ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

12.1" Android Style Nav System?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 09:47 PM
cloudlight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12.1" Android Style Nav System?

Has anyone tried to install one of these in an 07 ES 350?

I think it's a really cool idea but can't find much (if any) information on them.

If so, what experiences have you had? Has it held up? How was the install? Did you lose any features?

I have the model with Nav & Mark Levinson system.
Old 02-27-19, 12:37 PM
MrWills
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cloudlight
Has anyone tried to install one of these in an 07 ES 350?

I think it's a really cool idea but can't find much (if any) information on them.

If so, what experiences have you had? Has it held up? How was the install? Did you lose any features?

I have the model with Nav & Mark Levinson system.
I just purchased one for a 2012 ES 350, no NAV. I haven't heard too many good things about this unit, but it's worth a shot at in the dark. I'm going to have it installed. I don't have the time to do it myself. I also have a 2016 ES 350 with NAV. I am probably going with the VLINE2. I would have liked to have put in a comparable unit inthe 2012, but there is no NAV on it. Sounds like putting in a "factory nav" replacement would be too painful, so I took my chances on the RhinoRadio. We'll see. OS is old on it. I heard they were pretty slow too.
Old 03-01-19, 09:40 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

That actually looks preatty cool
but i wish they did it for a iphone IOS base i don't have an android and never see myself having a droid phone
i have been thinking since there will be no more nav updates for the 07 ES350 wtih factoyr nave and the last update i belive was 2 years ago perhaps and i have the 3 year old version or the 2nd to last
i am not going to spend the money to update to a map that is only 1 year newer than what i currently have
i am thinking of going aftermarket
i see people go aftermarket with their non nav oem unit but i don't think i have ever seen anyone do this with a OEM nav option ES350
so im wondering if there is even a kit for this
Old 03-01-19, 11:59 AM
MrWills
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
That actually looks preatty cool
but i wish they did it for a iphone IOS base i don't have an android and never see myself having a droid phone
i have been thinking since there will be no more nav updates for the 07 ES350 wtih factoyr nave and the last update i belive was 2 years ago perhaps and i have the 3 year old version or the 2nd to last
i am not going to spend the money to update to a map that is only 1 year newer than what i currently have
i am thinking of going aftermarket
i see people go aftermarket with their non nav oem unit but i don't think i have ever seen anyone do this with a OEM nav option ES350
so im wondering if there is even a kit for this
worksvwith the iPhone. You can purchase the CarPlay module which I did. You never know what phone you’ll end up with. I currently have both iPhone and Android. I’m still waiting for delivery.
Old 03-01-19, 04:42 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

cool cool i will keep my eyes on posts and see how you enjoy this once you get it hooked up and all
over the next few months
i am not going to spend the money on it if i don't keep the car but my plan is to deside what im going to do by the end of this summer my mom is waiting on a big settlement from the city of boca raton close to 900k but the drs will get a third the layers get a third and i joked around and said you should buy me a new car for all the times i come down and take care of you when you have surgerys and are not feeling well i told her i was joking around shes my mom and i love her ill do that for here for free anytime im feeling up to it with my health. she actualy told me she was going to give me money to pay off all my credit cards and i got into a little finacial issues last year i had my 07 ES paid off but i ended up having to go take a loan on it for a few thousand dollars and she said she would give me enough to pay the car off and pay off some of my credit cards and then also enough to put 15k towards a new car purchase
so when that does hapen i am not sure if im going to keep my car for a winter vehicle and buy a new car for the summer time or if im going to trade in the ES and take the 15k and put it down on a newer lexus im debating im thinking about a CT200h or a NX i know those are totaly different beasts but those are the 2 im leaning towards so dont want to go spending 1000 on a audio system unit just yet
Old 03-05-19, 09:57 AM
bucfan22
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 08 car is more than 10 years old and i only spent less than 8k buying it in 2017. Personally i am not going to spend almost 1k for the head unit on this old less than 7k car value now. When i first bought the car, i was on the same boat, keep searching and reading to replace a better head unit and not much choice for this vehicle. The after 3-4 hundred buck market one is ok but you have to replace the lexus head unit frame with a dull plastic one which really make it look cheap. These Chinese unit is looking real nice but way too expensive and the soft ware on it is Android kit kat 4.4.4 which is almost 7 year old software. i have doubt it will work nicely with current update apps as most of the apps are working for Android Oreo 8.1 and now newer 9.0 android pie. Bought a few thing that make in china with old software in the past, and my experience is they never update software once it is on the market.
Old 03-05-19, 01:37 PM
MrWills
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bucfan22
My 08 car is more than 10 years old and i only spent less than 8k buying it in 2017. Personally i am not going to spend almost 1k for the head unit on this old less than 7k car value now. When i first bought the car, i was on the same boat, keep searching and reading to replace a better head unit and not much choice for this vehicle. The after 3-4 hundred buck market one is ok but you have to replace the lexus head unit frame with a dull plastic one which really make it look cheap. These Chinese unit is looking real nice but way too expensive and the soft ware on it is Android kit kat 4.4.4 which is almost 7 year old software. i have doubt it will work nicely with current update apps as most of the apps are working for Android Oreo 8.1 and now newer 9.0 android pie. Bought a few thing that make in china with old software in the past, and my experience is they never update software once it is on the market.
its android 6. This 2012 is new to me. I have a 2016 as well but going with VLine2 on it. To me, the upgryis Worth it. Probably going with after market speakers and amp too.
Old 03-05-19, 02:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I had in my GS, it was the best upgrade I ever did.
Old 03-05-19, 02:56 PM
MrWills
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXGS

totally agree, can’t wait. I think it’s here next week. 😊
Old 04-09-19, 05:52 PM
460Knote
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGS
what year GS did you have? And did it have the ML head unit?
Old 04-13-19, 08:37 AM
krolnik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you install it yet ? Does the climate control show LOW, or the actual temps ?
Old 04-13-19, 09:56 AM
MrWills
Driver School Candidate

It shows degrees, but they are completely off scale. 8F is around 72F
Old 07-07-19, 02:20 PM
Kozubek38
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrWills
I just purchased one for a 2012 ES 350, no NAV. I haven't heard too many good things about this unit, but it's worth a shot at in the dark. I'm going to have it installed. I don't have the time to do it myself. I also have a 2016 ES 350 with NAV. I am probably going with the VLINE2. I would have liked to have put in a comparable unit inthe 2012, but there is no NAV on it. Sounds like putting in a "factory nav" replacement would be too painful, so I took my chances on the RhinoRadio. We'll see. OS is old on it. I heard they were pretty slow too.

How did this turn out? Any update from initial install to now?