ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

brake fluid flush ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 05:54 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default brake fluid flush ?

So im wondering does it really pay off to do a brake l fluid flush ? like i just had my brake pads replaced today the shop did not try to push a brake fluid flush on me they just put that pads on tested them out made sure they where good and then they where done this was the first time i eve rhad brakes done at a professional shop and they did not try to shove a brake fluid service on me for another 80-100 bucks so im wondering if it really pays to have the brake fluid changed and what would be noticed like i understand how brakes material words but not so sure about the brake fluid and that stuff.
like i noticed my brakes are a bit soft and slow to stop but thats because they are brand new and the bedding in the process has not been completed but also wondering if the soft brakes could be related to no flush being completed this time ?
Old 04-18-19, 06:05 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
So im wondering does it really pay off to do a brake l fluid flush ? like i just had my brake pads replaced today the shop did not try to push a brake fluid flush on me they just put that pads on tested them out made sure they where good and then they where done this was the first time i eve rhad brakes done at a professional shop and they did not try to shove a brake fluid service on me for another 80-100 bucks so im wondering if it really pays to have the brake fluid changed and what would be noticed like i understand how brakes material words but not so sure about the brake fluid and that stuff.
like i noticed my brakes are a bit soft and slow to stop but thats because they are brand new and the bedding in the process has not been completed but also wondering if the soft brakes could be related to no flush being completed this time ?
Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water through condensation. Water is compressible which would show up as a soft brake peddle. Also if the brakes are not bled you will get the same feeling of a soft peddle. Most mfg. recommend fluid change every 3 years or 50 K miles. If you have a tight system and the car is parked inside then you could extend the time between changes. It's not that big a deal. As for bedding in new brake pads that is necessary if you replace or turn the rotors. If it's just a pad change then you don't need to do it. Look on the web on how to bed in pads and rotors.
Old 04-18-19, 07:50 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water through condensation. Water is compressible which would show up as a soft brake peddle. Also if the brakes are not bled you will get the same feeling of a soft peddle. Most mfg. recommend fluid change every 3 years or 50 K miles. If you have a tight system and the car is parked inside then you could extend the time between changes. It's not that big a deal. As for bedding in new brake pads that is necessary if you replace or turn the rotors. If it's just a pad change then you don't need to do it. Look on the web on how to bed in pads and rotors.
thank you for the info here much appreciated for the info.
I am going to the dealership Saturday for a oil change and i have a 30 dollar off on service coupon to use so ill have them do the brake fluid flush then
i know that pep boys charges like 69.99 for it so im gong to go on a limb and say id think that after coupon the dealership price would probably be about that same ammount my car is not parked inside its an outdoor driveway parked vehicle in all weather climates the last time i had it done i think it was around october or november of 2017 so about a year and a half ago is when i bought the rotors pads and calipers last time and it had somewhere around 185k so about 35-40k ago yeah i drive alot in a year thats for sure.
Old 04-19-19, 03:03 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Before Anti-Lock Brake systems the brake lines were quite large. The brake fluid
passages in the ABS unit are very small and complex with pumps and valves. We
did not have to exchange brake fluid often then but it is an extremely good bit of
preventive maintenance now.
Old 10-14-19, 06:03 PM
tman9999
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water through condensation. Water is compressible which would show up as a soft brake peddle. Also if the brakes are not bled you will get the same feeling of a soft peddle. Most mfg. recommend fluid change every 3 years or 50 K miles.
actually, water isn’t compressible. Moisture in the brake fluid creates problems by lowering the boiling point of your brake fluid. That’s what you end up with with old brake fluid that has absorbed moisture due to its hygroscopic property. Under heavy braking you generate high amounts of heat that can cause your brake fluid to literally boil, producing compressible vapor that will lead to no or seriously reduced braking capability.

The other problem with old brake fluid that’s absorbed moisture is that it can create corrosion inside the brake system components like caliper linings, brake lines and so on. This corrosion degrades the internal surfaces of these components and also can degrade the rubber seals leading to reduced braking power (and an expensive rebuild. )
The following 3 users liked this post by tman9999:
mcomer (10-15-19), Racerd (10-25-19), Tootsall (10-27-19)
Old 10-27-19, 10:41 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

IMO, the answer is how long you plan to keep the car. if a long time, go for it. its worth it. its a fairly easy procedure if you have the right equipment. this is what is involved if you are curious.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...e_Bleeding.htm