ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

snake oil or real treatment good for engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 08:37 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default snake oil or real treatment good for engine ?

So usualy im one who will be the first to say don't buy that crap to put in your car its not a quick fix its a quick clogg and just a snake oil
but thats usualy towards something such as that bars stop leak crap or anything that is supposed to stop leaks i say **** like that just cloggs crap up yeah helps to stop stuff like leaks and that crap but it cloggs **** up that shouldn't be clogged up.

but im watching one of these television shows today that are about auto trend and watching tv about garage shows and that
and i see one of them advertise lucas oil treatment and the other advertises a oil treatment called slick 50 it doesn't claim to clog leaks ro specifically stop leaks but i know what the slick 50 claims to do is renew seals or refresh stuff like ruber seals and also treat the internal engine parts to renew and restor power
what do you gusy think do you think this is just another snake oil or something ? thats usless ?
Old 02-24-19, 08:43 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
So usualy im one who will be the first to say don't buy that crap to put in your car its not a quick fix its a quick clogg and just a snake oil
but thats usualy towards something such as that bars stop leak crap or anything that is supposed to stop leaks i say **** like that just cloggs crap up yeah helps to stop stuff like leaks and that crap but it cloggs **** up that shouldn't be clogged up.

but im watching one of these television shows today that are about auto trend and watching tv about garage shows and that
and i see one of them advertise lucas oil treatment and the other advertises a oil treatment called slick 50 it doesn't claim to clog leaks ro specifically stop leaks but i know what the slick 50 claims to do is renew seals or refresh stuff like ruber seals and also treat the internal engine parts to renew and restor power
what do you gusy think do you think this is just another snake oil or something ? thats usless ?
Lucas? Oh, No!!!!
Old 02-24-19, 08:59 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

i figured that would be the case and the answer i just figured id ask thank you
i know that shops used to do engine cleaning flushes but i know that no one seems to do that anymore i am against flushing anything even the trans i belive in having the fluids drained as much as you can and then refilling new fluid and filters where needed
but i hate flushing stuff because you can break things loose and flog areas that shouldnt be clogged and cause more trouble
but am wondierng about just engine treatment aditives i do use valvoline full synthetic oil in my oil changes i get my oil change done eveyr 7500 miles usualy and about every 3500 miles i add a little bit of oil not because it needs it because it doesnt burn any oil at all hardly but only add a little oil to refresh the oil thats in their since i go 7500 miles instead of 5000 miles per oil change
Old 02-24-19, 09:51 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

High quality synthetic oil has all needed additives that will clean your engine and condition your seals. No additional treatments are needed and in fact are not recommended by owner manual.
Old 03-03-19, 01:15 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 199 Posts

The high mileage oils have the additives needed to keep oil seals pliable. Lucas increases the oil viscosity, something you don't want to do in a normal running engine.

Oil additives become helpful when problems arise - such as when your engine starts burning oil. It becomes a band aid, a temp solution until the problem is fixed.
Old 03-03-19, 06:22 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

I used to use Lucas additives when I was a kid but I stopped once i read it wasn’t necessary, but I do use stupidly expensive high end lubricants now. I still use Lucas gas treatments every few months though. I have a high mileage ford ranger work truck that the reverse took forever to engage and the tranny was basically on the way out. I added a Lucas transmission treatment 2 years ago and it doesn’t shift perfect but 80% better. I know it’s a bandaid not a fix but it’s gotten me two years 30k more than I expected that transmission to last.
Old 03-04-19, 08:47 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

I have my oil changed at the dealership using factory recomended spect 5w30 full synthetic valvoline oil
they don't use a high miles synthetic because they dont carry that
just regular full synthetic i have 221k on my 07 ES350 now so i guess what i was curious was now is their some aditive that the high miles oil would have in it that the non high mile oil doesnt that i could or should add a little off ?
Old 03-04-19, 08:52 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by ellocovg
I used to use Lucas additives when I was a kid but I stopped once i read it wasn’t necessary, but I do use stupidly expensive high end lubricants now. I still use Lucas gas treatments every few months though. I have a high mileage ford ranger work truck that the reverse took forever to engage and the tranny was basically on the way out. I added a Lucas transmission treatment 2 years ago and it doesn’t shift perfect but 80% better. I know it’s a bandaid not a fix but it’s gotten me two years 30k more than I expected that transmission to last.
THe only Fuel treatment i use is Techron Concentrate From Chevron when i really needed something to help in one of my cadillas i used to have i had replaced the fuel level sensor like twice because it went out i know a stupid thing to do is let the fule get down below 1/8th of a tank or 1/2 asspecialy when the fuel pump and level sensor is in the gas tank and it colled by the fuel lol but one time someone told me when i was about to replace it for the 3rd time because the level sensor stopped working someone told me to try out chevron techron additive and i did that for two tankes of fuel and it actualy worked it helped clean the sensor contacts that got dirty as hell and helped restor something in it so it was working perfectly again so thats the only thing i use i acutaly just put 20oz of techron in my tank yesterday i do that every 10k when im using top tier fules and every 5k when im not able to get top teir fules
Old 03-05-19, 12:51 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
I have my oil changed at the dealership using factory recomended spect 5w30 full synthetic valvoline oil
they don't use a high miles synthetic because they dont carry that
just regular full synthetic i have 221k on my 07 ES350 now so i guess what i was curious was now is their some aditive that the high miles oil would have in it that the non high mile oil doesnt that i could or should add a little off ?
Based on my oil analysis results of Mobil1 Extended, these are some of the additives in the oil:
Magnesium - a detergent used to keep contaminants suspended so they get trapped by the oil filter
Calcium - ditto
Phosphorus - anti wear additive; forms protective film on metal surface
Zinc - same as phosphorus (see ZDDP; too high levels can be bad for the
Molybdenum - anti friction lubricant
Boron - extreme pressure anti wear additive (can also indicate coolant leak; look for presence of water)
Sodium - rust inhibitor (can also indicate coolant leak; look for presence of water)
Old 03-05-19, 08:20 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
Based on my oil analysis results of Mobil1 Extended, these are some of the additives in the oil:
Magnesium - a detergent used to keep contaminants suspended so they get trapped by the oil filter
Calcium - ditto
Phosphorus - anti wear additive; forms protective film on metal surface
Zinc - same as phosphorus (see ZDDP; too high levels can be bad for the
Molybdenum - anti friction lubricant
Boron - extreme pressure anti wear additive (can also indicate coolant leak; look for presence of water)
Sodium - rust inhibitor (can also indicate coolant leak; look for presence of water)
i am wondering if there is a additive that has just these items products in it and not anything that the oil already has in it
or what if i where to mix like right after i get a oil change i go and add like 1/2 a qurt of this high mile synthetic to the oil will it be ok to have about half a qt more or not good ? or are there additive mixes that just have these in it ?
Old 03-08-19, 12:26 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

It will be hard to determine the ingredients of oil treatments because they don't always list list them or claim they use proprietary ingredients. Archoil 9100 seems to be tops in many tests but it's pricey.