ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus ES 350 car won’t start, check VSC message appearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 06:47 AM
stasharp
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus ES 350 car won’t start, check VSC message appearing

Help! My 2007 Lexus has been a great car with no troubles. BUT now suddenly it won’t start. When attempting to start all lights come on as usual and push button gives you the green light as well but nothing after that, no starter noise or nothing. I did notice the fan comes on immediately even tho the car is cold and has been sitting over night. My dash also has the check VSC message. This is the third time this has happened, after the first time I let it sit for an hour and tried it again and car started and drove fine, no check engine lights or messages. One month later it did the exact same thing! This time it sat for about 8 hours before it started, again it ran great for a week and now it has been parked in the garage for 2 days and won’t start. All incidents ironically or not occurred with the first start up of the day. After the first incident I took it to a specialized Toyota/ Lexus mechanic and he kept it for 3 days and couldn’t duplicate the issue. Again, everything comes on regularly when attempting to start but engine won’t make a sound and the fan comes on immediately accompanied by a CHECK VSC message. Has anybody had similar problems!
The following users liked this post:
99RX300PDX (03-17-22)
Old 04-06-19, 08:08 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I think my car does that when I forget to put it in park when I shut it off,then try to start it later with it not in PARK. Maybe there is something wrong/intermittent with the park/neutral position switch.
99RX300PDX (03-17-22)
Old 04-06-19, 08:30 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 989 Likes on 743 Posts

Check the EFI fuse.
99RX300PDX (03-17-22)
Old 04-06-19, 09:37 AM
stasharp
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=nevernu;10485283]I think my car does that when I forget to put it in park when I shut it off,then try to start it later with it not in PARK. Maybe there is something wrong/intermittent with the park/neutral position

Last edited by stasharp; 04-06-19 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 09:39 AM
stasharp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Check the EFI fuse.
Will that fuse be labeled “EFI?”
Old 04-06-19, 09:45 AM
stasharp
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=stasharp;10485348]
Originally Posted by nevernu
I think my car does that when I forget to put it in park when I shut it off,then try to start it later with it not in PARK. Maybe there is something wrong/intermittent with the park/neutral position
That was my first thought actually! The car normally will let me know if I’m not in park. Not getting that message though! The fan coming on is befuddling being that it shouldn’t come on immediately like that, especially after sitting over night! A short maybe somewhere?
Old 04-06-19, 09:55 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stasharp
Will that fuse be labeled “EFI?”
Yes, it’s in front of the car, under the hood, 30A.
Old 04-06-19, 10:14 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

there are also mechanical connectors on the park/neutral safety switch so i've attached the info in case u want to take a look for looseness etc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01.pdf (191.6 KB, 469 views)
File Type: pdf
03.pdf (85.0 KB, 303 views)
Old 04-06-19, 12:04 PM
Scanmom3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine lights/vsc

I have a 2008 es350 I had the oil changed and a new axle shaft assembly done and about 40 miles later the VSC light engine light came on. Took it back and they said possible iol sensor issuer per the code. Went today and while they were driving my hubby home the low oil light came on. Any suggestions. TIA car has 119k never any other problems
Old 04-06-19, 01:10 PM
stasharp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Yes, it’s in front of the car, under the hood, 30A.
Well if I could kiss you I would! I checked the EFI fuse as you suggested and it was fried! So much that the part facing up with the 30 on it was jet black! The fuse crumbled while attempting to remove it basically due to it being brittle and burnt. To troubleshoot it I tried to start the car without the fuse and it did not start like b4 with the fan coming on immediately. I replaced the fuse with a new one and like magic it started rite up. Just to be sure I removed the new fuse and repeated the process of attempting to start it, it did not start. Put the fuse back in and everything worked fine! Thank you for helping me with this issue! You saved me a lot of time and even more money. I prayed over this issue this morning! Angel you are!!! May I ask, what does EFI stand for? Electric Fuel Injection maybe?
The following 2 users liked this post by stasharp:
ESh (04-06-19), Nelsons (10-24-23)
Old 04-06-19, 05:41 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

LOL

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection. It controls a lot of
things that are connected with ignition.

I’m glad you fixed the issue for free.
The following 3 users liked this post by ESh:
dta20502 (04-06-19), Nelsons (10-24-23), Viclow19 (03-11-22)
Old 04-06-19, 06:56 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

Impressive diagnosis!
ESh (03-16-22)
Old 04-15-19, 08:18 PM
MERDITHY
4th Gear

Default Happened to me

The first and only time my 07 ES 350 ever didn't start on me I had this exact same issue happen. I was picking up my children from daycare and there it was, engine turning over but it wouldn't crank. My husband went and picked up the car later that evening and it cranked up but he noticed that the engine looked to be running hot. 164k miles.
The next day we were driving it and all of a sudden every light on the dash comes on, the check VSC alert comes on and then the temp gage goes straight from hot to cold. Then the car started smoking. We pulled over thinking the car was about to blow up. Turns out it was radiator steam and there was no coolant in the radiator. Burned the radiator straight into two pieces.

I am not sure what permanent damage if any I did, but we fixed the radiator and then the car started leaking oil. Oil change place couldn't find anything wrong. We saw this as a sign of impending doom and sold it to an auto dealer.
Old 03-13-22, 06:33 PM
Ceh
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake light switch

Originally Posted by stasharp
Help! My 2007 Lexus has been a great car with no troubles. BUT now suddenly it won’t start. When attempting to start all lights come on as usual and push button gives you the green light as well but nothing after that, no starter noise or nothing. I did notice the fan comes on immediately even tho the car is cold and has been sitting over night. My dash also has the check VSC message. This is the third time this has happened, after the first time I let it sit for an hour and tried it again and car started and drove fine, no check engine lights or messages. One month later it did the exact same thing! This time it sat for about 8 hours before it started, again it ran great for a week and now it has been parked in the garage for 2 days and won’t start. All incidents ironically or not occurred with the first start up of the day. After the first incident I took it to a specialized Toyota/ Lexus mechanic and he kept it for 3 days and couldn’t duplicate the issue. Again, everything comes on regularly when attempting to start but engine won’t make a sound and the fan comes on immediately accompanied by a CHECK VSC message. Has anybody had similar problems!
I wouldn't let any of y'all work on my car cuz y'all have come up with ridiculous answers the brake light switch is bad change it and I guarantee of the car will start
Old 03-16-22, 10:59 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceh
I wouldn't let any of y'all work on my car cuz y'all have come up with ridiculous answers the brake light switch is bad change it and I guarantee of the car will start
? There were three sound suggestions and one was correct, and it was not the brake light switch, which a bad one would not prevent the engine from starting. See post #10.
The following 2 users liked this post by chuyrobles:
ESh (03-16-22), Funkdawg (03-16-22)

Quick Reply: Lexus ES 350 car won’t start, check VSC message appearing