whole night because I forgot to lock it. All it says in the manual is that you can do this or that when you have the keyfob on you. There is nothing in the manual that specifically says I need to have the keyfob on me to activate the handle button. This is a valid question about why I can't "lock" the car without having to have the keyfob on me. All I'm asking for is information. I didn't post to get hammered! Sheeesh!
Sorry but if you think about it your question doesn't make sense. The reason the OM doesn't speak to it is because it tell you that you need to have the key fob present for the locks to function . So why do you think you need it. Maybe it's because you need to transmit a signal to the car's receiver. So think about it , do you have a transmitter in your finger.
Thank you for your comments.
Old 01-27-19, 06:02 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

see manual. there are 3 ways to lock/unlock door

1. using key fob within certain distance
2. using black button on outside door handle if you have the key fob
3. using the buttons inside the door either
- rocker switch near the window buttons, or
-the button beside the inside door handle
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
doorlock.pdf (248.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-28-19, 04:01 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Both the lock and unlock mechanisms on the outside are wired/ powered by the same receiver if one doesn’t work (unlock) the other couldn’t work (lock). In simple terms think of a car amplifier if there’s no remote power (key fob) it won’t turn on even though it has power flowing to it. This is the same for card swipe entry doors same idea. If the cars unlocked you can just open any of the front doors and press the power lock button and your good. It would be allot more complicated not to mention useless and silly for them to allow you to lock the vehicle without the key.