ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Tie Rod Boot and Stab Link Boot torn will the torn boot affect anything ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 07:46 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Tie Rod Boot and Stab Link Boot torn will the torn boot affect anything ?

will a torn boot on a tire rod or a torn boot on the stab link cause anything to go wrong ? i know that it can cause nois when going over a bump for the stab link and i think i heard that it will cause a noise sometimes if its really bad when dirt gets in on the tie rod when turning is this correct ? i know i don't hear any noise coming from those areas.or causes

but will this do anything to affect the alignment or other components to wear quicker or go bad ?
Old 05-12-19, 08:10 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

Those two joints will go bad fast, bacause of the salt, water and dirt.
Old 05-12-19, 08:51 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

im just wondering about this cause im probably trading in the card sometime in the next 6 months if i was selling to a private party i would take care of it and fix it eat the money to be able to sell someone a safe good car but since im trading it in and i know dealerships will low ball the hell out of me because i have high miles on the vehicle im not worried about it due to that reason i just wonder if this will cause an affect on the alignment or what other parts i should worry about or should i only really worry about it when they start making noise ?
i know labor on the tie rod is like a half hour or something like that but the stab link is like gona run like 200-250 in labor so i just don't want to pump 450-500 into the car that i may not keep much longer unless its a saftey issues or unless it will cause more expensive damage mechanically
Old 05-12-19, 08:59 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
will a torn boot on a tire rod or a torn boot on the stab link cause anything to go wrong ? i know that it can cause nois when going over a bump for the stab link and i think i heard that it will cause a noise sometimes if its really bad when dirt gets in on the tie rod when turning is this correct ? i know i don't hear any noise coming from those areas.or causes

but will this do anything to affect the alignment or other components to wear quicker or go bad ?
Rust will start and increase wear of the parts. Steering will become loose and the alignment will go out causing wear on the tires. Eventually the joint will break which may cause an accident. All this will take time which can be 3 months or 6 months so if you are a gambling person just take your chances.
Old 05-12-19, 09:34 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Rust will start and increase wear of the parts. Steering will become loose and the alignment will go out causing wear on the tires. Eventually the joint will break which may cause an accident. All this will take time which can be 3 months or 6 months so if you are a gambling person just take your chances.
ok thanks
while i am a gambling person considered i go to vegas once a month play poker and roulette
ill take the chance while i search around at the same time to find someone who will do it reasonable costs ill look on the auto mechanic classfied on Craiglist see if i can find someone to do it reasonably priced
i can pick up my parts on rock auto for like 40 bucks for both parts so thats not the issues
Old 05-13-19, 04:08 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If you are planning on trading it in, why don’t you just jump ship now rather than replace just to wait another month or two?
Old 05-13-19, 09:54 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

It’s a cycle first the boot breaks, then the grease gets out/dries out, then crud gets in there, then it dries out, then it gets really loud, then it snaps. If it just broke it’s not going to all go to hell over night.
Old 05-14-19, 12:51 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by RXGS
If you are planning on trading it in, why don’t you just jump ship now rather than replace just to wait another month or two?
waiting for cash flow to come in sometime around July or August ill have a good amount of cash coming in i don't want to finance more than 10k and the car i want ill probably be somewhere around 22k-25k so i have my budget what im willing to spend per month and thats why i wont jump ship now i also need to wait till im back down in florida because market value on lexus in Utah are between 2000-4000 more here than for the same vehicle back east and down south so its all about timing and location