ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

shake until steady speed only when getting onto the highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19 | 09:02 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
I was told that i would also be good to replace this part here part number 43457-33030
what is this i cant find it aftermartker part anywhere
is this whats consider the carrier bearing ?
Yes, the full name is bracket, drive shaft bearing. I had to replace it on mine, the old one wouldn't come off, so had to buy one from a dealer in emergency. I also replaced the inner seal, they were relatively inexpensive...
Old 03-29-19 | 11:27 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by igzy
Yes, the full name is bracket, drive shaft bearing. I had to replace it on mine, the old one wouldn't come off, so had to buy one from a dealer in emergency. I also replaced the inner seal, they were relatively inexpensive...
the bracket is 105 so 120 after taaxes if i order it and have it at the toyota dealership near me lexus is 10 more
or i could order it from MyL parts and its 90 after shipping so not so sure i call that inexspensive the bracket is more exspensive than a aftermarktet axle
and the thing is i order it from teh dealership and if it doesnt need to be replace because they can get it off then i can return it but if i order it from myLparts im preatty sure they dont accept returns unless its a defective part so im SOL i feel
Old 03-29-19 | 11:33 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

the bracket is 105 so 120 after taaxes if i order it and have it at the toyota dealership near me lexus is 10 more
or i could order it from MyL parts and its 90 after shipping so not so sure i call that inexspensive the bracket is more exspensive than a aftermarktet axle
and the thing is i order it from teh dealership and if it doesnt need to be replace because they can get it off then i can return it but if i order it from myLparts im preatty sure they dont accept returns unless its a defective part so im SOL i feel
Ahhh, sorry, for inexpensive I meant the seal, the bearing bracket was $200-something for me. Seal was $20ish from what I recall...
Old 03-29-19 | 11:40 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Ahhh, sorry, for inexpensive I meant the seal, the bearing bracket was $200-something for me. Seal was $20ish from what I recall...
yeah and for me its not like i can just let the vibration go and be ok with it i have alot ofmedical conditions that cause major pain i have implant devices for pain and take megs the slighted shake that causes stuff to happen affects me and i feelt it
i told that to the dealer manager thismorning of the service department and asked if he would match the price that mylparts would charge shipped of 89 dollars he is going to talk to his parts department and let me know
he also said that he can have his guys look into a option of a used one perhaps
but he understand my issues and these guys i trust because they have done alot of work some stuff they have never charged me for because they knowwhat it takes to keep good customers coming back for the smaller things if they take care of customers for smaller things they undersand they will come back for the xspensive stuff also and business is business no matter what.

there is a shop here that has one listed its a junkyard about 30 minutes north of me they have one with have a 2011 lexus es350 with 89k on it and still have the axle on the car they have it posted for sale and im asking them to check its posted on car-parts.com i asked them if they would be able to pull the axle and perhaps just get me the bracket if thats the case but with having under 100k and im only planing on keeping the car maybe another year perhaps could get away with the used oEM axle and if the boot perhaps just hav ethe boot kit replace when its off the car im thinking if its already off and the boot gets repalced justbecause its alreayd off maybe that will be safe to do but asking them to see baout just getitng me the bracket if they can pull it off id like to have it just incase they cant get mine off this is just crazy i dont get how someone doesnt make this aftermarket part
Old 03-29-19 | 11:46 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

I hear ya! Parts in Canada are marked up quite a bit compared to US

I replaced both shafts at just under 200K, so my hope is that that 89K part will last you another ~100K, hopefully until you replace the car.

The seal I also replaced is the AT outer seal, I figured to replace it while the part is out just as a preventative. It leaked on my RAV4 with the same engine (lessons learnt from that repair)
Old 03-29-19 | 12:31 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

I hear ya! Parts in Canada are marked up quite a bit compared to US

I replaced both shafts at just under 200K, so my hope is that that 89K part will last you another ~100K, hopefully until you replace the car.

The seal I also replaced is the AT outer seal, I figured to replace it while the part is out just as a preventative. It leaked on my RAV4 with the same engine (lessons learnt from that repair)
my 07 has like 222k and i will hope i can get another 100k out of it i would be extremely happy
but i have not had goodluck with axles thats for sure this will be the 2nd time replacing the axkle i think i got like 45k when the cv joint had to be replaced under warranty on the lexus warranty and then i got about another 80k before the boot had torn and i ended up replacing it with a aftermarket axle now about 100k latter is when the aftermarket xle is bad and i am going to have them doo the boot kit but do i need both boots or just one manager at the service deparmtent said it wont be any extra labor that he would charge me just the parts so i think a boot kit in like 40 or 50 bucks OEM if i buy it from the parts department at the dealership and not try to go cheaper fidning a aftermarktet one or anyting but maybe a aftermarktet boot kit will be stronger perhaps of a boot maybe.
He said the only thing they can do is just inspect it to make sure that it looks good but no way to actualy test it to make sure there is no problems is until its on the car.
the part that is about 30Minutes north fo me i just called them and asked them to take it off the car so they are doing that and i agreed aslong as they get it of and has the bracket iwthout damage to it then ill buy that from them for 70bucks for the OME iwt 89k on it and its also has 4-5 years less use on it because its a 2011 so hoppully all i need is the boot kit and a new axle nut to just make sure its all good
Old 03-29-19 | 12:38 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

just out of curiosity im on MYLparts now jus tlooking at the boot kit and that how come if i look under 2007 it shows that they have a CV joint on its own but then when i look under 2011 it does now show a cvjoint kit
did they change these axles at all ? is 2011 not fixable if the cvjoint ever goes bad cant be replaced only option is to replace the axle itself ? but in 2007 -2009 it was possible to repalce the cvjoint alone ?
i know im not planing on changing the cv-joint so no big deal but im wondering if i get the axle out of the 2011 that i was planing on if the cv-joint ever went bad is the cvjoint not going to be able to be repalced ?
Old 03-29-19 | 01:06 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

I didn't try to repair my CVJ's, I just went with a whole new assembly. To rebuild it properly, you also gotta replace the needle bearings, and I didn't want to do that. It is a really messy job, easy to screw up and I wouldn't save any $$ vs buying a new part....
Old 03-29-19 | 04:06 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

I drove up and picked up the half shaft axle assembly from the salvage yard it looked good it had the bracket i paid 75 after tax for it
i am the boots are not cracked not looking like any damage but you could tell that both inner and outer boot is weathered a bit because thaty are not smooth rubber they have been weathered with the conditions of seasons here so ill go to Napa and picked up some boots tomorrow that i ordered got the boot kits for about 20 each comes with new clamps new bots and grease i have an appointment for the dealership to put it on Tuesday i know that the labor will be around 250 they never charge more than they quate me for work but sometimes they charge less if it takes less time then the book time on it. the tech is cool and the advisor is cool they also give me the 15% costco auto service discount so after utah state and county taxes it should cost no moe than 365 or 375 all together for the entire replacement

i got the vin number from the salavage yard i wanted to check and see perhaps if i could confirm the miles that they claim it had
i was able to confirm that it was just sold by a local insurance agency at acution from an accident in January this year is when it was sold had a front end colission on the passenger side. shows just under 89k is what it was claimed to have in the online info.
i ran it through lexus drivers to see if i could just look perhaps it had been replaced or worked on once to see about the axle but aprently who ever owned it bought it local here in Salt lake city and only had it services at the dealership up to 20k once it hit 20k no more services and since its a OEM axle ill just assume its the orignal because if someone other than the dealership did it it would have been aftermarket probably so going in tuesday to have it installed and hopfully all is good

Last edited by ThumperPup; 03-29-19 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-29-19 | 06:20 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Buying used drive line components is like driving without a seat belt. You never know when you're gonna die. Good luck.
Old 03-29-19 | 10:46 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Buying used drive line components is like driving without a seat belt. You never know when you're gonna die. Good luck.
well its a good thing i don't wear a seatbelt LOL
joking
i do have cancer for real so life is life and i don't feel that used parts are any issues at all. i think used parts are fine depending on what the used part is
i have bought used struts when they havebeen electronic in the past used rack and pinion for cars in the past
i don't see the issue between a used one that can be properly inspeacted to make sure its good and functions
i deisded it what what my options to go with where for my choice thank you
Old 03-30-19 | 05:57 AM
jagtoes
Racer

well its a good thing i don't wear a seatbelt LOL
joking
i do have cancer for real so life is life and i don't feel that used parts are any issues at all. i think used parts are fine depending on what the used part is
i have bought used struts when they havebeen electronic in the past used rack and pinion for cars in the past
i don't see the issue between a used one that can be properly inspeacted to make sure its good and functions
i deisded it what what my options to go with where for my choice thank you
It's called wear. You cannot see or test for a lot of it . If you take apart and inspect the used unit and compare the results with new and they are reasonable then you'll be able to get more miles out of them. If you look at them and wiggle them and they seem all right then you are playing with your life. Just like cancer if you assume that the medication is doing it's job without testing then you're taking your chances. Hey it's your life so do what you want. Enjoy.
Old 03-30-19 | 07:31 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

thank you for your concern

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It's called wear. You cannot see or test for a lot of it . If you take apart and inspect the used unit and compare the results with new and they are reasonable then you'll be able to get more miles out of them. If you look at them and wiggle them and they seem all right then you are playing with your life. Just like cancer if you assume that the medication is doing it's job without testing then you're taking your chances. Hey it's your life so do what you want. Enjoy.

Last edited by ThumperPup; 03-30-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-30-19 | 08:18 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Did you remove the holder? After you remove the holder it should come off easly.
Old 04-01-19 | 05:11 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Did you remove the holder? After you remove the holder it should come off easly.
Yeah, technically it should but it didn't The bearing inside was seized in solid. Torch, hammer, no budge...

Quick Reply: shake until steady speed only when getting onto the highway